Italy: renting your property short term

Owner advice
Property services
Owner advice > Buy to Let Guide for your Holiday Home > Italy: renting your property short term

Italy: renting your property short term

Each Italian region has its own regulations and requirements when it comes to letting out your holiday home to paying guests. It is important that you are fully informed of the situation in your locality.

Depending on the location of your property and the amount of units you regularly rent out, you will either be classed as a commercial (imprenditoriale) or non-commercial (occasionale) landlord. These both carry different obligations and we recommend you consult a commercialista business consultant to ensure you fully comply.

It's very important that when you make the decision to rent out the property to guests that you check with your local tourism office - Azienda Provinciale per il Turismo (APT) - as to the specific requirements. However, the information provided below will give you an overview.

If in any doubt about any of the points raised, you should consult and delegate obligations to a professional commercialista. You should also be aware of all real estate taxes payable in Italy.

Source: Buying a house in Italy (Crimson Publishing, 2008).

Non-commercial, occasionale, landlord

  • You are obliged to inform the local council - comune - of the precise location of the premises for rent. This is done through a form provided by the Regional Assessorate of Tourism. You must provide the number of bedrooms, beds and bathrooms.

  • A copy of this self declaration is passed onto your local APT within 30 days.

  • If you make any alterations or additions to the property it is mandatory to report these to the council.

  • If you decide to 'retire' from the lettings business and keep your house for the use of friends and family, you will still need to inform the council of non-Italian visitors within 48 hours of their arrival. This is done through a comunicazione di cessione di fabbricato a cittadino straniero (notication of transfer of property to a foreign citizen). Although this is not enforced in all provinces, if you want to comply with regulations you must see it as an essential formality.

Commercial, imprenditoriale, landlord

  • You will be obliged to fulfill the following requirements (however, these standards are expected of holiday home owners even if you don't fall into this category) :

    • Cleaning between each rental, at least once per week

    • Fresh linen at each changeover and whenever requested by a guest

    • Supply of electricity, gas, water and heating

    • Maintenance, repair or replacement of defective fittings and furniture

    • Meeting guests upon arrival and making sure their accommodation is available

  • Each of your units will be given points and graded on a scale of one to four according to its facilities. This grade must be clearly displayed for guests to see. To obtain certification you must present documentation at your local tourism office, including:

    • A form from your local APT - completed with: your full details and those of your local representative; your periods of business; the nature of your business; a description of the furniture and fittings; the exact location of the properties; the type of buildings; and the prices guests pay (including VAT - IVA in Italy).

    • A professionally drafted groundplan of the units showing each room

    • Deeds proving the availability of the accommodation

    • Proof of the Land Registry status of the units

  • Check with your local APT as to any other paperwork you need to provide.