About the home
An exceptional location at the top of historic Burrington Combe in the heart of the Mendip Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with the most stunning views across the Severn Estuary to Wales. Set in delightful gardens overlooking open meadows and woodland, in a tranquil & peaceful hamlet just outside the delightful village of Blagdon with it's world famous trout fishing lake, numerous walks and friendly country pubs. Blagdon is also home to organic dairy producers Yeo Valley, and the owner's stunning Holt Farm Organic Gardens & tea shop, open to the public. We also have the most fabulous vintage shop with cafe, super village post office stores, beauty salon and traditional family butcher.
Blagdon is close to the heritage cities of Wells with the beautiful Cathedral & Bishop's Palace, Cheddar Caves, Brean beach, Clevedon, and Bath with the world famous Roman Baths. The attractions of Glastonbury Tor and the Wye Valley & Tintern Abbey in South Wales are just a little further, and many of the delights of Devon are also an easy day trip from here. An ideal location to explore the West Country, if you can drag yourself away from the fabulous views, evening sunsets from the patio, with a glass of wine and BBQ....
Hen and birthday weekends are perfect in this pretty cottage. We have a local minibus service to Bath, and lots of fun activities from cupcake baking to making your own vintage accessories and beauty products.
HOT TUB IN 2012
|Size:||Sleeps up to 16, 6 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach:||Weston Super Mare, 19km|
|Will consider:||Corporate lets|
Hen and stag parties
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Suitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||No pets allowed|
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Jacuzzi / Hot tub, DVD player, Sea view|
|General:||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Wi-fi available|
|Standard:||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities:||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||6 Bedrooms, 4 bathrooms of which 2 family bathrooms, 1 en suite and 1 shower room|
|Furniture:||Sofabeds (1), Single beds (6), Double beds (4), Dining seating for 14, Lounge seating for 14|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
|Outdoors:||Balcony / Terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
Further details indoors:
Well-equipped and furnished to high standard
Quality, comfortable beds & lounge furniture
Fresh, pretty linens and towels
Fitted kitchen with solid oak worktops
Double glazing & central heating throughout
Lovely sunny rooms
Beautiful old character cottage fully renovated and extended with all modern conveniences
Lots of activities available on site and nearby from wild food forays to bushcraft activities to pasta making!
Further details outdoors:
Superb, large patio with BBQ and garden furniture
Fabulous uninterrupted views from pretty gardens, overlooking meadows, woodland and views across the Severn Estuary to Wales
Shady spots to sit and read a book or just relax
Lovely old trees including an ancient cider apple tree with lovely blossom, Maple, Cherry, Yew, etc
Hot tub in enclosed area
New - ground floor bedroom with en-suite shower room
Wild food walks, courses & activities
Advice can be provided on holiday itineraries
Also available for long weekends
We specialise in luxury hen weekends
On-site beauty treatments, shiatsu and catering if required
Please note there is a downstairs bedroom which may be suitable for some elderly persons. The upstairs is unsuitable for the elderly or those with restricted mobility due to steep stairs.
The West Country / Somerset region
The cottage is within easy reach of some of the West Country's best attractions:
- We are situated in the very heart of the Mendip Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with the most wonderful walking and historical sites right on the doorstep including the site where the hymn 'Rock of Ages' was written; signs of the earliest human habitation in the country including Neolithic Henge Monuments, Bronze Age Round Barrows and a massive Iron Age Hill Fort
- Wells is England's smallest City and a great place to visit - the Cathedral is justifiably renowned for the most wonderful medieval statuary, and the Bishop's Palace is well worth a visit. Wells has a lovely cobbled centre with a market held on most Saturday and Weds mornings, and we would also recommend visiting the Milton Lodge Gardens just outside Wells which are quintessentially English and very pretty, owned by a quirky old English family
- Bath - the heritage city of Bath is a must-see if you visit the West country. Less than half an hour's drive from the cottage, it is home to some of the most lovely Georgian architecture, the Roman Baths and much more.
