‘No-frills’ ferry travel has finally arrived on Brittany Ferries who are now running a low-cost ferry service to France and Spain from the UK.
The new économie service begins on 24 March and comes as a welcome option for both travellers holidaying in mainland Europe and owners of holiday lets visiting their properties.
Costs and journey times
Running between Portsmouth and Le Havre or Santander, the ferry service is 20-25% cheaper than the company’s standard crossings:
- France: the Portsmouth-Le Havre service runs five times each week and is from £79 (journey time 5hrs 30 mins)
- Spain: the Portsmouth-Santander service sails at weekends only and is from £169 (journey time around 26 hrs)
Prices quoted are for a one-way économie ticket for two people plus a car.
What you get
Although the Etretat ferry serving the low-cost routes is smaller than the usual ships, it still offers:
- Deck and lounge areas (with limited reserved seats)
- En-suite cabins
- Movie lounge
- Self-service restaurant
- Small duty-free shop
What don’t you get
Don’t expect the cruise-style experience you’d usually find with Brittany Ferries:
- No carpets and tea and coffee making facilities in the cabins
- No entertainment facilities, specifically for children
- No cash machines or currency exchange facilities
The smaller size of the no-frills ferries means that accessibility is limited. Check with Brittany Ferries before you book to ensure your mobility needs are catered for.
How do I book?
Visit www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/economie to find out more and book your crossing.
Published: 19 March 2014