Bronte School House
from £115 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £115 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
Cottage / 3 bedrooms / sleeps 5 Home 313798
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 3 bedrooms / sleeps 5
Brontë School House is a delightful 18th century Grade II listed stone cottage, VisitEngland 4 star rated; most famously known as the Clergy Daughter's School attended by Charlotte & Emily Brontë. Retaining many original features it offers a real sense of history whilst providing spacious, well-appointed & comfortable accommodation.
Brontë School House comfortably sleeps five adults in three bedrooms. On the ground floor is:
- a light and spacious Lounge housing comfy sofas, a wood-burning stove, bookshelves laden with books and magazines, television with digital freeview and DVD player with DVDs; a large bay window provides glorious vistas to the garden and countryside beyond;
- a separate Dining Room with georgian cast-iron columns and wooden panelling dating from an eighteenth century extension to the original property, housing a six seater dining table and chairs; a cushioned window-seat below a victorian sash window provides the perfect spot to sit and read a book or gaze out to the garden;
- a Kitchen with free standing wooden units, ceramic hob/electric oven, microwave, fridge/freezer and fully equipped with crockery, glassware, cutlery and cooking utensils so that you can do as much or as little cooking as you wish!
- a Bathroom with a wonderful claw foot bath for lazy soaks, a separate freestanding shower, toilet & wash basin.
Original stone stairs lead to the first floor where there are three bedrooms and a separate toilet & wash-basin.
- the Master Bedroom houses a king size brass bed with pocket sprung matress, Victorian cast-iron fireplace and dual window-seats overlooking the garden and open countryside beyond;
- the second Bedroom has twin iron bedsteads with pocket sprung matresses, Victorian cast-iron fireplace and window-seat with views to open countryside; and
- the third Bedroom with its exposed stonework has a georgian brass bed and window-seat with views to the sheep or cattle grazing in the neighbouring field;
There is a beautiful cottage garden, where the children can run around in, where you can enjoy views across rolling countryside or where you can simply sit and listen to the sound of Leck Beck running just beyond the garden wall.
There is off-road private parking for two vehicles.
Unlimited Internet/Wi-fi at the cottage.
A detailed Access Statement for the cottage is available, please request this when you send an enquiry if you wish to see it.
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 3 bedrooms|
|Check in time:||16:00|
|Check out time:||10:00|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||200 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Manchester 120 km, Nearest railway: Lancaster 29 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Access||Parking, Suitable for people with restricted mobility, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
The Cumbria region
Bronte School House sits in the Lune Valley between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales. The Lake District probably needs no introduction but, in my opinion, is surely one of the most beautiful places on earth and is in fact the UK's UNESCO World Heritage nomination for 2016.The Lune Valley itself is a timeless landscape of beautiful unspoilt countryside & ancient stone-built villages and the Yorkshire Dales is home to some of England's finest limestone scenery including one of the longest and most complex cave systems in Britain. If you like the outdoors you cannot help but fall in love with this region. Come and see for yourself - you will not be disappointed!
Brontë School House is situated in the village of Cowan Bridge only 2 miles from the wonderful historic market town of Kirkby Lonsdale; the cottage is ideally situated for exploring both the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks as well as the beautiful Lune Valley in which it sits.
Kirkby Lonsdale is an absolutely delightful historic market town home to numerous enticing cafés, bars, restaurants and small independent shops as well as an excellent supermarket. The view of the River Lune, as painted by Turner and praised by John Ruskin as "one of the loveliest views in England", can be seen from St Mary's churchyard in Kirkby Lonsdale.
Cowan Bridge: is a small village with an excellent general store/newsagents and cafe run by Geoff and Steven. It also has two restaurants and a bar only a half mile walk away (boots recommended though and not high heels!).
This whole area is a walkers paradise in all seasons. With walks a-plenty straight from the doorstep and many more only a short drive away - you'll definitely need more than a week to do the area justice!
In addition to walking there are any number of other outdoor pursuits in the area: Potholing/Caving, Climbing/Abseiling, Cycling, Canoeing, Sailing, Golf, Fishing, Horse Riding. Go to our website: http://www.bronteschoolhouse.com/ for more details.
Build your perfect trip, with Holiday Lettings & TripAdvisor
Real opinions, real reviews
Genuine guest feedback from 100,000+ reviews
Quick response times
Know where you're staying within 24 hours
Safe, simple, secure
When you pay online with PayPal or by credit/debit card
Book with confidence
Pay online to be covered by Payment Protection
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:29 Sep 2015
Based in United Kingdom