Farmhouse | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 9
The accommodation consists of two houses, 5 metres apart, in a secluded garden with a heated pool. They are situated in the small hamlet of Lage, close to Vanzay and Couhé, which provide a good selection of shops, bars and restaurants.
Broadband internet access provided.
Bed linen, hand and bath towels provided.
Well behaved pets welcome.
Some recent comments from the Les Canards guest book:
"Relaxing holiday in a marvellous house, both for children and adults."
"Super holiday in a great house which had everything we could possibly need."
"Very relaxing holiday; swimming pool excellent and the house has everything you could wish for."
"We have had a wonderful family holiday. The accommodation has been perfect for us. Pool and pool house much appreciated."
"We had a wonderful time at the property, the weather was great too. It was such a lovely rural area and perfect place to get away from it all. Very impressed with how you look after the property, the swimming pool is excellent and it is fully equipped to make life easier all round.
I am certain we will look to book again in the near future."
|Size||Sleeps up to 9, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||La Rochelle 100 km|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||8 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Poitiers 30 km, Nearest railway: Poitiers 30 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||TV, CD player, Telephone, Table tennis, Games room, Safe, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 3 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (5), Double beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 11|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Further details indoors|
The larger of the two houses has a well-equipped kitchen with dishwasher, microwave and fridge freezer, and a separate utility room with washing machine. The ground floor of the house also has a dining room and a large lounge with English freeview satellite TV. These are connected by a hallway leading to a bathroom with shower. Stairs from the hallway lead to the first floor, where there are two large bedrooms, one with a king size bed and single bed, and one with two single beds. A modern cot is also available. Above the lounge there is a mezzanine floor, with a discrete curtained area including a comfortable double futon bed which forms one of the sleeping areas. In addition there is a bathroom with bath and shower attachment and a separate toilet.
The second of the two houses has a pretty kitchen/dining area with fridge and cuisiniere, which is open to the lounge-type sitting area. There is also a shower room and separate toilet on the ground floor. An open wooden staircase leads to a large bedroom with two single beds, and a separate toilet and basin. This house also has the use of the utility room, which is separate from the main house.
|Further details outdoors|
Both properties are set within a private garden laid mainly to grass but with gravel drive and paths. At the end of the garden is a 10 X 5 metre, heated swimming pool with underwater lighting and Roman steps, surrounded by a paved a gravel terrace which provides an ample sunbathing and sitting area. The pool is heated and available from 1st June until 30th September and has been sited so that it benefits from sun from dawn until dusk. Near the pool is a 'pool house', with sink, fridge, toilet and shower.
There is a games room, with table tennis and guests are welcome to use our bicycles - the surrounding area is beautifully flat and encourages all the party to do a little cycling!
The two houses are both rented within the one quoted price and are situated together in a secluded, shady garden. The pool is fenced so that children can play safely in the garden.
The Poitou-Charentes/Vendee region
South West France - Poitou Charentes - A Region to Discover
This two house property is situated in the Pays Mellois in Poitou Charentes, South West France. This is an easy day’s drive from the Channel ports and bordered by the market towns of Couhé and Lezay to the north and Chef-Boutonne and Sauzé-Vaussais to the south. It is an area rich in history and culture and, due to its mini climate, this is claimed to be the second sunniest region in France. It offers a wealth of attractions and places of interest for young and old. Within easy range can be found the historic port of La Rochelle, the unique canal system of Le Marais Poitevin (Green Venice), the famous cinematic theme park of Futuroscope near Poitiers, the valleys of the Vienne and Charente rivers and, for the children, the ever-popular Valley of the Monkeys. For wine lovers the region is ideally situated mid way between the Loire valley and the vineyards of Bordeaux and the spiritual delights of Cognac are only a short drive away.
For those keen on golf there are exceptionally beautiful, and reasonable, courses at Les Forges, Mazière, Cognac, Angouleme and Poitiers. There are facilities for tennis, fishing, canoeing and horse riding close by, and the gently undulating countryside makes it ideal for cycling. If you enjoy your food there are some outstanding regional specialities in the nearby restaurants; foie gras, duck, the wonderful array of fresh sea food, and the excellent local cheeses.
One of the delights of this region is that the people are so friendly; it has not been spoilt by heavy tourism and the welcome you receive from everyone is genuine and warm.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE REGION
1. Futuroscope: Situated just north of Poitiers, Futuroscope is the largest cinematic theme park in Europe. There are areas of interest for all age groups and it provides a stimulating and fun day out culminating in an impressive laser show at night.
