Funchal Charming Old Town Flat – Home 1115069 Apartment
- 2 bedrooms
- 4 sleeps
- min stay varies
Funchal Charming Old Town Flat – Home 1115069
- 2 bedrooms
- sleeps 4
- min stay varies
Apartment / 2 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms / sleeps 4
- Beach / lakeside relaxation
- Nearest beach 0.5 km
- Child friendly
- Car not necessary
- No pets allowed
Description from owner
Funchal Charming Old Town Flat
A truly beautiful 2 bedroom flat located in the heart of the Old Town of Funchal. You have the most charming part of the city at your feet, no car necessary as all the best restaurants, shops, market and sea are a short walk away. Enjoy the luxury of space and peace and quiet in this very well furnished apartment. The owners have made sure you have everything you could want for a fantastic holiday. If you are planning on a week holiday or a 3 month winter break this is a stunning home from home.
2 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms with private sea view balcony
Approximately 90m2 (969ft2) apartment divided as follows:
• 1st bedroom – 17m2 (183ft2) with a private balcony of 3,5m2 (38ft2) and with a private bathroom of 3m2 (32ft2) with a shower
• 2nd bedroom – 13m2 (140ft2) with window
• 2nd bathroom – 6 m2 (65ft2) with bath and hair drier
• Kitchen – 12 m2 (129ft2) with a balcony of 4m2 (43ft2)
• Living and dining room – 30m2 (323ft2) with window
Features & Amenities
• Modern Lift
• Private car parking place
• Access to the rooftop for amazing views
• Fully equipped kitchen, including, among other, a refrigerator, a stove, an woven, a micro waves, an washing machine, a toaster, a kettle, an electric mixer and even a Nespresso coffee machine
• One bathroom equipped for guests with disabilities
• Wireless broadband free access
• LCD TV with cable broadcasting dozens of international channels
• DVD Player and lots of best sellers DVD's films
• Sound Dock for Iphone 4 and 5
Nearby Facilities (walking distances in minutes)
• ATM cash machines – 3 minutes
• Health clinic – 2 minutes
• Market – 3 minutes
• Pharmacy – 3 minutes
• Post office – 2 minutes
• Shopping centre – 5 minutes
• Supermarket – 4 minutes
• Taxi stop – 5 minutes
Location & Charm
You can relax in this fabulous apartment, with views overlooking Funchal, and enjoy the especially lovely sunsets from your private balcony. For truly amazing views, use the scenic rooftop terrace above the apartment, where you can stretch out or just be inspired by some amazing views over Funchal.
Enjoy the trendy lifestyle of the old streets of Zona Velha within a 2-minute stroll. Experience the smells and tastes of Madeira at the Farmers Market (“Mercado dos Lavradores”) within 3 minutes where you can easily find everything from fresh fish, vegetables and fruits to flowers and traditional handicrafts. And why not go swimming in the sea at Barreirinha Beach? Take advantage of year-round sunshine and warm Atlantic Ocean waters less than a 10-minute walk away. Explore the centre of town, just a 12-minute walk to visit the Sé Cathedral and the charming cafés by the Theatre.
No car is needed, although we do offer a free parking place if you do decide to hire one.
Our nearby Suggestions (walking distances in minutes))
- Restaurants: For fish, “Gavião Novo” (4 minutes), “Marisa” (5 minutes) and “Jango” (5 minutes). For meat, “Taberna da Esquina” (4 minutes). For rice “Riso” (8 minutes). Other well- known restaurants: “O Forte” (7 minutes), “O Armazém do Sal” (10 minutes), “Sabor a Fado” (4 minutes) and “O Tapassol (5 minutes)”.
- Pastries: “Penha d' Águia” (2 minutes): try delicious “queijadas” and “pastel de nata”.
- Bars: “Esplanada da Barreirinha” (10 minutes): for a pre-dinner drink with sunset views. “Venda Velha” and “Mercearia da Poncha” to drink the most famous Madeira drink, Poncha. Not to be missed: those with maracujá and tangerine.
