Chateau | 8 bedrooms | sleeps 20
Le Chateau de la Vallee is idyllically set in beautiful rolling countryside.next to the beautiful Forest of Eu and nestling on the edge of the pretty village of Grandcourt. It is divided into two halves each sleeping up to 10 which can be rented separately or together, plus there's a pretty 3 bedroomed cottage sleeping up to 6 people in the grounds which can be rented with the chateau or on its own.The beach at Criel-sur-Mer is just a 15 minute scenic drive away and the cities of Dieppe and Abbeville are just half an hour away, while Paris is an easy two hour drive. The Chateau and its Cottage are fantastic properties with their own heated pool which have been lovingly renovated retaining a vast array of original features without being too fussy. They are furnished in a period style in keeping with their rustic surroundings and provide lots of little luxuries that make a holiday here something quite special.
|Size||Sleeps up to 20, 8 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Criel sur Mer 20 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||200 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Beauvais 80 km, Nearest railway: Blangy sur Bresle 12 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Jacuzzi or hot tub, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||8 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms of which 8 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (8), Double beds (6), Cots (4), Dining seats for 20, Lounge seats for 20|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set|
|Further details indoors|
The Chateau itself has been refurbished retaining masses of original features which sit alongside modern day luxuries. It is spacious, atmospheric and full of character without being too formal.
Maximum occupancy 10
Ideal for a large family, group of friends, or even a small family who want lots of room! The generous accommodation consists of the following:
* Beautiful entrance and dining hall with dazzling chandelier, huge open fireplace, grand formal dining table with seating for up to ten and lots of books and games!
* Large L-shaped kitchen/dining room. The kitchen is equipped with a dishwasher, oven, hob, microwave, washing machine, fridge/freezer and a smaller dining table.
* Large salon – a huge and peaceful living room with satellite TV, with plenty of English speaking channels, hi-fi, and DVD player. This room opens out onto the outdoor dining and barbecue area.
* Small salon – a smaller living room just off the main room for quiet moments.
* Bedroom One – pretty twin bedded room. Open fireplace and views of the garden.
* Downstairs shower room with shower unit, sink and WC.
* Bedroom Two – Double bed, built-in wardrobe and solid oak floor with open fireplace. Room for extra single bed if necessary. Lovely chandelier. Fabulous marble en suite bathroom with bath and shower attachment, WC, bidet and washbasin. DVD player.
* Bedroom Three – Double bed, built-in wardrobe and marble topped dressing table. Room for extra single bed if necessary. En suite shower room with multi-jet shower cubicle and facility to bath children, WC and washbasin.
* Bedroom Four – Absolutely huge family room – double bed, two singles and room for two more singles if you need them. Solid oak floor, fireplace, dazzling chandelier and huge walk-in wardrobe. Portable TV with Satellite TV and English speaking channels. Exposed beams and slanted ceiling. En suite bathroom with bath and shower attachment, WC and washbasin.
Garden furniture and barbecue in private patio area, children’s play area Shared use of fabulous heated swimming pool 10m x 5 m which will be open from early April to late October.
Large Salon with open fireplace, satellite TV, DVD player, hi-fi, fully equipped kitchen, large dining room with seating for 10, WC and shower room.
Mezzanine area overlooking salon.
Two double bedrooms both with en suite bathrooms, one with multi-jet shower unit and the other with bath and overhead shower, both with flat screen DVD player.
Large master bedroom with double and two single beds and en suite and smaller children's twin room off this room. Both bedrooms have flat screen DVD players.
Private outdoor terrace with outside seating for 10.
* Lounge – Lovely sitting room with solid oak flooring, exposed brickwork and views into the garden and outdoor dining, patio and barbecue area through the French doors. The lounge is equipped with Satellite TV with English channels, DVD player and hi-fi.
* Kitchen/Dining area – open plan kitchen and dining area with seating for six. The kitchen is fully equipped with oven, hob, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine and fridge/freezer.
* Bedroom One – cosy twin bedded room with solid oak floor and exposed brickwork. Views of garden.
* Bedroom Two – double bedded room with solid oak floor and room for cot if required. Views of garden.
