from £58 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £58 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
Cottage / 4 bedrooms / sleeps 7 Home 579397
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 4 bedrooms / sleeps 7
Scottish country cottage, near the hamlet of Humbie, in the desirable area of East Lothian, with its pretty historic villages, castles, golf courses, beaches, undulating countryside and excellent walking, cycling, horse riding, and other leisure activities.
Pogbie Lodge gives you the best of everything, a quiet rural setting with a large private garden, outstanding views and no next-door neighbours, yet only 20 miles from the centre of Edinburgh with its Castle, museums, galleries, world class restaurants, the Fringe Festival and Hogmanay celebrations at New Year. Pogbie Lodge is also a great base for reaching a wide range of tourist attractions in, not only Edinburgh, but also East and Mid Lothians, the Borders, and Fife. For those with their own horse or pony, there are riding stables five minutes walk from Pogbie Lodge, to which you can bring your equine friend for riding lessons and accommodation.
While tucked quietly at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills, Pogbie is about 1.5 miles from the small village of Humbie which has a shop and cafe. It is about 4 miles from another cafe at Soutra, with superb views over East Lothian, and about 7 miles from the pretty conservation village of Gifford with a cafe, shops and pubs. KT's Country Kitchen, which is at Pogbie Farm, literally just down the road from the Lodge, provides fresh home cooked meals, delivered to your door.
Dating in part from the early 1800s, recently renovated, Pogbie Lodge stands within its own established large private gardens, that extend to a third of an acre with far reaching views over open countryside and no next door neighbours.
The accommodation consists of : two halls, sitting room with open fire, kitchen/dining room with a dining table (could seat 8), large master bedroom with king bed and its own seating area, three additional bedrooms, family bathroom, and cloak room with a separate toilet. There is also a conservatory (with external entrance only). In addition there is a summer house at the end of the garden. As well as a wardrobe and drawers/shelves, each bedroom has a chair, table, backlit magnifying mirror, shaving adapter and hair drier.
- Sleeps 7 in 4 bedrooms, 1 king, 1 double, 1 twin room and 1 single room - an extra mattress can be put on the floor in the single room or in the king size room. There may be an additional charge for this
- Bathroom with shower over bath, handbasin and toilet - there is no shortage of hot water as there is a combi boiler.
- Cloak room with separate toilet, hand basin and clothes washing machine
- Fully equipped modern dining kitchen with dishwasher, electric stove and oven, microwave, kettle, toaster, large fridge and radio. There is a freezer and tumble drier (outside access only).
- Sitting room with log fire, TV, DVD player, and stereo - seats 7.
- Also the king bedroom has its own sitting area with a sofa and chairs.
- Barbecue and outdoor furniture, or can eat in conservatory.
- Children friendly - cot and high chair available.
- Pets welcome, note garden not dog secure
- Short breaks available.
- Sorry smoking allowed only outside cottage.
- Lots of parking in garden - note roughly 30 metre walk to house from car park
Price includes: linen, towels, dish towels, hot water, electricity, central heating and a reasonable supply of clothes washing powder, dish washer tablets, dish washing detergent, kitchen paper towels, toilet paper, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Please note that the bed linen, excluding pillow cases, is not ironed. If you would like the remaining linen ironed, there is a charge of up to £50 (in addition to the amount quoted), depending on how many people are staying.
The kitchen is stocked with the basics, which you are welcome to use (at no extra cost) - flour, sugar, tea bags, filter coffee, salt, pepper and some herbs and spices, tomato sauce, and olive oil.
Please let me know in advance of your stay if you would like firewood provided - there is a charge for this of £5/night (this is additional to the amount quoted for the stay).
|Size||Sleeps up to 7, 4 bedrooms|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Check in time:||16:00|
|Check out time:||11:00|
|Nearest beach||Longnidry - 14 miles 22.5 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||2 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Edinburgh airport is 26 mi from Pogbie lodge 42 km, Nearest railway: Edinburgh main - 20 miles, nearest is Wallyford - 23 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Furniture||King Beds (1), Double beds (1), Single beds (3), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 7|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
The East Lothian region
Pogbie Lodge nestles at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills, near the hamlet of Humbie, in the sought-after area of East Lothian, with its attractive rolling country-side, 40 miles of coastline with golden sand beaches, pretty historic villages, castles, golf courses, walking, cycling, horse riding and other leisure activities.
East Lothian has some of Scotland's best-known golf courses, or example, Muirfield at Gullane (less than 20 mi from Pogbie), which hosted the 2013 Open Championship. Closer courses are at Gifford (8.5 miles/14 km) & Haddington (10.5 miles/17 km).
Gifford has two courses:
- Gifford Golf Club, a nine hole course, dating from 1904, & described by Golf World as "The best 9 holes in Scotland";
- Castle Park Golf Club, with 18 holes on a naturally undulating parkland site, formerly the deer park for the nearby Yester Castle
The Haddington Golf Club was recently described by Bunkered Magazine Issue 89 as:
"In addition to being a links heaven, East Lothian also has some cracking courses and this is undoubtedly one of them. The course is set in peaceful walled surroundings and provides a thoroughly enjoyable test throughout. Here, they also go out of their way to make visitors feel welcome, so don't miss out on a real treat".
