A fine horse trough immediately in front of La Place Basse testifies to the house’s origin as a delightful 18th Century Relai de Poste with many of it’s original features such as stone staircases, fine beams and massive arches having been retained, as well as “La Pharmacie” which operated in part of the house until the late 1960’s. Set within huge surrounding walls they provide a totally private garden and beautiful , heated swimming pool, 6m x 4m.
Terraces at second floor level provide lovely views over the surrounding village and endless vineyards and the very large 1st floor side terrace includes a full sized table tennis table which together with the garden and pool are all delightfully illuminated at night.
The property has been renovated to a very high standard and is beautifully furnished to satisfy tastes both old and young. Built originally as 4 and 6 Place Basse, the enormous master bedroom on the second floor occupies the entire floor area of No 4 and includes a private terrace . In total there are 5 bedrooms with 2 ensuite bathrooms plus 1 shared bathroom and separate WC’s plus a further 2 terraces. 3 of the bedrooms are air conditioned with air circulators in the remainder.
The fully equipped kitchen includes an American style fridge freezer... UK satellite tv; wifi internet and lies adjacent to the charming garden terrace which shaded by an ancient Robinia tree overlooks the garden and pool allowing al fresco dining by day and by night. Large double garage.
Only 1 minute’s walk from all local facilities, 2 restaurants, 2 boulangeries with a first class butcher and green grocer plus on Fridays a bustling local market brings the full range of France’s local produce almost to your doorstep. Caux itself boasts a 13th century church whose tower can be climbed to give the most wonderful view of the surrounding vineyards, the Mediterranean coastline and the Black mountains inland and is but a short drive from Pezenas made famous by Moliere, and now a centre of culture and history with an endless choice of pavement cafes, bars and restaurants.
|Size||Sleeps up to 10, 5 bedrooms|
|Rooms||5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 family bathroom and 2 en suites|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Beziers 30 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player|
|Pool||Shared outdoor pool (heated)|
|General||Air conditioning, TV, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Furniture||Double Beds (3), Single Beds (4), Dining seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Shared outdoor pool (heated), Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
|Access||Secure parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
This French holidays villa is situated in Caux. The Mediterranean coast is 30 minutes to the south, the hills and mountains 30 minutes to the north, Montpellier, the thriving capital of the Languedoc is with its international airport (Ryanair, BA) is 45 minutes away by car. One of the most diverse regions of France, the Languedoc offers mountains, lakes, rivers and beautiful stretches of coastline; major towns and fairytale citadels. Languedoc is one of the most prolific wine-producing areas of France and a happy afternoon can be spent touring the many vineyards and tasting the local produce.
- Beziers (15 minutes), historic town and capital of wine producing and rugby. Especially vibrant in August and during it`s famous Feria. Perhaps the best flower market in the whole of the south on Fridays in the beautiful tree-lined main boulevard.
- Canal du Midi which links the Atlantic with the Mediterranean, miles of flat walks along the shady tow-paths. A choice of boat excursions can be taken.
- Carcassonne castle is well worth a visit, especially on jousting days!
- Roque Haute - outskirts of Portiragnes. Superb botanical reserve.
- Golf courses nearby at Beziers and Cap d`Agde
- Funfair at Vias Plage (July and August)
- Bassin de Thau - a calm inland sea teeming with fish. A breeding place for oysters and shellfish, producing over half the oysters consumed in France. Villages, such as Bouzigues and Meze, have many restaurants serving sumptuous platters of fresh shellfish.
- Haut-Languedoc Regional Nature Park - gorges, Lac de Salagou, a very beautiful area only 30 minutes drive away, with its stunning gorges and wuperb walking, hiking, river rafting, watersports and carp fishing.
- Roquebrun (called “Little Nice“) with its Mediterranean garden with over 400 species.
- Pezenas - City of Moliere with an exceptional architectural heritage. Numerous arts and crafts artists
with workshops open to the public. Large market every Saturday.
- Spain - an hour`s drive to the border.
- Barcelona - approximately 3 hours` drive
You have your choice of airports across the South of France to reach Caux, French holidays villa. You can :
Fly to Perpignan (1 hour)
Fly to Carcassonne (1 hour)
Fly to Montpellier (45 mins)
Fly to Nimes (1 hour 15 mins)
Fly to Beziers (30 mins)
Booking terms for this French holidays villa are as follows. £200 security deposit required, sorry no pets, linen and towels included