- “Barreirinha” beach (10 minutes): A public beach with a sea-level sun deck.
- “Socorro Church” (10 minutes) also known as “Santa Maria Maior Church”: One of the most attractive churches in Madeira. The building was begun in the middle of the 16th Century, with new and important work carried out a century later. Demolished in 1752, a new and bigger church was built on the site. From the original chapel remains an exotic wood and silver sacrarium. The facade of the present church is marvellous, with its entrance doors a notable feature.
- Rua de Santa Maria (3 minutes) – Strolling down the narrow streets you can enjoy some of the old culture that's left in this particular part of town. A lot of the old buildings still exist, some of which have been transformed into restaurants and bars. In addition, there is a new attraction, the “Arte de Portas Abertas”, which is a public art programme to transform the Old Town into a permanent outdoor art gallery, displaying over 200 works of art, by invited artists, painted on Rua de Santa Maria's doors. This colourful project has helped to revitalise this part of town and make it more culturally significant for both locals and visitors.
- Mercado dos Lavradores (3 minutes) – The Farmers Market is a must see! It is one of the highlights that Madeira has to offer, where all scents, colours, flavours and tradition combine to delight those who visit it. Built in 1939, in a gracious combination of 'art deco' and the modernist style, the main entrance and interior are decorated with panels of tiles, produced in Lisbon's once-famous ceramic factory. Here you will find the very best Island produce. Fresh exotic fruits, vegetables, fish and flowers in a picturesque setting. The flower sellers are dressed in the typical, colourful Madeirense costume adding yet more vibrancy to this magical place.
Inside, there are two floors and a huge central courtyard, where vendors engage in selling day-to-day products. You will even be allowed to do a bit of tasting before you buy. (A popular exotic fruit to taste is a cross between a maracujá and a banana). In the rear, you will find the fish market. Here you will see fish freshly caught (some are brought in still alive) from all over Madeira. Well known will be the black scabbard fish with its huge eyes, razor sharp teeth and long eel-like body. Taste, smell, vivid colours, fun and tradition!
- Fortaleza de São Tiago (8 minutes) and the Museum of Contemporary Art - The beautiful Forte de São Tiago that was used to protect Funchal from possible invasions is also in the old town. The fort has small watchtowers and sentinel boxes from the 17th Century. The fort is open to the public and has some amazing views. It is now a museum complex that has undergone renovation and houses several museums including the Military Museum of Madeira and the Museum of Contemporary Art.
- Madeira Story Centre (5 minutes) – A modern museum about the history and culture of Madeira. The Madeira Story Centre will take you on a journey through the great historical events in Madeira, from the volcanic formation to the days of Dom Henriques, Napoleon, the first landing of a seaplane and Churchill. It offers a hands-on interactive experience where you feel the environment of different periods in time.
- Cable Car (6 minutes) - This is an exciting way to show Madeira's hidden beauty gliding over some wonderful landscapes. The departure station is at the park Almirante Reis. You ascend 560 m (1, 837 ft.) over 3, 718 m (12,000 ft.) in 15 minutes to Monte, located near Monte Palace Tropical Garden, amidst charming scenery.
- Armazém do Mercado (2 minutes) - The New Old Market. A blend of traditional and contemporary, a place to experience flavours, urban culture and childhood memories. Includes Toy Museum with a collection of 20.000 pieces: dolls, lead toy soldiers, miniature cars, games, dating from 19th century until present date.
Funchal Charming Apartments
Attention to detail. Elegant decoration combining authentic antiques with modern local pieces - to make you feel at home.
Local Knowledge. Let us guide you to the best places, introduce you to the local culture and make sure you live well like a local.
Freedom. Funchal Charming Apartments come with a fully equipped kitchen and dining room, giving you the freedom to cook and savour local produce.
