This apartment is one of a property consisting of a total of 5 apartments located in San Donato in Poggio, a town in Florentine Chianti Classico area, 21km from Florence and 25km from Siena.
The brand-new large open-plan penthouse (37 sq.m + 1 terrace 18 sq.m + 1 balcony 7 sq.m) is built in traditional Tuscan style with wooden beams, terracotta flooring and stone walls. It is at second floor and it comprises a bedroom/lounge with sofa-bed, bathroom with shower cubicle, furnished kitchen (dishes, cooker, dishwasher etc.). This apartment has a terrace/solarium and a large balcony as well as large communal garden with swimming pool, both equipped with tables and parasols, chairs, sun-loungers and hammocks.
Included in the price of the apartment you will have: bed linen and bath towels (changed weekly), water, light, gas, dishwasher, electric cooker, refrigerator and freezer, kettle, satellite TV, WiFi, air conditioning, heating, automatic boiler, anti-allergenic mattresses, baby cot (on request), outdoor tables and chairs, weekly cleaning.
In the medieval village of San Donato (300 mt) you can find bars, restaurants, pizzerias, gelato shops, supermarkets and much more.
|Size||Sleeps up to 2, 1 bedrooms|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 family bathroom, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Florence 35 km, Nearest railway: Florence 30 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
|Pool||Shared outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, Air conditioning, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer|
|Furniture||Double Beds (1), Sofa Beds (1), Cots available (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Shared outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Shared garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
Travelling on the motorway link that leads from Florence to Siena, after passing the diversion for Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, you reach the junction for San Donato in Poggio, a welcoming historical village (23 km from Florence – 35 km from Siena), where you arrive after 5 minutes on the Municipal road to Castellina. San Donato in Poggio is located at an altitude of approx. 400m, on one of the most delightful hillocks in the heart of Chianti, a well-known region for its good wine and olive oil, but also for the simplicity and friendliness of its inhabitants as well as for its abundant fauna.
San Donato in Poggio has Roman origins: a castrum militare in defence of the Cassia consular Roman road, that coming from Siena on the ridge of the hills passed through the Pesa valley. In the IV century, the soldiers of the garrison, who were Christians from Arezzo devoted to their holy bishop, called their fortress “San Donato”. In the Middle Ages it is called San Donato in loco poci, later San Donato in podio and finally San Donato in Poggio.
San Donato in Poggio is now a hamlet of the Town of Tavarnelle (since 1895), but it was an independent town until 1774. The castle of San Donato, like the one at Tignano and that of Barberino Val d’Elsa, formed an almost impassable Florentine offensive and defensive barrier.
Very well preserved, still visible today are the boundary walls of the ancient fortress – referred to in documents dating back to 989, 1038, 1090 and various others – as well as the Guard Tower (Torrino) and the little alleys inside the castle (via dei Baluardi, via dei Fossi) onto which the houses leaning against the wall open.
San Donato in Poggio deserves an attentive observation from which the imagination conjures up visions of epic battles, fought in the surroundings countryside, between the lords of Florence and those of Siena. Here at San Donato, the Florentine men at arms concentrated to attack the Siena troops, and it was exactly here that the Florentine soldiers joined forces for the battle of Montaperti (1260) mentioned by Dante Alighieri in the Divine Comedy. San Donato is remembered for having been chosen twice (in 1176 and in 1265) as the place where peace treaties were stipulated between the two rival Republics of Florence and Siena.
Today, however, everything inspires feelings of peace and serenity. The Porta Fiorentina (Florentine gateway), the marvellous Romanesque church, the Santuario della Madonna di Pietracupa, the Chiesa della Compagnia and the surrounding landscape make this hamlet truly well worth seeing.
The Romanesque parish church called Pieve, with three aisles and three apses, was built outside the boundary walls and dates to about the year 1000. In the church are kept a lot of art treasures, such as the baptistery made by Giovanni della Robbia (1513) and a crucifix by the Giotto School, ascribed to Taddeo Gaddi. In the inner part of the castle, the Malaspina Square, with its octagonal well, is surrounded by the Magisterial Palace and the suggestive Malaspina Palace, which has been recently renovated and it is currently home to interesting artistic and cultural events.