La Maison Tranquille is to be found in the midst of the Loire countryside surrounded by old woodlands, gently rolling hills and traditional mixed farms of the Berry Region. It is a stone built cottage on two floors surrounded by a delightful sunny garden, which has been planted with sweet-scented flowers, aromatic herbs and fruit trees. Inside, the cottage has been renovated to a very high standard whilst retaining its character and charm. It has a wealth of traditional features such as the original oak roof beams and a delightful stone fireplace.
Nestling at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, in the hamlet of Neuvy Le Barrois, it is located some 5 miles from the market town of Sancoins and some 50 minutes south of Sancerre.
Le Petit Chez Soi, the village bar and shop, is open for daily bread, groceries and local cheeses amongst other things. The chef/patron will bring baguettes in for you daily (pop along and order in advance), and offers a lunch menu which, at the moment, needs to be booked in advance. The bar is open til early evening. ihe is a new patron and is settling in to the task of serving the local community. Do think of using the shop: so many have closed down with the recent economic downtown, that supporting them is one of my favourite things!
The surrounding farms are rightly proud of their herds of pure-bred Charolais cattle. The area around here also has An abundance of farm life and Martine Rossi, my friend and the keyholder, has six cows and still makes cheese although heading for retirement! You can buy at the farm.
Picture this: breakfast in the garden under the cherry tree, accompanied by the sound of birdsong; preparing a picnic for the bicycle ride to the medieval village of Apremont; stopping for a beer or ice cream, soaking in the tranquil atmosphere of this historic village; returning for a barbecue in the soft glow of the evening sunshine. C'est parfait!
We have Wifi installed for the use of guests, so that you can both relax and stay in touch!
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 2 bedrooms|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Shower rooms|
|Nearest beach||Nearest River Beach 10 km|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||10 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Charles de Gaulle 292 km, Nearest railway: Nevers 20 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Furniture||King Beds (1), Single beds (3), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 8|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Access||Secure parking, Suitable for people with restricted mobility, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
The cottage is generously equipped and is heated by electric thermostatically controlled radiators and a large woodburning stove.
* Kitchen : large enough to eat in (seating for 4 provided), large kitchen/breakfast table and seating provided and is well equipped with fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, gas cooker and oven. A keen cook has stocked this kitchen with every utensil you would hope to find!
* Sittingroom : the focal point of this large room is the open stone fireplace, with wood burning stove. French doors leading to the back of the house and open onto the sunny private garden. Comfy sofa and armchairs for relaxing and elm refectory table and benches seating 6 comfortably are available for indoor dining.
* Shower room : large walk-in shower, bidet, wash-basin and mirrored cabinet
* WC : separate from shower room.
* Bedroom 1 : twin cherrywood sleigh beds.
* Bedroom 2 : king size bed
* Landing : a single bed in spacious area.
There is also a DVD player, an iPod dock , a hifi system: there are a stock of DVDs and CDs for your pleasure, board games, books in both French and English and two adult bikes available. The cave houses the tumble drier , outdoor games and the bikes. Bedrooms feature original exposed oak beams
|Further details outdoors|
The cottage is set to the rear of the hamlet (the last house) and is surrounded by fields. There's a huge old woodland behind where one can walk quietly. The garden is totally enclosed and very spacious.
Last year we started an orchard of apple, pear, plum and apricot trees. This summer our guests will pick from the trees fresh nectarines, plums and two varieties of apples. There doesn't appear to be any fruit on the apricot tree this year possibly because of a cold break in the weather at the beginning of May.
A beautiful climbing rose now adorns the front of the house and the well also has a new rose to tumble around it. Privacy is maintained to the rear where one can seek the shade under the cherry tree which is covered in summertime by a beautiful St Paul's Himalaya Musk which is beautifully scented. Relax at the patio table and for al fresco dining and enjoy a barbecue – a perfect retreat for hot summer days!
Ample parking for cars on the property.
An ancient route for trade, the Loire area has historical sites which range from the troglodyte caves at Rochmenier to extensive Romans remains. The central Loire Valley is host to France’s longest river as well as the magnificent ancient medieval capital of Bourges, the cathedral of Chartes and magical châteaux at Amboise, Cheveny and Chenonceaux.
Plenty of interesting places within easy reach:
* Apremont (5 mins) A medieval village justly deserving its "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France” (most beautiful village) status. You can enjoy the floral park, château and carriage museum, or simply enjoy a walk through this beautiful village and pause on the banks of the river Allier.
* Sancoins (10mins) is a bustling market town with an Intermarche, small shops, hotels and bars. The market takes place on Wednesday mornings, covering five squares in the centre of town. There is also a cattle market each Wednesday morning where the farmers buy and sell: it houses at least 2 restaurants!
* Nevers (20mins) Bordered by the Loire, Nevers is a city of arts and history, with the palais ducal, the beautiful cathedral and the Formula 1 circuit. A must to visit is the Grotto of St. Bernadette. There are options here for gourmet dining. The main line rail service to Paris is found here, with central Paris only 2 hours away by train!
* Sancerre (50mins) is a medieval hill-top village famous for the Sauvignon Blanc wines. The next village of Bue is where to find most of the caves for tasting and buying. A beautiful visit!
* Bourges (50mins) University city with lots of style, gothic cathedral and medieval quarter
* Also the stylish towns of Beaunne, Dijon, The Basilica of St Mary Magdalen in Vézelay and the Roman town of Autun easily reached for a day trip out.
* Cycling, walking, bird-watching, tennis, golf, fishing and swimming are all available within the area.
* For the kids there is karting at Magny-Cours, an aquatic centre at Nevers and nature trails and canoeing in the Foret de Troncais
* Famous Formula One grand prix motor racing at Magny-Cours is 20 minutes away.
* Le Prieuré Notre-Dame d’Orsan (50 mins) – Gardens and Restaurant. Truly enchanting! A medieval monastery garden brought back to life… with kitchen-gardens, orchards, a garden of medicinal herbs, a rose-garden, secret gardens, as well as a charming a restaurant in this perfect location.
* Foret de Troncais – less than half an hour from the property: horse riding, sailing picnicking, walking and many more outdoor activities are available here!