- Cheddar - both Cheddar and Wookey caves are a stone's throw from Ashcroft and are an exciting and intriguing attraction for both adults and children
- Glastonbury - the amazing Glastonbury Tor & Abbey are not to be missed, and the Chalice Well Gardens are a haven of tranquility where you can drink from the Holy Well itself!
- Street offers Clark's Village which is a mecca for shopaholics and bargain hunters. Not to be missed!
- We highly recommend a short trip over the bridge to Wales to visit the stunning Wye Valley, and an essential tour around the ruined and beautiful Tintern Abbey
- There are numerous garden centres including Cadbury Garden Centre, Blagdon Water Gardens, and the Garden Superstore at Brean.
- Beaches and seaside attractions are available at both Weston Super Mare and Brean, not far away!
- The Somerset Levels and Moors, together with Chew Valley Lake offer outstanding bird-watching opportunities as well as just lovely walks and countryside
- On the doorstep are lots of sporting activities such as golf, mountain biking, horse riding, etc, we are very happy to advise you on these areas or book activities for you
The Wells area
This particular part of the West Country has outstanding variety in what is available. Families with children have plenty to see and do, with seaside venues and visitor attractions. Equally, couples can enjoy sophisticated nightlife and acclaimed dining very close by along with lovely walks and outdoor activities.
There is a fantastic ski slope nearby, horse-riding, golf & fishing within short drive.
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
Easy access from Bristol, Bath & Weston Super Mare (mainline railway stations from London) and just 10-15 minutes drive from Bristol International Airport (although not so close to be disturbed by aircraft! Very quiet location but straightforward access and easy route with clear signage from M5 and M4 motorways. From Bristol Airport, take the A38 south, at Churchill take the A368 towards Blagdon, then turn right into the B3134 and travel up the beautiful and historic Burrington Combe. Detailed directions provided on booking.
Activities near Wells
Tennis in town
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
10 Mar 2013
Owner could not have been more helpful. Cottage direction were brill and they even got on the phone and helped get one of our relatives safely to the cottage. Great size lounge, fab to have a table that we could all sit round and eat at for breakfast and evening meal
Bedrooms were a good size and there were enough bathrooms so there was no waiting.
The downstairs bedroom was ideal for my mother as she has walking problems ans ease of access for her to the lounge and dining area was great.
We all had a great time and would love to go when we could use the outdoor area, although the hottub was a nice way to end a day of shopping for some,
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 16|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|2013 xmas & new year||20 Dec 12||11 Jan 13||£ 1995||-||-||1 Week|
|2013 off peak||11 Jan 13||1 Mar 13||£ 1695||£ 295||£ 595||2 Nights|
|2013 peak||1 Mar 13||1 Oct 13||£ 1795||£ 345||£ 795||2 Nights|
The property's weekend rates apply to: Friday and Saturday nights
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
Please note the pricing indicated is restricted by this web site. Weekday/weekend rates above are indicative (not fixed) RATES FROM £795 PER NIGHT, THIS IS A ONE NIGHT PRICE, NOT THE WHOLE WEEKEND. Prices vary according to group size, & composition of adults/children. Standard occupancy is up to 14, and 16 is the maximum occupancy. We tend to charge more for hen weekends, please contact us for a quote.
Special prices & packages for hen weekends, activity weekends (including wild food, bushcraft, outdoor pursuits, craft & baking classes, etc), catered weekends, etc.
Please contact us for a firm quote for this fantastic cottage, we look forward to hearing from you.Enquire now
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Contact the owner
* Required fields
Please check the following errors:
6 years listed
You are contacting
The owner is based in the United Kingdom and has advertised with Holiday Lettings since 2007. This cottage has received 1 review from previous guests.
Verified property owner
This owner has been verified by our team
Payment for this home can be made directly to the owner.
Holiday homes in England (22,228)