Villa | 5 bedrooms | sleeps 10
This imposing two-storey villa is set in stunning grounds, which have the quality of a park. Here you can feel sheltered and secluded in each separate area, including that of the pool. The spaciousness of both the exterior and interior easily accommodates a large group. Modern comforts have been succesfully integrated with traditional, antique-style furnishings and original Tuscan architectural features, dating back to the XVIII century.
The rooms preserve many of the design elements typical of the Tuscan rustic style, such as wood-beamed ceilings; stone floors; white or colour washed walls; glass fronted dressers; dark wood furniture and wood-burning fireplaces. Some of the bedrooms even feature decorative wrought-iron bedsteads with a net-curtain canopy above the bedhead, so characteristic of past times in this region. Looking out on to the garden, a generous-sized stone terrace, shaded by a loggia-roof, makes the ideal spot to relax and dine together at the 18/20-seater table. The history of the location is also reflected in its many tall, mature trees, such as the evergreen holm-oaks and pines and the sweet-scented flowering lime trees that dot the manicured lawns and grace the gravelled forecourt.
Accommodation: There are mosquito-blinds at all the windows and central-heating throughout.
At ground-floor level you step directly into a small sitting-room, with Sat.TV and working fireplace. This leads open-plan into a study, from where glass doors open into the entrance hallway. Issuing from here is the dining-room, with 13-seater table, Sat.TV and two attractive, glass-fronted cabinets let into the wall. You proceed into the fully equipped kitchen and adjoining laundry room. Here French doors take you out to a little gravelled terrace at the rear of the property, from where Cortona is visible. There is also a downstairs bathroom with shower.
Stairs lead up to the top floor, which comprises the following rooms: A bathroom with bathtub, shower and all modern fittings. A suite, consisting of sitting-room area with sofa, wardrobe, dressing-table and bookshelves, from where a few steps lead up to a double-bedded room. The floors are natural-wood parquet. A double bedroom, with wrought-iron bedframe and natural-wood parquet floors. A twin-bedded room. Another double bedroom, with wrought-iron bedframe and ensuite bathroom with large shower cubicle. Another double bedroom, with wood-framed bed and round, net-curtain canopy above the bedhead; also with ensuite bathroom with shower cubicle.
Garden & Swimming Pool: From a quiet country road, you turn through the automatic entrance gates and proceed along the Cypress-lined driveway, which passes between lawns. In front of the cream-washed villa with its green shutters is an informal gravelled parking area, where an ancient covered well still stands. Lemon trees and geraniums in large terracotta pots add bright splashes of colour, as do an exotic pomegranite tree with its vivid red blooms and the flowering wisteria trailing over the loggia. The grounds also contain a small aviary; a ping-pong table; a hamac and a cosy gazebo accommodating cane garden furniture.
Set well out of sight of the house in its own secluded lawn area, separated by high hedges from the main garden, lies the oval swimming pool (5 x 10 meters and 1,5 meters max deep). To one side, raised flowerbeds, planted with floribunda roses, lavender, rosemary and oleander bushes, form a protective screen. At the far end, a border of young Cypress trees looks out over the spectacular backdrop of the unspoilt Val di Chiana countryside, with Montepulciano perched on its hilltop in the distance. This suntrap location is fully equipped with sunloungers and sunshades, as well as a round jacuzzi pool under the shade of one poolside gazebo and a mini outdoor fitness-centre under another.
The whole area is securely fenced-in and garden lights serve to illuminate the grounds and poolside at night, if required. In this peaceful paradise only birdsong punctuates the silence!
PLEASE NOTE: The property owner has a fully operational collection of vintage 1950's open-topped sportscars, such as a British MG and Triumph. These are kept in the garage adjoining the villa and can be hired by guests on request (extra charge!).
Suggested event for this property: Palio di Siena tickets.
While staying at this property we would like you to consider the possibility to attend the famous Palio di Siena, a world wide renowned event. The Palio takes place twice a year on July 2nd and on August 16. You can contact us to reserve your tickets.
|Size||Sleeps up to 10, 5 bedrooms|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Florence - Amerigo Vespucci 120 km, Nearest railway: Camucia 18 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Jacuzzi or hot tub|
|General||Central heating, TV, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms of which 4 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (4)|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
The Tuscany region
Villa Papale is located between Cortona and Montepulciano as well as with easy reach of most important Tuscan places of interest. The nearest airport is Florence (about an hour and a half). Pisa is about two hours and Rome airports both about two and a half hours away.
