La Befferie cottage / gite
from £75 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £75 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
Cottage / 3 bedrooms / sleeps 8 Home 257659
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 3 bedrooms / sleeps 8
Only 20 minutes inland, La Befferie is a peaceful hideaway in the heart of Southern Normandy, in a wonderfully central location, an ideal base for touring Normandy and Brittany and within easy reach of the ferryports. Rural holiday cottage (gite) in Lower Normandy in the department of Manche. The house is typical of the region, oak frame and colombage with exposed beams and is probably 200 to 300 years old.
The cosy and inviting lounge has a lovely wood burning stove, the kitchen and dining room has all the amenities you will need and there are 3 bedrooms which each have their own bathroom or shower room. Suitable for 2 families to share, with a king and a double bedroom, and a bunk room for the children, or can be set up for 3 couples each with their own ensuite bathroom.
The front of the house is shaded by a large cherry tree for the warmer months, with garden furniture and a stone barbecue overlooking the meadow. The enclosed garden is surrounded by a cider apple orchard complete with a rustic bread oven and old water pump, the views down the meadow to the stream are relaxing and calm.
Located in a quiet lane, La Befferie is 5 minutes drive from the local village for provisions, 20 minutes from two busier towns (St Hilaire and Avranches) and within easy reach of many things to do. Near to Mont St Michel and the Brittany coast, the Normandy Landing Beaches of World War II, the mulberry harbour at Arromanches, the battery at Longues sur Mer.
Visit the unique Bayeux Tapestry, eat oysters fresh from the sea at Cancale, this fishing village is renowned for seafood through all of France. Taste the local Cider and Calvados at the farms they were made. Try the amazing food of Normandy, with local farm reared pork and apples, cream and cheeses. Visit medieval towns and chateaux, the historic city of Rennes, the pirate coastal towns and cities of St Malo and Granville, and relax on some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere in the world.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 3 bedrooms|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 2 En suites|
|Check in time:||16:00|
|Check out time:||10:00|
|Nearest beach||St Jean le Thomas, Avranches 30 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Dinard 81 km, Nearest railway: Avranches 16 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||TV, Video player, CD player, Satellite TV|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Washing machine|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, King Beds (1), Double beds (1), Single beds (2), Bunk Beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Swing set|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
The Basse-Normandie region
Southern Normandy is one of the most visited areas in France, offering rural and coastal holidays at the same time. There is so much to see within an hours drive, the coastline is long ranging from the Pink Granite coast of northern Brittany, all around the Cotentin peninsula to the Normandy Landing Beaches of World War II.
The region offers culinary delights from fresh seafood to traditional Normandy foods of Pork cooked in apples and cream, classic french fruit desserts, world renowned cheeses and locally produced farm cider and Calvados.
Visitors love the combination of activities, places to visit, things to do, amazing food and wonderful culture, and La Befferie is centrally located to explore all that La Basse Normandy has to offer.
Suggestions for things to do:
- Fish for your own tea at the local trout farm and cook it in the open on the stone barbecue when you get home.
- Wander around Ducey, Avranches, or St Hilaire (great market Wednesday mornings).
- Fabulous for cycling with routes along disused railways to Mortain, Ducey, and the Baie de Mont St Michel.
- Cancale is around an hours' drive, this lovely fishing village is the home to some of the best seafood restaurants in France.
- Visit the medieval hilltop town of Mortain and wander around the waterfalls, take in the panoramic scenery up by the chapel, where one of the significant events of WWI occurred in August 1944; for six nights the Americans of the 30th Infantry Division fought valiantly (with one radio with dying batteries) against the German Panzer counter-attack, to preserve the breakout established in Operation Cobra.
- The beaches around the St Malo area are among some of the best in France.
- Trek over the Baie de Mont St Michel, on foot or on horseback with experienced guides.
- Kayak along the Selune into the Baie, fish the See or the Selune in some of the best salmon rivers in France.
- The coastal walled city of St Malo is a fabulous day out; notorious as the home of the corsairs, French privateers and sometimes pirates. The corsairs of Saint-Malo not only forced English ships passing up the Channel to pay tribute, but also brought wealth from further afield. Today it is a busy old town, easy to walk around the walls and through the medieval streets, with plenty of places to stop and eat, drink and window shop.
- Visit Jersey or Guernsey in a day trip from Granville, or the Chaussey Isles which have attracted visitors for hundreds of years.
- The City of Rennes is a must do for its old Medieval streets and some of the finest architecture in the country.
- Fougeres is a walled city with a bustling market which is an enticing day out only 45 minutes drive away.
- Visit Granville, the birthplace of Christian Dior and Yves St Laurent and with museums dedicated to both of them.
- Some of the best beaches in this area are those to the south of Granville (St Pair sur mer, Jullouville and Carolles plage).
Build your perfect trip, with Holiday Lettings & TripAdvisor
Real opinions, real reviews
Genuine guest feedback from 100,000+ reviews
Quick response times
Know where you're staying within 24 hours
Safe, simple, secure
When you pay online with PayPal or by credit/debit card
Book with confidence
Pay online to be covered by Payment Protection
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
11 May 2014
"Best holiday ever"
We have stayed at La Befferie twice now and are hoping for a third visit soon; it is a fantastic and relaxing holiday location. The owners do all they can to make your stay as hassle free as possible. The house has everything you need to make your stay enjoyable such as TV with English channels, video player, DVD player, Play Station, stereo, dishwasher, washing machine etc. It is clean, tidy and low maintenance. The owners use the house for holidays themselves so it's more like a home than the usual basic holiday letting. All they ask is that you replace any items used. The house is at the end of a quiet lane with barely any passing traffic. It is great for a base to tour the area and not too far from sandy beaches which we loved to spend the day on and then back to the house for a BBQ and a nice glass of wine or two. St Malo is a lovely place to visit with a quaint old town with its many shops and restaurants to choose from. We can highly recommend La Befferie to take time out from the usual hustle and bustle of life!
You're booking with
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:28 Sep 2015
Based in United Kingdom