Barn | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
A fantastic use of stone, bleached wood & light contemporary furnishings along with a roof terrace perfect for an alfresco breakfast or wine & cheese as you watch the sun go down make Le Batiment a very special place to stay.
The house is converted from a traditional stone barn & stands in the small, peaceful and very pretty French village of Puymoreau. The village is surrounded by the rolling countryside of the Charente Maritime region, bordered by vibrant sunflower fields.
All the old features of exposed stone walls & original beams have been carefully preserved but the finish is light, airy & contemporary to give a comfortable living space with all modern comforts.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Fouras 45 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car advised, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest Amenities||4 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: La Rochelle 70 km, Nearest railway: St Jean d'Angely 8 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Telephone, Table tennis, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 5|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Access||Wheelchair users, Secure parking|
|Further details indoors|
|Further details outdoors|
We have lockable garaged parking available on request
The Poitou-Charentes/Vendee region
Charente-Maritime enjoys a mild Gulf Stream climate and almost as much summer sun as the Mediterranean, with Indian summers most years so the summer seems to stretch from April to October.
St Jean d'Angely
The village offers a retreat for those looking to withdraw from the hustle and bustle or the ideal location from which to explore this delightful region. There are many chateaux within easy driving distance from Le Batiment and the nearest sandy beaches are only 30 minutes away. We are just 45 minutes from the historic city of La Rochelle and the recently tagged "new St Tropez", Ile de Re.
The old market town of St Jean d’Angely is 5 miles away & has a lively twice weekly produce market (Wednesday & Saturday) selling superb fish & seafood from the nearby coast plus local cheeses ; fruit; veg etc. We love to stroll around the market & then enjoy a coffee in the square. There are plenty of excellent restaurants within easy reach & we are happy to provide recommendations!
Cognac is a 30 minute drive away where there are several distilleries offering guided tours & the theme park, Futuroscope, is just an hour away.
• Horse Riding-There is a horse-riding stables with indoor sand school in the village itself (more details available on enquiry)
• Swimming & Watersports - There is a great Aqua Centre in St Jean d’Angely with pools, water- flumes, aqua activities and a lake for canoeing & kayaking.
• Tennis – courts are available at Loulay village about 5 minutes north of Puymoreau
• Vineyards & Winetasting- There are local vineyards in the area or the well-known vineyards of Bordeaux are just over an hour away – very accessible for a day out wine-tasting & exploring.
• Walking & Cycling -The area is great for walking or cycling with woods within walking distance of Le Batiment cottage with picnic areas & woodland paths.
• Churches, Chateaux & Architecture -The ancient Compostela pilgrim’s route runs very close by to the village & there are churches of historical interest nearby in Aulnay, Saintes & Surgeres. There are several pretty & interesting chateaux in the locality including La Roche Courbon .
• Venise Verte (Green Venice) is just up the road. You can take out a small flat-bottomed boat on the Marais Poitevin either paddling yourself or with someone to do it for you! Take a picnic & make a day of it or alternatively take a lunch or dinner cruise along the quiet backwaters.