Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
Chase Cottage sits in a beautiful, unspoiled corner of the English Lake District National Park. Originally a barn, the cottage has been refurbished to create a comfortable, modern home-from-home, with everything you need for a relaxing enjoyable stay. There are lovely walks from the door around the peaceful Winster Valley, but the Lakeland Fells are not far away for the more adventurous. So you can be as active or as lazy as you like – with a village shop and two excellent pubs within walking distance, you really don't need to venture far! Bowland Bridge lies near the southern end of Lake Windermere, and is surrounded by open countryside of hills, woods and fields. Deer are often to be seen in the local surroundings. The hotspots of Bowness, Windermere, Ambleside and Coniston are all a short drive away and there is no shortage of tourist attractions throughout the area.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Lake Windermere 5 km|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||100 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Manchester 120 km, Nearest railway: Oxenholme 15 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (2), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 5|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden|
The Cumbria/Lake District
The English Lake District has been attracting visitors for hundreds of years.
With its unique blend of soaring mountains, idyllic lakes, peaceful hills and valleys, picturesque villages and lively tourist attractions, there is truly something for everyone, however active or whatever age.
Bowland Bridge is set at the heart of the unspoiled Winster Valley in the south-east corner of the National Park. Although only 10 minutes drive away from the honeypots of Bowness and Windermere, the area is quiet and peaceful. The hills and valleys are punctuated by rocky outcrops and covered by woods and small forests where deer can often be seen. There are lovely walks from the cottage door.
Alternatively, there is a maze of quiet lanes, ideal for cycling, and for watersports enthusiasts, Lake Windermere is just over the hill. There are numerous tourist attractions within a short drive. The area is famous for its food and pubs - the Hare & Hounds and Masons Arms are both within a short stroll. A slightly longer walk will take you to the renowned Brown Horse at Winster or the Punch Bowl at Crosthwaite. And the 'foodie' village of Cartmel is not far either.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
26 Mar 2014
"Great cottage, great location, great holiday"
We stayed at Chase Cottage for a long weekend. It was immaculate (probably the cleanest house I have been into!) and very well equipped with everything you need. There is a book of pub walks which we … More
17 Mar 2014
We stayed at Chase Cottage for our 10th anniversary, it looked amazing on the photos and we were not disappointed! It was absolutely immaculate inside and out, the kitchen was really well equipped with everything you would need (corkscrew most importantly!) bathroom and bedrooms were lovely and the beds were nice and comfy too!
The area itself (Bowland Bridge) is quite out of the way but a short drive from anywhere important so exactly what we were looking for! There is a great shop opposite which has most things you would want and the Hare and Hounds next door but one was amazing with regards to food and service! There's also another pub a couple of minute walk up the road called The Masons Arms which we unfortunately didn't get to go to so don't underestimate the 'booking in advance' advice, especially over the weekend! Even though there is a pub so close, its still really quiet during the night.
We took a lovely 20 minute drive into Windermere which was great, had a lovely walk, the tourist information has walking leaflets with directions from the town center which was fab! Although Chase Cottage had a really wide range of walking routes in a file which were really informative too!
Basically, I would say take some food to cook in the lovely kitchen (If you don't fancy eating out every night!) and plenty of wine/beer and enjoy it! It was just what we were looking for and we will definitely be going back! Hugh and Wendy, the owners were really helpful while we were booking too, giving us a few tips about the local area etc.
2 Mar 2014
"A lovely house in a great setting !"
Four old friends met up for a few days at this perfect place ! We had driven over the Pennines in the worst blizzard of the season thinking we might not make it and were delighted that we did ! In fact the news was full of the flooding and gales but we kept remarking on how lucky we were in the relative calm in this lovely area. We did very little but eat and talk ! The cottage was immaculately presented and very comfortable for four. The kitchen was spacious,modern and fully equipped. The bathroom was ultra-modern and both bedrooms were delightful. Both the pubs nearby served excellent food and the shop opposite the cottage was very handy for breakfast supplies and essentials. We managed a bracing walk up Gummer's How and a drive around the Langdale Pikes ! We would absolutely recommend this place for a holiday as it's easy to reach anywhere within the Lakes !
28 Dec 2013
Just returned from Chase Cottage, absolutely loved it and the area. The cottage has everything you could possibly want in it, its cosy but modern and very clean. Beautiful area, fantastic for walks and sightseeing. I cannot recommend highly enough, the owners had even put xmas tree and decorations up for us. Truly wonderful.
