Il Casale degli Ulivi is a renovated farmhouse, is located in a quiet area surrounded by greenery, about 2.5 km from the center of Barga (one of the 100 most beautiful villages in Italy just outside the Garfagnana). The property consists of a 6 hectares of land with forests of chestnut trees, green lawns and olive groves with benches and wooden tables. The location offers a breathtaking view of the Apuane Alps.
The establishment offers a welcoming family atmosphere, cared for personally by the proprietors. The furnishings are in perfect Tuscan style with the terracotta floors and the wood beams. The hause is divided into two floors
From the Casale you can reach through the paths some neighboring countries; employing little time travel by car, you can reach the start of trails that will take you to the Apuan Alps or on the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines.
Outdoors ample space for dining.
It offers sun beds, umbrellas, bicycles and barbecue.
In autumn you can pick up the chestnuts, you will have free equipment for roasting them.
The area surrounding the house is great for collecting mushrooms.
Swimming pool is open from mid-May to the end of September (weather permitting)
- Pet allowed, (small dog for free, medium and large dogs 5 euros per day) ;
- Check-in and out: the rooms must be left free by 10:00 and are available from 15:00. For late arrivals prior warning is welcome.
- Cradles and baby beds (5 euro per day);
- No credit cards accepted;
- Washing machine, dishwascher, dryer machine, located in an adjacent room, (5 euros to use)
- Extra cost for heating euro 1,50 per hour consumed (each floor has its own thermostat and hour meter independent)
|Size||Sleeps up to 9, 4 bedrooms|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 shower rooms|
|Check in time:||15:00|
|Check out time:||10:00|
|Nearest beach||Viareggio 45 km|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||2 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest railway: Mologno/Barga 4 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Fireplace, Internet access|
|Pool||Private outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, Safe, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Furniture||Double Beds (2), Sofa Beds (2), Single Beds (1), Cots available (1), Dining seats for 9|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair available|
|Outdoors||Private outdoor pool (unheated), Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
Proceeding in the direction of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana (15 min by car) you can chose whether to continue towards the Versilia Riviera or to get a flavour of the views on offer around the characteristic villages of the Garfagnana, and we can suggest a dip into nature with visits to:
- the Parco dell'Orecchiella (1 hour by car for animal lovers and botanists);
- San Romano and the Fortezza delle Verrucole (30 minutes by car through the villages of Caprignana and Orzaglia you will reach Verrucole and a short walk will bring you to the ancient Fortezza, a perfect setting for a relaxing picnic on the soft green meadows);
- the Parco delle Alpi Apuane;
- the Lago di Vagli (40 minutes by car), a special artificial lake, for its waters hide an ancient ghost town, Fabbriche, which emerges only once in every ten years when the lake is emptied in order to allow maintenance of the dam;
- Campocatino, climb to Vagli di Sopra to reach a basin modelled by an ancient glacier and dotted with characteristic shepherd's huts used for the summer pasture;
- Gorfigliano and Gramolazzo, here you will be enchanted by the reflection of the Pisanino mountain in the clear waters of the artificial lake.
Having reached Castelnuovo and Pieve Fosciana you will arrive in about half an hour to Castiglione Garfagnana, a typical fortified town surrounded by walls going back to the XII century. From Castiglione and proceeding further, you will reach the hamlet of S. Pellegrino in Alpe (less than an hour), and we suggest visiting the sanctuary of the same name.
In the direction of Gallicano:
- Vergemoli and the Grotta del Vento which offers underground to discover a wonderful world of stalactites and stalagmites.
For further information and documentation, our guests can visit the public library in the old town, a service that Barga offers its visitors for reading, research and study, with free and easy access. As well as culture and art we suggest a relaxing dip in the open-air public swimming pool at only 5 minutes, which is open every day during the summer months. There is also a covered pool in nearby Gallicano that is open all year 'round.
From Barga you can easily reach many famous historic centres, such as:
- Lucca (not to be missed: Duomo di San Martino, where the tomb of Ilaria Del Carretto and the wooden sculpture of the Volto Santo are conserved, Piazza Napoleone in the heart of the city, the churches of San Michele in Foro, of San Paolino and of San Frediano, Palazzo Mansi and the Guinigi tower);
- Florence (to visit: Piazza della Signoria, the Duomo, the Uffizi, Santa Croce);
- Pisa (we advise: the Leaning Tower, the Baptistery and the Duomo, which are all in the famous Piazza dei Miracoli);
- Viareggio (famous sea side resort with long promenade where you'll find shops and restaurants and a few minutes from Viareggio you can also visit Forte Dei Marmi).
The Hause is very close to the old town of Barga which can be reached by car in only five minutes. The 'castle' of Longobard origins and goes back to the XIV century, is situated on a hill closed off by walls with three gates and surrounded by the Appuan Alps and the Apennine. You will be enchanted by the Renaissance architecture of the buildings in the historic centre and the imposing churchyard of the Duomo which rises from the summit of the town offering an exceptional view of the Media Valle Del Serchio. To better enjoy the artistic charm of the town we suggest a visit to the Teatro Dei Differenti, the Chiesa di S. Francesco, the Civic Museum, the Praetorian palace and the museum-house of Giovanni Pascoli not far from Barga in Castelvecchio Pascoli to capture a sense of his poetry.