Fully Connected. The apartments have fast, free wireless Internet and a good entertainment system.
Funchal Charming Apartments is also the owner of Lido Flat: list nr 1591435
- Great for children of all ages
- No pets allowed
- Cot available
- High chair available
Bed & bathroom
- 1 Double Bed, 2 Single Beds, 1 Cot available
- 1 En suite, 1 Shower room
- Wi-Fi available
- Shared garden
- Solarium or roof terrace
- Balcony or terrace
- Sea view
- Internet access
- Washing machine
- High chair available
- Satellite TV
- Video player
- DVD player
- Hair dryer
- Linen provided
- Towels provided
- Accessible for wheelchair users — please contact the owner for details before booking
- This rental can only be paid for online through Holiday Lettings using your credit/debit card or PayPal (never by bank or wire transfer).
- No smoking at this property
Change of plans? No problem. You could receive a partial or full refund, depending on when you cancel.
100% refund within 24 hours after booking (provided the stay is at least 60 days away).
24 hours after booking
50% refund of the amount paid (minus the booking fee*) if cancelled at least 4 weeks before check-in.
4 weeks before
No refund if cancelled less than 4 weeks before check-in.
* The booking fee is stated in the cancellation policy information on the payment page. This fee helps us run our secure platform and enables us to provide 24/7 customer support
About the owner
- Average reply time:
- 41 minutes
- Response rate:
- Calendar updated:
- 09 Sep 2019
- Years listed:
- Based in:
- Overall rating:
Languages spoken: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian
This Apartment has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and sleeps 4. It’s been listed on Holiday Lettings since 11 Nov 2013. Located in Funchal, it has 29 reviews with an overall rating of 5. The average weekly rate varies from £497 to £675.
The Owner has a response rate of 100% and the property’s calendar was last updated on 09 Sep 2019.
Map and how to get there
– based on 29 reviews
- Very Good
“Lovely apartment, perfectly situated in the Old Town.”
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this apartment it is spacious and well equipped. We have just enjoyed ten days here, Vera and her agents have been really helpful from beginning to end in making our stay perfect. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony relaxing with the roof top view out to the sea. The apartment is very conveniently close, 5 minutes walk , to many restaurant choices, to the market and a 10 min walk to a large and excellent supermarket. It is situated just far enough away from the busy area to be quiet . We are country people and not used to a lot of noise and this was fine for us. We enjoyed the ease to get to buses and the cable car which is not intrusive at all. Quite peaceful to watch actually. We have been out and about around Funchal and Madeira using local transport mostly and the apartment has been a perfect base for us and very comfortable to relax especially after walking the Levadas. We would be happy to recommend to other holiday makers and have been very happy during our stay. Thank you Vera . We l hope to be back again .
Owner's reply: Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your nice words. You are so kind. Whenever you decide to come back again to this beautiful island, we will be pleased to welcome you again. Best wishes from Madeira. Vera
“First class accommodation”
This apartment was even better than the photographs on the website. It was very clean, stylish and spacious. It was equipped with everything you could think of, even the use of an I pad. It was a lovely touch to leave us a welcome basket of goodies to eat and drink. The flat is in a quiet location right in the centre of the old town and very close to many restaurants, bars, shops, the seafront, and cable cars to Monte. We enjoyed the views from the large balcony. We had excellent communication with the owner Vera and the property manager Cecilia before and during our holiday. Thank you for everything.
“Very good location”
Good location very close to Market for Fish ,meat and vegetables ,also Supermarket. Flat was comfortable and clean,Management team extremely helpful,very close to lots of restaurants including 2 which served tasty vegetarian food.Buses and funicular within 5 to 10 minute walk. Everything you could ask for if you want to do more than lie in a beach.
