Cottage / 2 bedrooms / sleeps 6 Home 149843
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 2 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms / sleeps 6
- Nearest beach 84 km
- Great for children of all ages
- Car essential
- No pets allowed
- Private garden
Description from owner
Les Challonnières is a beautiful half-timbered cottage built in approximately 1750 and is situated in the National Park. It is set in half an acre of enclosed gardens with swings for the children and there is an orchard with apple, pear and damson trees. The cottage sleeps up to 8 people (kingsize bed, 1 double, 2 singles and a double sofa bed).
About 2 miles away is the local village of Lonlay L'Abbaye with its famous biscuit factory, bakers, butchers, post office, mini supermarket, and 4 miles away is the medieval town of Domfront with its castle and all the shops you could want including 2 supermarkets.
The cottage has been tastefully restored yet has every modern convenience, most importantly it retains all the character including oak beams and a huge stone chimney with open fireplace so typical of the area. It is furnished and equipped to an exceptionally high standard and provides every home comfort.
The Basse-Normandie region
The Normandy region of France combines a 360-mile dramatic coastline, including the World War II landing beaches, with a verdant interior of lush farmland, bustling market towns, and historic landmarks such as the cities of Caen, Bayeux and Rouen. Gastronomic delights abound, from fine cheeses such as Camembert to pear and apple cider and Calvados.
Orne is located to the south of the Lower Normandy region. Relatively undiscovered compared to the coastal regions of Normandy, the Orne has a great deal to offer with large areas of scenic countryside, rivers and forests, and some interesting historic towns and pretty villages to be discovered.
There are so many places of interest to visit in the surrounding area providing something for the whole family including walking, cycling, canoeing, rock climbing, fishing, zoos and an aqua park.
- Domfront. A medieval town with a castle, originally built at the beginning of the 11th century.The town itself was also fortified, and many of the towers survive, along with sections of the ramparts - these provide a good backdrop for the numerous medieval houses and buildings to be seen in Domfort. Within the fortifications is the old town, an attractive region with narrow cobbled streets lined with half-timbered houses and some grander townhouses, interspersed with pleasant cafes and open squares.
- La Fosse Arthour (5 mins drive) offers climbing, fishing, horse riding, walks through pretty woodland and alongside waterfalls.
- Ferte Mace (20 mins by car) has a large leisure lake offering sandy beach, pedaloes, kayaks, swimming (life guard), as well as climbing wall, children's play area, mini-golf and bar.
- Andaines Forest (largely around Domfront, Bagnoles de l'Orne, and La Ferté-Macé) with its lakes and gorges and is ideal for walks, cycling and horse riding.
- Bagnoles de l'Orne dates back to the "Belle Epoque". Although it is the only spa town in Normandy, it is typical of all French spas, having an atmosphere of elegance and tranquillity. It is also famous for its casino overlooking the lake.
- Carrouges and Fougeres castles
- Other monuments include the cathedral at Sées; the Priory of Saint Michel de Crouttes (north-east of Argentan) is an attractive ancient building set in scenic gardens; while garden lovers will also want to head for the Jardins de la Mansonière (near Saint-Ceneri-le-Gerei).
- Saint-Ceneri-le-Gerei, classified as one of the 'most beautiful villages of France'
- Saint-Fraimbault, a 4* village-fleuri is brightly decorated with flowers during the warmer months: there are attractive displays around the public buildings, the park and lake and on nearly all of the houses. Rowing boats and pedalos may be hired at the lake.
- Another popular destination in the department is the National Stud at Haras-du-Pin
- There is a good selection of restaurants in the area: creperies, pizzerias, bistros, and others for the real gastronomes; all offer exceptional value for money. The area is famous for apple and pear cider, and calvados all of which can be bought directly from the local producers
There are several golf courses in the area including: Bagnoles de L'Orne,a beautiful 9 hole course, 2444m, par 33, with river running through it (water features on 7 of the holes). Closed Tues am. (20 mins away). Flers, an attractive parkland 9 hole course, 2110 m, par 32 (20 mins away).
Bed & bathroom
- bedroom 1: king bed
bedroom 2: double bed
beds in other rooms: sofa bed 2 single beds
- 1 family bathrooms, 1 en suites
- Great for children of all ages
- No pets allowed
- Wi-Fi available
- Private garden
- Swing set
- Bicycles available
- Internet access
- Washing machine
- Satellite TV
- DVD player
- CD player
- Hair dryer
- Long term lets (over 1 month)
- House swap
- Not suitable for wheelchair users
- Check in time:14:00, Check out time:10:00
- If you have any questions about check-in or check-out times, please contact the owner/manager.
- This owner does not use online booking. Please contact them and they will be able to offer you a secure way to pay for your stay.
- No smoking at this property
- Cancellation policy
About the owner
- Response rate:
- Calendar updated:
- 13 Feb 2016
- Years listed:
- Based in:
- United Kingdom
Languages spoken: English, French
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
- Very Good
“Self contained hideaway with all the amenities”
A very well equipped and roomy cottage with all the modern facilities you need for a comfortable holiday. Whilst you are in the countryside it is only minutes from the medieval village of Domfont. Which has fantastic restaurants and plenty of shops for your supplies. Well located for visiting Mount St-Michel, beaches of Normandy and the local village of Bagnoles-del’Orne – all are a must
Thank you for your kind words about our cottage. We are pleased you found it very well equipped and enjoyed its location which makes all the local attractions very easily accessible.
“Lovely Property, in pleasant quite surroundings.”
Perfect property for a lovely relaxing holiday. The propery is well equipped and the setting is very tranquil. We had a great time and would recommend to anyone.
Thank you for your kind words, we're so glad you enjoyed your holiday.
Build your perfect trip, with Holiday Lettings & TripAdvisor
Real opinions, real reviews
Genuine guest feedback from 100,000+ reviews
Quick response times
Know where you're staying within 24 hours