The Solomon ( studio flat)
from £50 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £50 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
Studio / No Bedrooms / sleeps 2 Home 1669009
Availability Your dates are available
Studio / No Bedrooms / sleeps 2
The Studio Flat is fully furnished and equipped self-catering accommodation for one or two guests. It has a queen-size bed, writing desk, table & chairs for two, towels and linen. The kitchenette has a full set of crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils and kitchen equipment. There is secure parking. The TV has DSTV Compact package of channels.
|Size||Sleeps up to 2, Studio|
|Rooms||1 bathrooms of which 1 En suites|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Kimberley Airport 6 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||TV, Satellite TV|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge|
|Furniture||Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 2|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
Northern Cape region
While the first diamond rush was taking place in 1868 on the banks of the Orange River near Hopetown (120km south of present day Kimberley), following the finding of the first gem in 1866, a second far greater find was made in 1870 on the gravel banks of the Vaal River near Barkly West (35km north-west of present day Kimberley). At the height of the rush to these river diggings, diamonds were found in the mud brick walls of the farmhouse of Bultfontein (Hilly fountain) owned by Cornelius du Plooy. The house was dismantled and the site is now the colossal hole in the ground of Bultfontein Mine.
Later that year, in December 1870, children found diamonds whilst playing next to Du Toit's Pan on their father's farm Dortsfontein (Dry fountain). A whole army of diggers stampeded to the place, and the site is now the second colossal hole in the ground of Dutoitspan Mine.
In May 1871 a new discovery was made on the farm Vooruitzicht (Outlook) that was owned by the brothers Diederick and Nicolaas de Beer. This was to become the third colossal hole in the ground of De Beers Mine.
In July 1871 a servant working for a party of diggers from Colesberg who were digging at the Du Toit's Pan, found three diamonds on a small kopje (hillock) known locally as Colesberg Kopje, just a few hundred meters from the earlier find on the farm Vooruitzicht. Colesberg Kopje soon became an indentation and then a crater as a new rush of diggers decended on what was also known as the De Beers Mine (the earlier diggings on the same farm became known for a while as Old De Beers).
The mining camps around the first three mines were named after their respective mines. With the latest discovery, the camp became known as New Rush, for obvious reasons. Over the ensuring months the digger camp of New Rush swallowed up the earlier camp of Old De Beers.
With the renaming of New Rush as Kimberley in 1873, the fourth colossal hole in the ground was known as Kimberley Mine. Today it is known simply as The Big Hole.
One digger remembered the dry diggings of 1871 in the following manner, “The four great mines [New Rush, Dutoitspan, Bultfontein and Old De Beers] were roughly circular in shape, and claim holders erected their dwellings as close to the mines as possible, and traders, storekeepers and publicans put up their buildings in any vacant spot... thus each mining camp was composed of a central group of workings surrounded by a ring of shacks,shanties, huts and shelters constructed of any material that would keep off the rain or the scorching heat of the sub.”
The satellite township, now named after the baTlhaping chief, Galashewe, was established in 1871.
British Colonial Commissioners arrived in New Rush on 17 November 1871 to exercise authority over the territory on behalf of the Cape Governor. Digger objections and minor riots led to Governor Barkly's visit to New Rush in September 1872, when he revealed a plan instead to have Griqualand West proclaimed a Crown Colony. Richard Southey would arrive as Lieutenant-Governor of the intended Crown Colony in January 1873.
Months passed however without any sign of the proclamationor of the promised new constitution and provision for representativegovernment. The delay was in London where Secretary of State for the Colonies, Lord Kimberley (John Wodehouse, 1st Earl of Kimberley), insisted that before electoral divisions could be defined, the places had to receive "decent and intelligible names. His Lordship declined to be in any way connected with such a vulgarism as New Rush and as for the Dutch name, Vooruitzicht… he could neither spell nor pronounce it."
The matter was passed to Southey who gave it to his Colonial Secretary J.B. Currey. A correspondent at the time wrote, "when it came to renaming New Rush, Currey proved himself a worthy diplomat. He made quite sure that Lord Kimberley would be able both to spell and pronounce the name of the main electoral division by, as he says, calling it 'after His Lordship'."
New Rush became Kimberley by Proclamation on 5 July 1873. Digger sentiment was expressed in an editorial in the Diamond Field newspaper when it stated "we went to sleep in New Rush and waked up in Kimberley, and so our dream was gone." Kimberley became a municipality in 1877.
The digger camp of Du Toit's Pan also swallowed up the earlier camp of Bultfontein, and was subsequently re-named Beaconsfield after the former British Prime Minister, Lord Beaconsfield (Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield). By 1882 a tramway connected Kimberley to Beaconsfield and the streets were illuminated by the first electric lights in Southern Africa.
In 1888 the great amalgamation took place between Rhodes' De Beers Mine and Barney Barnato's Kimberley Central Mining Company.
The Wesselton Mine, close to the Bultfontein and Dutoitspan Mines, started in 1890. It was the fifth and last of the colossal Kimberley mines.
Also in 1890 Rhodes rose from being the digger's representative for Barkly West in the Cape Legislature to Prime Minister of the Cape Colony.
A little known fact is that the Seventh Day Adventists religious group was founded by Pieter Wessels in 1885 in a small corrugated iron church on the corner of Blacking Street and Dyer Place in present day lower Herlear. It was amply financed to the sum of 451,438 pounds sterling, paid in 1891 by the De Beers company in exchange for the Wesselton Mine, a Wessels family property.
The two towns of Kimberley and Beaconsfield were eventually amalgamated in 1912 to become the City of Kimberley.
Kimberley is the provincial capital of the Northern Cape. It is in the Sol Plaatje Municipality of the Frances Baard District and has a population of just over 210,000 people.
Kimberley is a prosperous, thriving city, worthy of the title 'Diamond Capital of the world'. Lacking the furious pace of South Africa's larger urban giants, the Victorian grandeur of stately buildings complement the modern buildings towering over them.
Build your perfect trip, with Holiday Lettings & TripAdvisor
Real opinions, real reviews
Genuine guest feedback from 100,000+ reviews
Quick response times
Know where you're staying within 24 hours
Safe, simple, secure
When you pay online with PayPal or by credit/debit card
Book with confidence
Pay online to be covered by Payment Protection
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
Help other travellers decide where to stay
This holiday home hasn’t got any reviews yet. The average rating on Holiday Lettings is four out of five. This place could be newly added or perhaps it’s a well kept secret. Either way, it’s time to reveal all.
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:03 Apr 2014
Based in South Africa