The nearest village is Chianacce 4 km. Cortona, which is a large town boasting wonderful art and architecture as well as all modern services is 20 km.
OTHER FACILITIES AVAILABLE NEARBY: Tennis, golf, the beach, horse riding, bike riding, hiking, wine tasting, fabulous dining, thermal spas, Hot air balloon flying, designer out let shopping, Etruscan ruins and Renaissance and medieval art and architecture.
Nearest town: Chianacce km 3,5
Restaurants: Bettolle km 9
Supermarket: Sinalunga km 14
Grocery: Chianacce km 3,5
Shops: Bettolle km 9
Outlets: Foiano della Chiana km 13
Bank: Bettolle km 9
Post office: Bettolle km 9
Chemistry: Bettolle km 9
Tennis court: Bettolle km 9
Golf: Bettolle km 9
Horse riding: Bettolle km 12
SPA: Rapolano Terme km 34
Train station: Sinalunga km 14
Cortona is a small but fascinating city in the province of Arezzo, Tuscany, central Italy, situated on a commanding hill, and overlooking Lake Trasimeno. Its cyclopean walls reveal its Etruscan origins. It was one of the twelve cities of Etruria and in its vicinity many ruins and Etruscan tombs may be seen. Cortona sided against Rome until 310 B.C. when Fabius Rullianus defeated the Etruscans and took Perugia. Perugia, with other cities, including Cortona, then made peace with Rome. Later Cortona was destroyed by the Lombards but was soon rebuilt. In the 14 C, it was governed by the Casali and afterwards became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Many famous men were born or lived in Cortona, among them Brother Elias (Elia Coppi), the famous companion of St. Francis of Assisi, and later Vicar-General of the Franciscan Order; Cardinals Egidio Boni and Silvio Passerini; the painter Luca Signorelli; the architect and painter Pietro Berrettini (Pietro da Cortona). St. Margaret of Cortona (1248-97) was born at Laviano (Alviano) in the Diocese of Chiusi, and became the mistress of a nobleman of the vicinity. On discovering his body after he had met a violent death, she repented and, after a public penance, retired to Cortona, where she took the habit of a Tertiary of St. Francis and devoted her life to works of penance and charity. Leo X permitted her veneration at Cortona, and Urban VIII extended the privilege to the Franciscan Order. Benedict XIII canonised her in 1728. Her body rests in a beautiful sarcophagus in the church dedicated to her at Cortona.
It is not known whether Cortona was an episcopal see previous to its destruction by the Lombards. From that time until 1325 it belonged to the Diocese of Arezzo. In that year, at the request of Guglielmo Casali, John XXII raised Cortona to episcopal rank, as a reward for the fidelity of its Guelph populace, Arezzo remaining Ghibelline. The first bishop was Rainerio Ubertini. Other bishops were Luca Grazio, who was a distinguished member of the Council of Florence (1438); Matteo Concini (1560) and Gerolamo Gaddi (1562) were present at the Council of Trent. The cathedral and the other churches of Cortona possess numerous works of art, especially paintings of the school of Luca Signorelli and of Fra Angelico.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
You're booking with
Croci Manola (Property Manager InTuscany)
- 1 Years listed
100% Response rate
Based in Italy
Credit cards accepted
- 379 properties
- 127 properties
- Lake Trasimeno
- 86 properties
- Castiglione del Lago
- 71 properties
- 70 properties
- Castiglion Fiorentino
- 61 properties
- 58 properties
- 56 properties
- Monte San Savino
- 35 properties
- San Giovanni d'Asso
- 34 properties
- Foiano della Chiana
- 34 properties
- 25 properties
- Tuoro sul Trasimeno
- 23 properties
- Passignano sul Trasimeno
- 23 properties
- Torrita di Siena
- 20 properties
- 20 properties
- Chianciano Terme
- 19 properties
- Val di Chiana
- 18 properties
- 17 properties
- 13 properties