2. La Rochelle: The historic port of La Rochelle is a must for any visitor to the region. Its sea food restaurants are famous throughout Europe and its range of fashionable boutiques, sheltering under the famous arcades, are some of the finest outside Paris. Time should be found to visit the aquarium and to visit the famous towers which surround the old port.
3. Ile de Ré: Only a short distance from La Rochelle, linked to the mainland by a stunning curved bridge, is the Ile de Ré. Known as the St Tropez of the west coast, it offers miles of sandy beaches and the old world charm of St Martin. It is the summer playground for many French politicians and stars of the entertainment world.
4. Marais Poitevin: Often known as ‘Green Venice’, the Marais Poitevin provides a remarkable web of interlinked canals in the most stunning natural setting. Visitors can hire boats and spend hours exploring this unique water system. It covers 96,000 hectares and sits between the sea to the west, the Vendée to the north and Niort to the east.
5. Valley of the Monkeys: No child’s holiday in the Poitou-Charentes is complete without a visit to La Vallée des Singes. There are thirty different species of monkeys on view and visitors can wander amongst the smaller monkeys and feed and touch them. The larger gorillas are safely contained on their own islands!
6. Charente River: Within a few kilometres of the properties winds the enchanting Charente River. At the Aire de Rejallant, near Ruffec,, one can hire canoes and spend from two hours to a whole day exploring this fascinating waterway. (Return transport provided). There are lovely places to picnic, sandy paddling and swimming areas, as well as a bar restaurant.
7. Velo Rail: Running amongst the lovely countryside between the Charente and Vienne Rivers is the old railway line which has been imaginatively converted to provide hours of fun for all the family. Up to 5 people can travel together (two pedalling) and it enables the whole family to discover all the hidden delights of an old railway line.
8. Angouleme: The old fortified hill town of Angouleme, capital of the Charente, is the centre of cartoon and image in France. The old town, perched high on a rock overlooking the Charente River, is full of lovely shops, cafes and restaurants; to sit out in summer in one of the tree lined squares provides one of those special holiday memories.
9. Cognac: Under an hour’s drive away is Cognac, the home of brandy. Many of the big name distillers offer impressive tours including train rides through miles of vaulted cellars. The town itself, situated on the banks of the Charente, is well worth a visit. In nearby Jarnac you can visit the birthplace of former French President Mitterand.
10. Rochefort: The former home of the French navy at the mouth of the Charente is a town with many fascinating places to visit. The Corderie Royale, the former rope making factory, has been beautifully restored and offers visitors the chance to see how rope has been made throughout the centuries. Just nearby, in a dry dock, you can see the reconstruction underway of the Hermione, a French sailing ship that went to the aid of the American colonist.
Lage is a tiny hamlet situated 5 miles from the small town of Couhe.
There are numerous activities and passtimes in the local area, such as:
Canoeing – Vivonne, (you can check availability in the tourist office at Couhé)
Vallée des Singes – open air monkey park: chimps, gorillas etc. Signposted from Couhé
Géants du Ciel – outdoor large bird aviary – Chauvigny
La Rochelle / Isle de Ré – excellent seaside areas: 1 ½ hours drive
Swimming Lake - at Les Iles de Payré – 10 km north of Couhé
Riding – Relais Anché at Villenon ( between Voulon and Anché 15km N/E of Couhé)
Tennis – two covered and two outdoor courts in Couhé
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
21 Oct 2012
"get away from the city"
We had a fabulous time in Les Canards. There is lots of space for everyone. The ping pong table and the pool are the winners. But there are loads of other things you could enjoy ie bikes, games, badminton etc. the cottages are in the middle of nowhere so this is for someone looking for peaceful holidays. the grocery shop is a while away so you certainly need a car. We did a couple of day trips: one to Poitiers and the other to La Rochelle. Excellent time out - recommend both. The cottages are well equipped including room by the pool. Everything you need to enjoy your cooking or bbq. All of my friends enjoyed the place. Thanks a lot to the owners. We did recommend the place to friends but unfortunately the dates the wanted where not available. not surprised because in low season it is a bargain:)
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
- 3 Years listed
90% Response rate
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site
- St Jean d'Angely
- 51 properties
- 20 properties
- 19 properties
- 19 properties
- 17 properties
- 17 properties
- Saint Pardoux-Isaac
- 16 properties
- Sauze Vaussais
- 16 properties
- 15 properties
- 15 properties
- Chef Boutonne
- 15 properties
- 14 properties
- 13 properties
- 13 properties
- 11 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- Bussiere Poitevine
- 7 properties
- L'Isle Jourdain
- 7 properties
- 6 properties