The cottage sits high on the slopes of the Cimini Hills with views sweeping across the Lazio valley, over the river Tiber and racing up the slopes of the Apennine Mountains.
You can make pizzas in the wood-fired oven, sip wine under the grapevine canopy and sunbathe in the fragrant garden overlooking the valley.
The cottage is tastefully decorated and has an open plan sitting room, kitchen and dining area, along with a mezzanine bedroom and bathroom with a shower. Wifi is free.
Places to enjoy
• Lovers of architecture can discover the nearby Renaissance gardens at Villa Lante, the Farnese Palace and the 16th century Monster Gardens.
• Rent boats in Lago Bolsena, explore its islands filled with churches and swim in the shade of its dramatic alcoves.
• Pamper yourselves in ancient thermal baths in the Papal city of Viterbo.
• Dine on authentic local foods and wines during the Sagras (culinary festivals) in Soriano's neighbouring villages during the summer. You can see the fireworks from the Sagre sparkling across the valley from the comfort of the cottage. Soriano's own chestnut-themed Sagra is in October.
• Walkers can enjoy the scenic trails around the Cimini National Forest. While eating wild figs and blackberries you might stumble across the abandoned 15th century church in the heart of the woods.
• The above is a small selection. The list goes on from beautiful Etruscan ruins to sampling coffee at Lini, the local roaster!
Elisabetta will welcome you upon arrival and help you plan your day trips to Rome, Tuscany & Umbria.
Feel free to use the cottage's table tennis, mini soccer table, croquet set, bowls and darts board - just ask Elisabetta.
Also ask for the pizza making equipment, should you want to use the outdoor wood-fired oven.
A car is essential to arrive at the property where there is ample parking. For daily excursions to Rome, park your car at Orte station and take a train to Roma Termini. You can buy a daily return ticket for 10 euro which also covers all public transport in Rome for the day. You can also reach Fiumicino Airport directly by train from Orte station.
|Size||Sleeps up to 2, 1 bedrooms|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Rome Fiumicino or Ciampino Airport, Nearest railway: Orte|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Table tennis, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Fridge, Freezer|
|Furniture||Super King Beds (1), Cots available (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 5|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Access||Secure parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
The region is called Tuscia, land of the Etruscan civilization which spreads across northern Lazio, Tuscany and western Umbria.
The Cimini mountains are the ideal place to stay in the height of summer, because of the altitude at around 600-800 meters, it is a pleasant area to retreat after a busy day sightseeing in the heath.
The area is also famous for its summer local food and wine festivals called "Sagra", all towns have one sooner or later. During periods of festivity some towns also organise fireworks displays which at times can be viewed from the cottage.
The area is renowned for its archeologiocal findings from the Etruscan civilazion. Set amongst the Cimini national forest and its many lakes, the area is also known for the many thermal springs.
On an architectural note, it is well worth a visit to the Renaissance gardens at nearby Villa Lante in Bagnaia, the Farnese palace of Caprarola and the Monster gardens in Bomarzo.
Life is very local and not touristy, despite it being so well located for Rome, Tuscany and Umbria. Soriano is a very friendly town with all the necessary amenities and some excellent and reasonably priced restaurants. There is also lots of good eating in surrounding towns.