22 Nov 2013
"Chase Cottage, great location fantastic find."
We have just returned from a short break at Chase Cottage, a great place to spend time with family for our 30th wedding anniversary. Everything you need to make your stay home from home, well equipped… More
11 Nov 2013
"Fantastic Lakes getaway"
My wife and I have just returned from a perfect long weekend trip to the lovely Chase Cottage. We stayed three nights with our young daughter exploring the local area and enjoying all it has to offer.… More
1 Aug 2013
"Highly recommended as a base for exploring the Lakes."
4 of us stayed here in July 2013 on a week long holiday. Overall it was a really lovely cottage and one that we would be quite happy to recommend to friends and family.
Firstly though the negatives (very few of these!)
- The oven - the door didnt close properly which meant you either had to stand with your leg against it to keep the heat in or you had to accept the fact that it would take a while for anything to cook. Something that would be useful to be fixed.
- The beds - both couples found the mattresses to be very hard. They could really do with either new mattresses or just a mattress topper to soften it up a touch. Whilst this wouldn't necessarily put me off staying here again (as you will see, there are loads of positives) it would be great to see it being done.
- The communications with the owners was great. They were really easy to deal with and the instructions about the key location, car parking and directions were all spot on.
- The cottage itself was lovely and modern inside.
- The extra little touches - we really made the most of the cd's in the cottage as well as the maps / books on the local area.
- It was a really good size for the 4 of us.
- The outside seating area was brilliant - this is often what you sacrifice if you choose a place in one of the busier tourist areas - we used it every day and even cooked our own BBQ out there!
- The dvd player was a nice addition so that on the 1 ocasion it did rain, we were able to put on a dvd.
- The location - 2 doors down from the pub. Initially we were a little worried this would be noisy, but it is a lovely family friendly pub and we had no noise problems at all. We had dinner out one night and plenty of drinks so can recommend it for both! We were also able to do a walk from the door - up to Gummers Howe was somewhat longer than we initially expected (9 miles, 4.5 hrs) but you do go past the Masons Arms pub on your way back to the cottage, and this did a brilliant hot dog for lunch!
It would have been nice if....
- There had been an inventory list provided up front. We werent entirely sure what would be in the cottage and ended up bringing a lot of stuff we didn't need - tea towels. washing up liquid, toilet rolls, kitchen towels, sandwich bags etc.
- We had been provided with more black bin bags. We only had 1 so had to buy some from the shop.
- There were some leaflets about things to do locally in addition to the books / maps (we did leave all of ours behind, so this is perhaps more something for the guests to do).
- There was wi-fi
Recommended for those wanting a base to explore the lakes, those who are happy to use the car on a daily basis and those who enjoy being in the middle of no-where.
Not recommended for those who want to be in the middle of it all, those without a car / no inclination to drive or those who don't like nature!
- A very nice place to stay.
- Good value for money
- We were all really happy with our choice to stay here rather than in Bowness / Windemere.
- Plenty of space
- Great communication from the owners
- Definitely recommended.
It's always helpful to have feedback and we do encourage our guests to let us know if anything is not working or could be improved. The oven door problem is now being fixed, as it had also been reported to us by a subsequent guest. In fact we managed to get someone out to look at it within 24 hours of being reported to us, because we don't want any niggles to spoil our guests' holiday. The suggestion of an inventory is a good one and we will look at adding some further info with the directions so that guests know what to expect. We will also look at changing the mattresses, though of course this is a matter of personal preference, and having stayed there often ourselves I had never been struck by them being unduly firm. Finally, there is (or should be) a very large stock of leaflets, and we will make sure that they haven't 'walked' or got put away somewhere where they weren't found. Thanks for the review, very helpful! Wendy & Hugh
Pay online via the Holiday Lettings payment platform with your credit/debit card or your PayPal account to be covered by Payment Protection. Learn more
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Based in United Kingdom
- 286 properties
- 245 properties
- 76 properties
- 69 properties
- 59 properties
- 53 properties
- Kirkby Lonsdale
- 40 properties
- 37 properties
- 33 properties
- 33 properties
- 25 properties
- 20 properties
- 20 properties
- 12 properties
- 10 properties
- Eden Valley
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties