Tag Archives: Scotland

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for UK holiday homes

30 April, 2013energy_performance_certificate

An EPC (energy performance certificate) contains information about a property’s energy usage and typical energy costs. It also has recommendations about how to reduce energy and save money. It’s also a useful tool to help you reduce carbon emissions and appeal to eco-conscious holidaymakers.

Do I need one? If you let out your home for less than four months a year, it’s not a requirement to have an EPC. Similarly, as long as you have a booking contract/agreement/permission to let/licence to occupy, then it is not a requirement.

For holiday lets in Scotland that require an EPC, it’s also a requirement for home owners to display their certificate somewhere in the property – for example, in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler.

How to get an EPC

You’ll need to find an accredited assessor who will assess your property and produce the certificate. Some useful links:

England, Wales and Northern Ireland


For more on this, see www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/energy-performance-certificates

The content of this blog is intended only to provide a summary of matters of interest. It is not intended to be legal advice.