Energy Performance Certificates for UK holiday homes: June 2011 onwards

Owner advice
Property services
Owner advice > Buy to Let Guide for your Holiday Home > Energy Performance Certificates for UK holiday homes: June 2011 onwards

Energy Performance Certificates for holiday homes in England and Wales: June 2011 onwards

The Department of Communities and Local Government is publishing guidance on the requirement of holiday home owners to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Until now, properties used for short term lets were not obliged to have one, but the new government guidelines will be enforced from 30 June 2011. They were initially set to be in place by April, but the start has been pushed back in order to give people more time to prepare.

They will apply for all homes that are let out for a combined total of four months in any 12 month period.

All buildings that are subject to Building Regulations will be required to have one, meaning that caravans and mobile homes will be exempt.

How do I get one?

An EPC will be issued to you following an inspection of your property by a Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA). Surveys start at £29.99 and vary depending on the size of the property and the surveyor used. The DEA will then rate your property on how energy efficient it is.

How do the ratings work?

Properties are given a rating from ‘A’ to ‘G’ (‘A’ being for the most energy efficient homes). Currently, the average rating for homes is ‘D’.

What happens if I don’t have one?

You could face a penalty of up to £200 per day, so it is vitally important to make sure you have yours. Most EPCs last for 10 years.

Find a local Domestic Energy Assessor