EOT Licence - Letting out Greek and Crete Properties

Owner advice
Property services
Owner advice > Buy to Let Guide for your Holiday Home > EOT Licence for Greece holiday lets

EOT Licence for Greece holiday lets

All holiday home owners wishing to let out their property must acquire an EOT Licence (Ellinikos Organismos Tourismou) issued by the Greek National Tourist Organisation.

This has been the case for many years, but has come to the fore again in recent months since the tax status of holiday lets was changed. Since July 2010, holiday lets have been treated as a business for tax purposes, which leads to added measures necessary for holiday home owners to factor in.

EOT - what is it?

If you're planing on renting out your Greek property on a short-term let basis (less than 3 months) to holidaymakers, the licence is a legal requirement. The law applies to those owners who are letting through Holiday Lettings or just to friends.

The licence is designed to ensure that holiday accommodation is of a sufficient standard and the government is very keen that visitors to the islands can stay in property that is safe and will give the holidaymakers a good impression of Greek standards. The EOT licence will confirm that your property meets the exacting standards of the Greek Tourist board. The Greek authorities have started to clamp down on holiday home owners that do not have the necessary licence: if you are caught renting your property without the necessary permit, you could face a very hefty fine and may even face deportation.

What should I do?

Getting a licence is not always plain sailing. It's wise to seek advice from a local person well versed in these matters to assist you. Aside from meeting the standards, the licences are also costly. A five year licence cost from €3,000to €5,000. However, on the bright side, renewal costs are minimal.

The rules around obtaining a licence do vary from region to region and each property is assessed on it own merits and it is worth noting that criteria can change. However, whether you're buying a holiday home or have already bought one, important considerations before applying for the licence are:

  • It is vital that the property specification is exactly as per the architect plans and minimum room sizes are respected.

  • If your holiday home is located within a block or a complex, or is a maisonette, then all properties of the plot are required to have an EOT licence. It will not be possible to acquire a licence for just the properties that are rented out.

  • If the property has the benefit of a swimming pool then it must be marked with depth markings and have warning signs around the pool.

  • Your pool should be constructed with a depth of no more than 1.70m. If you already have a pool which is deeper than this then you must have a lifeguard on duty which can be costly and impractical.

  • A licence must be obtained from the Town Hall to "operate" a swimming pool. If you do not have a licence and a holidaymaker is injured at your pool, you could face serious legal implications.

  • Your property must accessible by a public road.

The following supporting documents will also be required before the short-term rental licence will be awarded:

  • A certificate that you have no criminal record.

  • A certificate that you have no outstanding tax liabilities.

  • A signed declaration that it is your intention to rent the property.

  • A copy of your proposed rental agreement contract.

  • A certificate of water clarity for the property.

  • Confirmation from an architect that the plumbing and sewerage meet official requirements.

  • An environmental survey from an architect confirming that the property is suitable for rental purposes.

  • A Fire certificate from the local fire officer who will check fire exists and fire extinguishers on the premises.

  • The original and a copy of the planning permission (if applicable).

  • A statement from the architect that the property has been constructed to earthquake building regulations.

  • Anything else?

    If you are intending to rent your property for long term lets over three months you may not need to acquire a licence, however, it is still best to check with the local authority just in case. You can find offices of the EOT in most towns or you can visit their website at EOT for the latest information.

    For the latest information on Greece holiday villas and apartments being handled as a business for tax purposes, the website livingincrete.net has produced a document with more details.

  • Sources:ASSETSURE: Insurance for Holiday Homes and Second Homes and Living in Crete.