'Berenice' - gite / cottage at Bellefontaine, near to Mortain. – Home 5638869 Gite
- 3 bedrooms
- 6 sleeps
- min stay varies
'Berenice' - gite / cottage at Bellefontaine, near to Mortain. – Home 5638869
- 3 bedrooms
- 6 sleeps
- min stay varies
Gite / 3 bedrooms / 1 bathroom / sleeps 6
- Nearest beach 50 km
- Child friendly
- Car essential
- Pet friendly
- Private garden
Description from owner
Our gite Berenice at Bellefontaine near Mortain is rustic and charming with 3 bedrooms - all set on one floor and provides a good sized sitting / dining room with a large dining table able to seat up to eight people. There is a larger sofa-bed, a smaller sofa-bed, other chairs and a stone-built open fire-place. It has a separate fitted kitchen with fridge / freezer, electric cooker, microwave, electric kettle & toaster, utensils, crockery and cutlery provided. There's tiled flooring throughout, with electric room heaters and a heated towel rail. 3 bedrooms are available - a double, a twin and a bunks, each with their own wardrobes. All beds are provided with linen, including duvets and pillows. There is a bathroom (shower over the bath) with wash basin and toilet. This single-storey gite has a lovely rustic feel, provides comfortable accommodation with modern conveniences, a fitted kitchen, electric heating, is attractively furnished and has an open log fire available. A hardwood
Our gite Berenice at Bellefontaine near Mortain is rustic and charming with 3 bedrooms - all set on one floor and provides a good sized sitting / dining room with a large dining table able to seat up to eight people. There is a larger sofa-bed, a smaller sofa-bed, other chairs and a stone-built open fire-place. It has a separate fitted kitchen with fridge / freezer, electric cooker, microwave, electric kettle & toaster, utensils, crockery and cutlery provided. There's tiled flooring throughout, with electric room heaters and a heated towel rail. 3 bedrooms are available - a double, a twin and a bunks, each with their own wardrobes. All beds are provided with linen, including duvets and pillows. There is a bathroom (shower over the bath) with wash basin and toilet. This single-storey gite has a lovely rustic feel, provides comfortable accommodation with modern conveniences, a fitted kitchen, electric heating, is attractively furnished and has an open log fire available. A hardwood patio table and chairs are provided on the veranda to enjoy sitting outside looking at the tremendous view. It is a wonderfully peaceful location. The local town of Mortain is only five minutes drive away, with beautiful waterfalls (the Grand Cascade & the Petite Cascade), the Abbaye Blanc (White Abbey), the Petite Chappelle and its view-point (Mont St. Michel can be seen on a clear day), rock climbing, lovely walks, an open-air swimming pool in summer, restaurants, cafés, an art gallery, supermarkets and shops. Go-Karting is available en-route to Mortain. Many other attractive and historic market towns are also within easy travelling distance in this lovely area. (Please note to bring your own towels and tea-towels).
Non-smoking, with a TV available just to play DVD's or Videos.
Have a great time!
Location description from owner
The Basse-Normandie region
• Bellefontaine is a quaint village with a very pretty church. The walks around the area itself and through the village are lovely. There are wonderful views on the walk turning left after the church.
• The waterfalls at Mortain (5 mins drive east) are excellent and there's a beautiful walk there too. (Follow signs to the Grande Cascade & the Petite Cascade). There are picnic tables available at the base of the waterfalls.
• The Petite Chapelle is high up on the hill above Mortain with great views.
• Fosse Artheur (15 mins drive east) is a delightful spot by a river. There's a lovely walk around a large and beautiful lake, with a play area at one end. Also there are woodland walks and alongside the river itself. There's a restaurant beside the river with very good meals available or just a crepe, ice creams, etc. Horse riding can be arranged there too.
• Granville and Jullouville are good coastal resorts (approx 40 mins drive west)
• For a quieter beaches head south of Carolles (also approx 40 mins drive west) which itself is very pleasant. The town of Avranches en-route is also worth a visit. A particularly quiet beach is found by driving via a village called Genets - then follow the horse riding signs.
• The Normandy beaches north of Bayeaux are of course wonderful for historic war museums, etc.
• The 'Village Enchante' family entertainment park is fairly nearby and offers a wide range of outdoor adventure and leisure facilities for small children through to adults. It's normally open from the end of June to the end of August daily from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (including bank holidays).
• The local pottery near Ger called the 'Musee Regional de la Poterie' (15 mins drive north-east) is sign-posted from the main road as you go in to Mortain and is worth a visit.
• The Maison de la Pomme et de la Poire (Apple and Pear Museum) and cider farm at Barenton (15mins drive east) is very interesting.
• An open air swimming pool / lido is at Mortain (5 mins drive east).
• The indoor swimming pool situated on the north side of Vire is superb. (30 mins drive north)
• Go-karting is close by on the way towards Mortain - great fun.
