15% discount - Due to cancellations we now have availability over Christmas & New Year 2015/16 - Prices have now been reduced by 15%, don't miss out on this great limited time deal.
Listed as a building of special Architectural or Historic interest, this property was originally built in 1813 as the Tomnahurich Bridge Keeper's house, this striking red sandstone building on the Caledonian Canal in Inverness, has lost none of its charm. Located just 1 mile from the centre of Inverness the house enjoys a semi-rural waterfront position alongside the Tomnahurich Swing Bridge. Inverness is the ideal base for exploring the iconic Loch Ness landscape, Speyside's whisky trail and the beautiful scenery of the Glens of Strathglass. The house was recently restored by Scottish Canals and we are delighted to now be able to offer quality self-catering holidays in such a prime position.
Tomnahurich Bridge House provides accommodation for four with a double bedroom and a twin bedroom located on the first floor. Upstairs window seating provides lovely views over the canal. Downstairs the cottage has a well-equipped kitchen/diner and a cosy sitting room with a wood-burning stove. The bathroom is also located on the ground floor. Outside, guests have access to a small private garden with outdoor furniture and there is off road parking for one vehicle.
Turn your stay into a touring holiday through the Highlands by combining a short break at Tomnahurich Bridge House with a stay at one of our cottages further south.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 family bathroom|
|Check in time:||16:00|
|Check out time:||10:00|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Inverness Airport 16 km, Nearest railway: Inverness Train Station 3 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Fireplace, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Furniture||Double Beds (1), Single Beds (2), Cots available (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair available|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
A route for a ship canal through the Great Glen was considered as early as 1726, but it was not until 1773-4 that it was surveyed for the same reasons, and by the same engineer, as the Crinan. Further plans were produced, but in assessing the wider problem of Highland emigration ('The Clearances') in 1801-2, Thomas Telford recommended that, as well as helping fishing, agriculture and industry, a canal would provide much-needed employment. Work began in 1804 as a government initiative managed by a board of commissioners; uniquely amongst the Scottish canals, the Caledonian has always been a public venture. Experienced foremen (from the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct for example) were brought in to oversee the works but had to manage a local workforce absent during harvests and fisheries. This, coupled with rising costs and lack of funds, meant slow progress. In order to permit the largest ships the locks were 170 by 40ft (52 by 12 m) and 'clustered' to save money - thus the magnificent lock flights at Banavie (Neptune's Staircase), Fort Augustus and Muirtown (Inverness) were built. As well as over 21 miles of man-made canal, Lochs Oich and Dochfour had to be deepened and, to assist the passage of masted vessels, swing bridges rather than draw-bridges were planned. The canal was finally opened in 1822 and although the Baltic Trade it was built to serve had already declined, it was of immediate benefit to the fishing industry. Journey times improved after the lock gates were mechanised in 1964-69 and cruise businesses have responded to interest in the Loch Ness Monster. The Caledonian represents a triumph of British civil engineering innovation, is littered with iconic features and makes a significant contribution to the breath-taking landscape of the Great Glen. Its cultural significance should be regarded as being of international, not just national, importance.
Tomnahurich is 5 minuted from the town centre of Inverness, yet feels like it is a part of the country.All local services, from grocery shops to cinemas are accessible.The property is excellent for walkers, cyclists or canoeists and ideally placed for accessing the Great Glen Way.