Parking available - 20 minutes into the West End - pets welcome. (Our reviews appear at the end of this section.)
Harringay in North London has been our home for three years. We actually stumbled upon the neighbourhood as somewhere we'd like to live during an Airbnb visit!
We wanted somewhere with energy, but also that was full of families, independent shops and great transport links, within London and beyond.
We found it here: from its Turkish restaurants - one of which was recently named #2 in London on Trip Advisor, and wide variety of restaurants from Polish to live music burger bats; which often feature as Time Out Award Winners; to the arty coffee shops, 24 hour fruit and vegetable shops, and Finsbury Park (which only on moving here did we realise is actually a park, not just a tube station); it's a lovely place to call home.
First and foremost, our apartment is our home. As such it has homely feel quite different to a traditional 'holiday rental'. It is a Victorian, ground floor conversion, with a lovely garden on a quiet street with residents parking at £3.20 per day (please let us know when booking if you will be arriving by car, and we will add the cost to your booking).
Our style is something approximating 'upcycled, vintage industrial, antique chic'! Bonus points go to being able to identify from the photos all of the myriad weird and wonderful things we've upcycled into lamps. Clue: one's an antique, ceramic hot water bottle; and one is in homage to the chefs of the variety of Turkish and Kurdish cuisine on our doorstep.
In a similar way, our garden is 'take it as you find it!' It's special to have an outdoor space in London, but we are in no way green fingered; and the grass cannot be said to be manicured by any stretch of the imagination! In winter it is long and lush and green; in Summer, it is bare and brown! It's great for BBQs, dog exercising or star gazing though.
We have a white-ish sofa, which is regularly laundered and clean; but bits of which can categorically no longer be described as white! We also have a fondness for recycling eclectic door panels into built in wardrobes, have well used and loved pots and pans and, as reflected by one of our earliest guests: it's a lived in house, not a hotel. Our home reflects us, our travels, and the city of London in all its glorious variety; and if this is your thing: you'll love staying here.
The large double bedroom is South facing, with Victorian ceilings. It has a wardrobe, chest of drawers, and double glazing; it's airy, bright and calm.
We have just purchased a 'trundle bed' for the room: this means sleeping arrangements can be configured either as two single beds (one of which is a bit narrower and shorter than the other due to the design); or pushed together to form a double bed (but with two single mattresses). If you are using the room just for one person, or a child, we can set the room up with just one single; in which case you'll have lots of additional floor space. We made this decision as it allows us to be more flexible for guests: please ask if you have any questions about how it can work for you.
The second double is smaller, but with the same high ceilings, built in wardrobe, chest of drawers, a king sized bed, and view onto the garden.
The kitchen has a gas hob, and oven, and fridge freezer for your use; and the bathroom (which is feeling a little sorry for itself, and is due for a makeover!) has an over bath shower.
All bed linens and towels are included in your stay.
The photos may show a TV and dining table, but we no longer have these and are just updating our photos to reflect this.
Also, we don't have a television; but the fast and unlimited Broadband will support all your technology.
Stay October 2014
-Everything was perfect, we had a wonderful time (4 days, 4 people). We went there by tube and bus and Caroline's description lead us without any problems to the location. The bus station is just around the corner. The flat is very cosy, has got a warm atmosphere and everything you need. Harringay Green Lanes is a very lively place, Stanhope Gardens is calm and a good place to relax after a day in the crowded city. A gorgeous pub, The Salisbury, is only 10 minutes walk. What we liked best in London: Alternative London organizes walks and bike tours.
Reisezeit Ende Oktober 2014
- Wir (4 Personen) haben vier sehr schöne Tage verbracht. Die Anreise mit Tube und Bus war völlig unproblematisch, die Beschreibung der Vermieter perfekt und die Bushaltestelle in der Nähe. Die Wohnung ist gemütlich und hat alles, was man für einen Aufenthalt braucht. Harringay Green Lanes ist eine absolut quirlige multi-kulti Straße, wohingegen man 50m weiter in Stanhope Gardens ruhig wohnen kann. Ein toller Pub, The Salisbury, ist nur knapp 10 min Fußweg entfernt. Wer mag, kann natürlich auch den Bus nehmen. Ganz toll: Alternative London im Eastend von London. Sie bieten walks und bike tours an.
