The Casita is a recently converted ground floor apartment adjoining our own Cortijo with it's own private entrance and terrace, situated in a delightful rural setting with beautiful views over olive clad hills and the tiny village of La Parrilla lying in the valley below. Enter through your patio gate that is child secure into your en=suite bedroom with a double bed with meory foam mattress, a large walk in wardrobe with bed side cabinets and lights with a larger dressing table, wall mounted t.v. with DVD player and free to view satellite, a door leads into the kitchen/diner where a sofa bed is available for a third guest. The kitchen is fully fitted with microwave, toaster, electric coffee machine, 4 burner gas hob and glassware, crockery etc.
Nearby is the historic town of Iznajar with Moorish castle high on a rocky outcrop overlooking it's breathtaking 32km lake known as 'The lake of Andalucia' surrounded by hills & mountains. The charming town of Antequera with it's many buildings of architectural interest & nearby stunning El Torcal parque natural with great walks lie approx.30/40 mins away.
For those interested in outdoor leisure pursuits the lake offers fishing & swimming, sailing, canoes, pedaloes etc from it's beach in summer whilst this is perfect walking, mountain biking & bird watching country. Local horse riding & superb 18 hole golf course closeby. Ideally situated for exploring Granada and The Alhambra, Cordoba & The Mesquite and Seville - spend a relaxing holiday deep in the heart of rural Andalucia and experience real Spain if you want to really relax ask Roger & Elizabeth to do the cooking for you and have a lesson on making the very best Paella, topped off with a Whisky Masterclass, this is an area for the culture vulture with so much to see and do amongst learning how to relax Spanish style.
|Size||Sleeps up to 3, 1 bedrooms|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 en suite|
|Nearest beach||Iznajar lake beach 15 km|
|Nearest Amenities||8 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Granada & Malaga 85 km, Nearest railway: Antequera 40 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player, Staffed property|
|Pool||Shared outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Telephone, Fax machine, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge|
|Furniture||Double Beds (1), Sofa Beds (1), Cots available (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 3|
|Other||High chair available|
|Outdoors||Shared outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
Our property is situated deep in the heart of Andalucia away from all the high rise blocks and mass tourism of the busy coastal resorts. We feel that this is the real unspoilt Spain that not everybody gets to experience, rich in local customs, culture and warmth of the local people not to mention the outstanding natural beauty of the landscape.
Cities worth seeing
- This is the perfect retreat for those wanting a chill out holiday whilst being ideally located for exploring the main cultural centres of the Andalucia, especially Granada, Cordoba and Seville.
Visit Granada's magnificent Alhambra palace, the last strong hold of the Moors in Spain, Cordoba's incredible Mezquita mosque & Cathedral and Seville's Cathedral , Giralda tower, plaza de Espana and Real Alacazar.
Locally the charming town of Antequera with it's many buildings of architectural interest , historical Roman and Moorish influences including the Moorish castle overlooking the town is definitely worth visiting.
- The summers here are long, hot and sunny with cloudless skies perfect for relaxing around the pool whilst spring is also pleasantly warm & the countryside is alive with a profusion of wild flowers in the olive groves
During autumn and winter the cooler weather is ideal for out door pursuits, the sun sets are wonderful, the lemon & orange trees bear fruit and the olives are ready for harvest.
- This is a genuinely unspoilt working rural area producing some of Spain's finest quality olive oil.
Try some typical Andalucian cuisine such as delicious chorizo, Porras Antequera, Jamon Serrano, Morcilla, Gazpacho Tortillas, and many tasty pork dishes with a glass of chilled fino or a rioja in one of many tapas bars or very resonably priced restaurants in the area.
- Experience the vibrant energy of the local ferias in the summer months with authentic flamenco, singing, dancing, children's rides, shows and more into the early hours! There are two main ferias in Antequera , May and August. More locally Villanueva de Algaidas first week in August, La Atalaya in May, Iznajar and La Parrilla in early September plus many more in other locations. The more serious but unmissable Semana Santa (Easter) processions and festivities are also a must to see.
- Walking: There are many local walks of varying degrees of difficulty, with tracks and trails around the nearby lake with stunning views and for more serious walkers the GR7 (Gran Recorrido) footpath which crosses Andalucia passes very close by & into Cordoba province through the beautiful & dramatic SIERRAS SUBETICA Parque natural.
The EL TORCAL - Parque natural with remarkable limestone rock formations, abundant flora and fauna, walking trails & incredible views towards the Mediterranean lies south of Antequera. Approx 50 mins.
El Chorro gorge and nearby lakes with beach water sports. approx. 90 mins
Fuente de Piedra with its huge lagoon & nature reserve is famous for hundreds of flamingo and at least 30 species of aquatic birds.approx. 40 mins.
Washington Irving Route: Follow the route taken by the 19th century traveller/writer from Seville & the Alhambra, Granada described in 'The Tales of the Alhambra'.
Nearby is an excellent Riding stables and school offering hacking, trail riding, day & weekend rides ,riding, dressage & jumping lessons and pony rides for children.(english speaking)
- Quad biking
Available at an off road track near Antequera
18 hole par 72 Golf course at Antequera set amidst superb scenery set in the mountains with 10 lakes and spectacular views of El Torcal and over the plains of Antequera. Also there are wide variety of courses on the coast approx. 1 hour plus.
Skiing at the Sierra Nevada ski resort. We are approx.75 mins away from the Sierra Nevada mountain range and Ski resort south of Granada. The resort enjoys a longer than average season & offers excellent skiing for all levels of ability. Dedicated snowboard area. Husky dog sleigh rides & snowbikes for hire. Also ski equipment hire.
Mountain bikes available to rent subject to notice.
Day trip to Madrid?! New High speed 2.5 hour rail link from Antequera to Madrid now open.
- We are close to the attractive 32 km lake at Iznajar which is overlooked by the historic town itself set high on a rocky out crop and surrounded by olive clad hills and mountains. The lake beach offers swimming, swimming,canoe & pedaloe hire in summer and this is perfect walking and bird watching country.
Iznajar with its fascinating winding narrow streets, Moorish castle & Church offers many little bars, restaurants and dozens of small shops. The property is situated within an unspoilt typically rural location which produces some of Spain's finest olive oil & you may experience some agricultural noise from time to time. The olive harvesting period runs from approx December to March/April
- La Parrilla village has a typical local Andalucian bar (serves tapas) ,play area with swings/slides, hardcourt for football/tennis ,olive mill & ancient chapel.Visit the town of Villanueva de Algaidas with its restaurants, tapas bars & shops including small supermarkets.There are even two nightclubs here for the younger generation!
For children there is the Science park at Granada, Donkey Sanctuary at Fuente de Piedra, Wolf Park near Antequera as well as the lake beach summer activities.