“Charming apartment in the best location in Funchal”
I stayed in both apartments of Vera in Funchal/Madeira. Vera was so kind. The service was excellent. Both flats are top. At Old Town Flat, I loved the location: at the Old Town, near everything in the centre of Funchal. And I also loved the apartment itself. Great, charming, with more than everything for a week stay. We will be back next year.
“Great stay in the Old Town Flat”
We spent nine days in the old town flat and liked it a lot. It was clean, it is in a good location, it is spacey and it is quiet. The entire logistics offered by the people running the flat was perfect (pick up from the airport, cleaning, additional help, etc.). The flat is is very close to the city centre, markets and food stores are in walking distance. The same is true for restaurants and the beach promenade.
“Perfect city location”
This is a lovely well-maintained flat in a great city centre location, close to all shops, restaurants and amenities. Breakfast every morning on the balcony watching the cable cars go overhead! The owner is very knowledgeable about the island and is also very welcoming and helpful. Light sleepers need to be aware that this is a city location with the city noises you would expect; especially on Saturday nights. The traffic starts at about 6.30 am on weekdays.
Owner's reply: "Dear Guest, Once the frame of the balcony door in aluminum was already old, we have replaced by a new one, with double glass and thermal break, which prevents the eventual noise from outdoors to enter to the interior. Best wishes from Madeira. Vera"
“The best location in Madeira”
If you are thinking of staying in Funchal- then you would do well to consider staying in the Old Town Flat as it is the very best location. It is extremely well fitted out and you really do feel as though you are living the local life. Just a few minutes stroll from the market, supermarket, lots of great restaurants, buses, cable car and coast, the flat has so much to offer. We booked a wonderful massage in the Santa Maria Hotel- again just minutes away. This two bedroomed/two bathroomed flat even has an IPad for guests and the attention to detail is fantastic and we would thoroughly recommend this flat to anyone.
“The perfect choice”
Just after arriving, we realized that we made the perfect choice. Super location. Best possible location in Funchal in the heart of the Old Town. Yet very quiet and private. Mixture between cultural life and quietness. Very clean and tidy. Roomy enough for more than 4 people live in comfort and style. Lovely decoration. Balcony for romantic sunsets overlooking the Old Town and sea. The apartment was fully equipped with more than expected. Yes, it has a Nespresso coffe machine and an Ipad. But also a cable TV with all international channels, DVD player, movies,sound-dock, books in English and other languages, etc. Even mats and light sun chairs that can be taken to the rooftop terrace for sunbath with amazing views. It couldn't of been any better and we would definitely stay again at the charming Old Town Flat.
“Perfect location _ no need for more”
The Old Town Flat is an excellent location to stay at Funchal; it is very close to the old city, market and restaurants; it provides all functionality needed for our stay. From that location we have been explored the whole island of Madeira. Next time if that flat would be available we would like to rent again; a clear recommendation !
“Quiet, tasteful apartment in great location with incredible customer care”
I highly recommend a stay in this apartment if you are looking for a base near Funchal Old Town..it is beautifully decorated, well equipped and has a fantastic location just a short walk to the old town. It is lovely and peaceful and as it's in a building of local residents you get a more authentic experience of living in Funchal than being in a tourist hotel. The owners offer fabulous service, helping out swiftly with any enquiries - I felt very cared for as a guest. The wi-fi is excellent, and I loved going up to the roof balcony and enjoying the magnificent views over Funchal or sitting on the deckchair on the small balcony. This is a gem of an apartment!
- How do I find more info about the property?
You can get in touch with Vera (the owner) through the contact form on this page.
If you’ve already booked, go to Manage your holiday booking to send the owner a message.
- What if I have questions before I book?
Send Vera (the owner) an email through the contact form on this page. Alternatively, if there’s a phone number on this page, you can call them.
- How do I contact Vera (the owner)?
Send an email through the contact form on this page. Or if there’s a phone number on this page, you can call them.
If you’ve already booked, go to Manage your holiday booking to view Vera the owner's contact details or send them a message.
- What's the difference between 'Book your stay' and 'Contact the owner/manager'?