Pogbie Lodge is about 30 to 40 minutes from the longest dry ski slope in Europe. The Midlothian Snowsports Centre (formerly the Hillend Ski Centre) is set into the hillside of the stunning Pentland Hills Regional Park and has panoramic views of Edinburgh and the Pentland hills.
It offers skiing, snowboarding and tubing and has 2 main slopes, 2 nursery slopes, jump slope and range of freestyle features.
Pogbie Lodge gives you the best of everything, a quiet rural setting with a large garden and outstanding views, yet only 20 miles (32 km) from the centre of Edinburgh with its Castle, museums, galleries, world class restaurants, the Festival in August and Hogmanay celebrations at New Year.
Pogbie Lodge is an ideal base for reaching a wide range of leisure activities and tourist attractions in, not only Edinburgh, but also East and Mid Lothians, the Borders, and Fife. It is:
• 3 miles to the pretty Humbie Kirk (church) standing in woodland besides the Humbie Water, with woodland walk.
• 3 miles to The House of Soutra, a cafe with superb views of East Lothian. From here visit Soutra Aisle, the remains of what was the largest medieval hospital in Scotland. Or walk back cross country to Pogbie.
• 7 miles (11.3km) from the pretty conservation village of Gifford with golf courses, pubs, restaurant, cafe and a range of walks, including to the remains of the amazing Goblin-Ha castle.
• 7 miles (11.3 km) from the Glenkinchie Distillery, a single malt whiskey distillery with visitors centre and museum.
• 8 miles (13 km) from the delightful Vogrie Country Park with the baronial-styled Vogrie House, over 105 hectares of woods and over 4 miles of beautiful woodland walks - horse riding available.
• 10 miles (16 km) from the rugged Crichton Castle, overlooking the Tyne river.
• 12 miles (19km) to Dalkeith, home of Newbattle Abbey, a wonderful 19th century home with guided tours, and also Dalkeith Country Park.
• 13.5 miles (22.5 km) to Dalhousie Castle for a wonderful falconry experience and archery.
• 14 miles (22.5 km) to the National Museum of Flight, in East Fortune on a WWII air field. Enjoy the Concord experience and one of East Lothian's most popular attractions.
• 14 – 20 miles (23 – 32 km) from a number of beautiful sandy swimming beaches, including Longniddry, Gullane, North Berwick. Yellow Craigs, Sea Cliff and Tynninghame. Explore Direlton or Tantallon castles or from SeaCliff Stables ride a horse on the beach.
• 14.5 miles (23 km) from the seaside town of Musselburgh with the Musselburgh Links, the oldest golf course in the world, the Musselburgh race course, the Brunton Theatre, Inveresk Lodge Gardens and the stately home of Newhailes, dating from the 17th century.
• 15 miles (24km) to the award winning, National Mining Museum at Newtongrange - it will captivate the most cynical of boys.
• 16 miles (26 km) to the historic village of East Linton with pub, café and restaurant. Visit Preston Mill and Phantassie Doocot. Walk along the River Tyne to the imposing Hails Castle – open 24/7 and great for picnics.
• 16 miles (26 km) to the Markle Fisheries for quality trout fishing and a range of options for beginners to experts.
• 17 miles (27.5) to Whiteadder Reservoir in the Lammermuir Hills for fishing, swimming, sailing and walking.
• 18 miles (29 km) to Rosslyn and the 15th century Rosslyn chapel, featuring in the Da Vinci Code book and film. Adjacent is the dramatic Rosslyn castle and beautiful walks along the banks of the Esk River.
• 20 miles (32 km) from the centre of Edinburgh.
• 20 miles (32 km) to the small seaside town of North Berwick with a range of pretty shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs, a small working fishing harbour, the North Berwick Golf Club and the Scottish Seabird Centre. Take a boat trip from here to see the world's largest single island gannet colony on Bass Rock or to see the puffins on the Isle of May. Walk up Berwick Law for spectacular views.
• 26 miles (42 km) from the historic town of Melrose in the Borders on the river Tweed, home to Melrose Abbey and nearby Abbotsford House, the residence of novelist and poet, Sir Walter Scott, open to the public.
• 31 miles (50 km) to South Queensferry, marvel at the engineering of the Forth Rd Bridge, Hopeton House, a magnificent stately home, or take a boat trip to one of the islands in the Firth of Forth.
For those with their own horse or pony, there are riding stables five minutes walk from Pogbie Lodge, to which you can bring your equine friend for riding lessons and accommodation.
Build your perfect trip, with Holiday Lettings & TripAdvisor
Real opinions, real reviews
Genuine guest feedback from 100,000+ reviews
Quick response times
Know where you're staying within 24 hours
Safe, simple, secure
When you pay online with PayPal or by credit/debit card
Book with confidence
Pay online to be covered by Payment Protection
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
You're booking with
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:28 Jun 2015
Based in United Kingdom