* Bedroom Three – Children’s bunkbedded room, decorated in a child-friendly style!
* Bathroom - luxury spa bath with multi-jet shower, washbasin and WC.
* Garden furniture and barbecue (private), children’s play areas (shared) and fabulous 10m x 5m heated swimming pool (shared)
|Further details outdoors|
The outdoor heated shared pool is a generous 10 x 5 metres and there are plenty of loungers to go round plus five acres of gardens to lose yourself in. It is surrounded by a fence keeping the garden safe for smaller children. The pool is open from early April to late October.
The five acres of private gardens are traversed by the pretty river Yeres. There are some stunning views looking down to the water from the bridges as well as riverside walks within the grounds. There is a formal garden at the front of the property, a huge lawned area at the back which is fenced off where it meets the river so children can play safely in the garden. There are bridges over the river to a secret garden area, an orchard and the owners’ very own island which is wonderful for meditation sessions! There is also a large duck pond, home to seven friendly ducks, as well as a large meadow with a 12th century church ruin on it to explore. The meadow is also home to our two ponies and a donkey Pepito (or Pete for short!), who love meeting our guests. A holiday here can be spent busily pursuing all the activities on offer in the local area, or doing absolutely nothing except relaxing in the chateau and its grounds.
The Normandy region
Le Treport and Mers-les-Bain are about 20 minutes drive away and well worth a visit for their fantastic restaurants, interesting architecture and antique shops.
The city of Eu, with its striking cathedral is well worth a visit and the cities of Dieppe and Abbeville are only 30 minutes drive away.
It’s also well worth making the 40 minute journey to the beautiful seaside town of St Valery-sur-somme with its huge array of pretty boats moored where the Somme meets the sea. The shops are lovely here, as is the seafood! For glorious sandy beaches, Le Crotoy is a little farther north.
If you feel like venturing further afield, Paris is only 2 hours away with Disneyland and Parc Asterix being favourites for the children.
Day trips can be made to the bird sanctuary at Marquenterre, Le Touquet with its infamous golfing, Monet’s garden at Giverny and the battlefields of the Somme are on the doorstep as well as the amazing chateaux of Eu and Rambures.
* There are several riding schools in the area, catering for everyone from age three upwards.
* There is lots of fishing in the region.
* There are two quad biking tracks within 10 minutes drive.
* The area is very popular for green-laning.
* There are many fantastic brocantes every Sunday during the summer – highly recommended and a great and very French day out for all the family.
* There is golf at Le Touquet.
* There are wonderful cycle paths, walks and picnicking areas in the forest of Eu, two minutes away.
* There is amazing wildlife to watch.
* There are plenty of wonderful restaurants in the area.
* There are expansive pebble beaches at Criel-sur-Mer and Mers-les-Bain and sandy beaches at Le Crotoy.
* There’s the bird sanctuary to visit at Marquenterre.
* There’s a great fish market and a casino at Le Treport.
* There’s a water park, Bagatelle, near le Touquet.
* Paris can easily be done in a day trip.
* Disneyland and Parc Asterix can be done each in a day.
* There’s Monet’s garden to visit at Giverny.
* There’s a huge lake near Gamaches, about 10 minutes away, with canoeing, kayaking, waterski-ing and windsurfing.
* There’s tennis in the nearby town of Neufchatel en Bray.
* There’s fantastic shopping to be done in cosmopolitan Dieppe.
Grandcourt is a typical pretty French country village with a breathtaking church and just two shops – a grocers, and that all-important bakers where after a three minute walk you will be able to buy your freshly baked bread and croissants each morning for breakfast. The village also has its own very authentic bar in the village square. The locals are very friendly and it’s impossible to pass someone in the street without them saying a friendly “bonjour”. The village is right on the edge of the beautiful Forest of Eu with its amazing cycle paths and walks and less than 10 minutes drive through the forest brings you to the picturesque market town of Blangy-sur-Bresle with its lively Sunday morning market and eclectic collection of shops as well as a large supermarket. Just 15 minutes drive away is the sleepy coastal town of Criel-sur-Mer with its huge expanse of beach.