• The bell foundry at Villedieu-les-Poeles (40 mins drive north-west) is excellent. There are also several museums in the town worth seeing.
• The Avranches Scriptorial (40 mins drive west) is where the manuscripts from Mont St. Michel are exhibited; they are fascinating.
• At Fougeres (45 mins drive south-west) there's a wonderful old chateau (castle) which is well worth a visit with good cafes nearby.
There are golf courses at Lake Dachee near Vire (25 minutes drive north) and at Granville (40 minutes drive west towards the coast).
• Mortain (5 mins drive east) is an attractive town with a lovely church, interesting shops, café, gallery, the white abbey and the waterfalls. The larger supermarkets are situated on the north-western edge of the town and are sign-posted (e.g. Carrefour).
• Domfront (approx 25 mins drive east) is a beautiful medieval town with interesting shops and good restaurants.
• St Hilaire du Harcouet (25 mins drive west) is an interesting town with a beautiful church, a lake and river walk - with a large play area, putting, crazy golf, etc. The market is on a Wednesday morning in the centre and is very extensive.
• Villedieu-les-Poeles (approx 40 mins drive north-west) has a market on Tuesday mornings, and there are also the museums, etc.
• Bayeaux (approx 1 1/2 hours drive north) - the tapestry is wonderful and the town is full of interest.
• Mont St. Michel (approx 1 hour drive west) is very interesting and well worth a visit. Check the tide times, and it usually gets busier there in the afternoons.
• Caen is well worth exploring (1 hour drive north-east).
• Mayenne (45 mins drive south-east) is a lovely old town with boat trips available on the river.
• Clecy (45 mins drive north-east) is good for canoeing and river walks – with Falaise nearby, having William the Conqueror's castle to visit.
Places to eat locally:
(It's usually much better value to eat out at lunch time ordering the plat/menu du jour, rather than eating out in the evenings. All towns have restaurants, but below are the ones we've tried and that have impressed us. At the restaurants mentionedexpect to pay about 11-14 Euros for a 3 course meal, which sometimes includes a glass of wine or local cider!)
• The charming ' L'Abbeye ' cafe / bar / restaurant is very welcoming and child-friendly. It's also very nearby being only 5 minutes drive away at the village of Le Neufbourg in the Route de la Gare, 50140 heading towards Mortain and is found just off the main road.
• Mortain – the 'Au Bon Vent' at the eastern end of Mortain has great food and is a very good value traditional café at week-day lunch-times.
• Le Neufbourg village (only 5 mins drive towards Mortain) has the welcoming L'Abbaye café / bar / restaurant – child-friendly too.
• Brouains – (10 mins drive north-west) has the 'Auberge du Moulin'. Three lunchtimes a week they have a menu du jour (Wed, Thurs, Fri) - excellent value and superb food. There is a river museum on site too.
• Barenton village (15 mins drive east) has the 'Le Relais du Parc' café restaurant located on the main road - very pleasant and good value.
• Creperie at Fosse-Artheur (25 mins drive east). The restaurant is right on the river, with a very pleasant outside seating area available.
• The 'Anacapri' restaurant in the Rue de Paris at St Hilaire du Harcouet (25 mins drive west) has excellent food and is very reasonably priced. One of our favourites, and we usually combine it with a visit to the market there which is on Wednesday mornings.
- Great for children of all ages
- Pets welcome
Bed & bathroom
- Bedroom 1: Double Bed
Bedroom 2: 2 Single Beds
Bedroom 3: Bunk Bed
Beds in other rooms: Sofa Bed
- 1 Family bathroom
- Shared garden
- Private garden
- Balcony or terrace
- Central heating
- DVD player
- Hair dryer
- Linen provided
- Not suitable for wheelchair users
- Check in time:15:00, Check out time:11:00
- If you have any questions about check-in or check-out times, please contact the owner/manager.
- This rental can only be paid for online through Holiday Lettings using your credit/debit card or PayPal (never by bank or wire transfer).
- No smoking at this property
- Cancellation policy
About the owner
- Response rate:
- Calendar updated::
- 16 Feb 2017
- Overall rating:
Languages spoken: English
This Gite has 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and sleeps 6. It’s been listed on Holiday Lettings since 06 Jan 2015. Located in Manche, it has 3 reviews with an overall rating of 4.5. The average weekly rate varies from £225 to £375.
The Owner has a response rate of 95% and the property’s calendar was last updated on 16 Feb 2017.
Map and how to get there
Build your perfect trip, with Holiday Lettings & TripAdvisor
Book with confidence
Pay online to be covered by Payment Protection
Real opinions, real reviews
Genuine guest feedback from 100,000+ reviews
Safe, simple, secure
When you pay online with PayPal or by credit/debit card
Quick response times
Know where you're staying within 24 hours