Use the Book your stay form to pay provisionally online and send Vera (the owner) a booking request. You’ll find out within 24 hours whether they’ve accepted - no money will leave your account before then
Or send Vera (the owner) an enquiry through the Contact the owner/manager form if you’d like a quote or more info first.
- What is a booking request?
When you pay online through the Book your stay form, a booking request is sent to Vera (the owner). You’ll find out within 24 hours whether they’ve accepted - no money will leave your account before then.
Only bookings paid for through our site are covered by our trusted Payment Protection.
- How do I know my booking is safe?
To book this holiday home you need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website. Only bookings paid for through our site are covered by our trusted Payment Protection. This means that in the unlikely event that you’re prevented or denied access to your holiday home when you check in, we’ll offer a full refund for the stay.
- How do I know what it will cost for my stay?
Simply enter your holiday dates in the Book your stay form to calculate the cost of your stay.
Click Book now to see a full breakdown of the price.
You can also request a quote from Vera (the owner) through the contact form. The owner will email you the total cost for your dates and a link to book and pay online.
- How do I know if my booking request has been accepted?
You’ll receive an email within 24 hours to let you know. Or you can check in Manage your holiday booking. No money will leave your account unless it’s accepted.
- How do I pay for my holiday?
Use the Book your stay form to pay provisionally online. You can pay by credit/debit card or PayPal. Vera (the owner) will have 24 hours to accept the booking and no money will leave your account before then.
If you’ve been sent a quote, simply accept it and pay online through the email we sent you. You can also do this in Manage your holiday booking.
Only bookings paid for through our site are covered by our trusted Payment Protection.
- Why can't I call Vera (the owner) before booking?
You can exchange contact details with the property owner/manager once your booking is confirmed and you’ve paid in full. Paying and communicating only through our platform allows us to ensure that your booking is covered by our Payment Protection policy.
If you have any questions before booking, you can send the property owner/manager a message via the contact form on their listing. Once you’ve booked, you can discuss the rental and make arrangements for your trip by logging into Manage my booking.
- How do damage deposits work?
In most cases, you don’t pay a damage deposit up front. Instead, we save your payment details securely and you’re only charged in the event of damage to the property.
Occasionally, you will pay a damage deposit up front as part of the total rental cost. In this case, the owner has 10 days after you check out to report any damage. If they don’t, we’ll return your deposit. If their claim is successful, we’ll deduct the agreed cost and return the remainder.
- How can I view and manage my booking?
Go to Manage your holiday booking to view all your booking details, pay the balance of your holiday or cancel it if you need to.
- How do I pay the balance of my holiday?
You can pay the remaining balance of your holiday at any point. Simply go to Manage my holiday booking and click Pay now.
We’ll automatically charge the balance payment to the same payment method 10 days before it’s due. Go to Manage my holiday booking to see when the payment will be taken.
- How can I retract my booking request?
You’ll need to contact Vera (the owner) to do this. Send them a message in Manage your holiday booking or through the contact form on this page.
- How do I cancel my booking?
Go to Manage your holiday booking to cancel your booking. Here you can view your cancellation policy to see if you’ll be refunded.
- How do I edit my booking?
You can request to change the dates or number of people on your booking via the Manage your holiday booking page. To change your holiday dates use the Edit booking button. If you need to change the number of guests staying then send Vera (the owner) a message.
If Vera (the owner) agrees, they’ll send you a revised quote outlining the changes. You can review and accept/decline this from the Manage your holiday booking page. You’ll have 48 hours to take action before the revised quote expires.
Build your perfect trip, with Holiday Lettings & TripAdvisor
Book with confidence
Pay online to be covered by Payment Protection
Real opinions, real reviews
Genuine guest feedback from 100,000+ reviews
Safe, simple, secure
When you pay online with PayPal or by credit/debit card
Quick response times
Know where you're staying within 24 hours