La Maison Tranquille is to be found in the midst of the Loire countryside surrounded by old woodlands, gently rolling hills and traditional mixed farms of the Berry Region. It is a stone built cottage on two floors surrounded by a delightful sunny garden, which has been planted with sweet-scented flowers, aromatic herbs and fruit trees. Inside, the cottage has been renovated to a very high standard whilst retaining its character and charm. It has a wealth of traditional features such as the original oak roof beams and a delightful stone fireplace.
Nestling at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, in the hamlet of Neuvy Le Barrois, it is located some 5 miles from the market town of Sancoins and some 50 minutes south of Sancerre.
Le Petit Chez Soi, the village bistro and bar will re-open in March with a new chef/patron. He previously ran the highly rated restaurant in the nearby village of Apremont and more recently ran a Basque style bistro in the city of Nevers. We are already looking forward to delightful lunches and delicious dinners in the newly renovated dining-room! The bar also serves as a Depot de Pain, so you can order you daily baguette there!
The surrounding farms are rightly proud of their herds of pure-bred Charolais cattle, which are renowned for the the excellent quality of their beef.
Picture this: breakfast in the garden under the cherry tree, accompanied by the sound of birdsong; preparing a picnic for the bicycle ride to the medieval village of Apremont; stopping for a beer or ice cream, soaking in the tranquil atmosphere of this historic village; returning for a barbecue in the soft glow of the evening sunshine. C'est parfait!
We have Wifi installed for the use of guests, so that you can both relax and stay in touch!
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 2 bedrooms|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 shower room and 1 toilet only|
|Check in time:||16:00|
|Check out time:||10:00|
|Nearest beach||Nearest River Beach 10 km|
|Nearest Amenities||10 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Charles de Gaulle 292 km, Nearest railway: Nevers 20 km|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Fireplace, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Furniture||Super King Beds (1), Single Beds (3), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 8|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Access||Secure parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
The cottage is generously equipped and is heated by electric thermostatically controlled radiators and a large woodburning stove.
|Further details outdoors|
The cottage is set to the rear of the hamlet (the last house) and is surrounded by fields. There's a huge old woodland behind where one can walk quietly. The garden is totally enclosed and very spacious.
An ancient route for trade, the Loire area has historical sites which range from the troglodyte caves at Rochmenier to extensive Romans remains. The central Loire Valley is host to France’s longest river as well as the magnificent ancient medieval capital of Bourges, the cathedral of Chartes and magical châteaux at Amboise, Cheveny and Chenonceaux.
Plenty of interesting places within easy reach:
* Apremont (5 mins) A medieval village justly deserving its "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France” (most beautiful village) status. You can enjoy the floral park, château and carriage museum, or simply enjoy a walk through this beautiful village and pause on the banks of the river Allier.
* Sancoins (10mins) is a bustling market town with an Intermarche, small shops, hotels and bars. The market takes place on Wednesday mornings, covering five squares in the centre of town. There is also a cattle market each Wednesday morning where the farmers buy and sell: it houses at least 2 restaurants!
* Nevers (20mins) Bordered by the Loire, Nevers is a city of arts and history, with the palais ducal, the beautiful cathedral and the Formula 1 circuit. A must to visit is the Grotto of St. Bernadette. There are options here for gourmet dining. The main line rail service to Paris is found here, with central Paris only 2 hours away by train!
* Sancerre (50mins) is a medieval hill-top village famous for the Sauvignon Blanc wines. The next village of Bue is where to find most of the caves for tasting and buying. A beautiful visit!
* Bourges (50mins) University city with lots of style, gothic cathedral and medieval quarter
* Also the stylish towns of Beaunne, Dijon, The Basilica of St Mary Magdalen in Vézelay and the Roman town of Autun easily reached for a day trip out.
* Cycling, walking, bird-watching, tennis, golf, fishing and swimming are all available within the area.
* For the kids there is karting at Magny-Cours, an aquatic centre at Nevers and nature trails and canoeing in the Foret de Troncais
* Famous Formula One grand prix motor racing at Magny-Cours is 20 minutes away.
* Le Prieuré Notre-Dame d’Orsan (50 mins) – Gardens and Restaurant. Truly enchanting! A medieval monastery garden brought back to life… with kitchen-gardens, orchards, a garden of medicinal herbs, a rose-garden, secret gardens, as well as a charming a restaurant in this perfect location.
* Foret de Troncais – less than half an hour from the property: horse riding, sailing picnicking, walking and many more outdoor activities are available here!