- We stayed at Carl and Caroline's place for an extended period. They were extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with - the house was spotlessly clean when we arrived, and the notes were comprehensive and very helpful, including which of the (fantastic) local restaurants we should eat at. It's a lived-in house not a hotel, and if like us that's what you're looking for, you'll love it.
- Caroline and Carl are wonderful hosts. The communication was excellent; timely and extremely helpful. The listing was everything we expected and more. It is conveniently located in an area just outside of the city center so after a full day of sightseeing you come back to a quiet place to sleep. Perfect for longer stays. The food on the main road only two blocks away had some of the best Turkish food I've ever had! And plenty of other choices as well. The neighborhood was safe and clean with public transportation readily available. The people were very friendly. There is a park nearby and good pubs as well.
- Welcoming, cozy, positioned in a nice quiet street but not too far from all the action and restaurants. Clean comfortable beds - will book again. Thank you Carl and Caroline - great hosts!
- Fab flat, everything you would need, felt very homely and safe. Great transport connections too! Had great and speedy communications with Caroline. Lovely people.
- This flat is absolutely gorgeous! It has beautiful furniture and decoration. It is small, but you find everything you might need. The hosts are very helpful and communicative. Some things didn't work properly, as in every household, but we felt very comfortable. The location is just perfect, close to Metro and Bus stations, lots of shops and restaurants just down the street. Even though we were a group of five people, we could easily fit in this flat (2 bedrooms and couch).
- Excellent location. funky, friendly and clean place. Would highly recommend!
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Nearest beach||Southend 75 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest Amenities||500 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Stansted Airport 51 km, Nearest railway: Finsbury Park 2.3 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
|General||Central heating, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer|
|Furniture||Single Beds (2)|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Access||Parking, Suitable for people with restricted mobility, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
Harringay is beautifully multicultural and family friendly. The restaurants are open almost 24/7, and our flat is located exactly the perfect distance away that you can walk to them easily, but not hear them!
The 24 hour culture and community feel where people have settled with families, means you feel welcome and safe whatever the time of day.
The area is known as having 'the best transport links outside of zone 1'.
Manor House on the Piccadilly line is our local tube station (15 minutes walk, taking you to Covent Garden and Kings Cross in less than 15 minutes );
Harringay Green Lanes on the overground which can connect you with Kew Gardens and South London;
Harringay National Rail;
and three bus routes (two of which are 24 hour night bus routes) which take you as far afield as London Bridge, Trafalgar Square and Brick Lane, as well as excellent car and rail routes North into the countryside of Hertfordshire.
Arriving from Stansted on the Stansted Express brings you into Tottenham Hale; which is then a 15-20 minute taxi ride from the apartment. Dependant on how far ahead you book; or how large your group is; you may find it cheaper and easier (with luggage) to get a pre-booked taxi from Stansted directly to the apartment.
Manor Gardens tube is about 10-15 minute walk from the apartment. It's on the Piccadilly Line in Zone 2. If you change onto the Victoria Line at Finsbury Park, it's about 20 minutes in to Covent Garden, Oxford Street, and the theatres of the West End.
Harringay Green Lanes Overground is about 4 minute walk, just at the end of the road. It connects to Southend in one direction, Clapham Junction in another and Kew Gardens in yet another. It's a lovely above ground way to cover the longer distances in London, and all with a view...
Harringay Rail Station is about 10 minute walk. It is on the commuter line. It can have you into Old Street and Moorgate midweek; and Kings Cross on the weekend, within 12 minutes.
Three bus routes (the 29, 341 and 141) (two of which are 24 hour ones from Trafalgar Square and East London) leave from the end of the road – about 2 minutes walk from the flat. These are our preferred method of commuting and offer great people and neighbourhood watching from the front of the top decks!
All of these transport options make the location prime for commuting, visiting the Top 10 Tourist Sites, or for exploring the new and trendy London neighbourhoods. Or even escaping the City to the countryside to the North, or seaside (Southend) to the East!
We'd be happy to tell you more about how to do any of these.