The Old Beams
About the home
See a review of The Old Beams from “The Times”: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/holiday_type/family/article3264016.ece
Old Beams is located on the southern edge of the Peak District, offering a perfect base for those wishing to avoid the busier central Peak District, with easy access from both the M1 and the M6. Perfect for larger groups, it boasts all modern conveniences within a period property, offering separate relaxation spaces for adults and kids, or communal spaces large enough to accommodate both. For entertainment, there is a large flat screen tv in the lounge with full Sky+ HD, there are additional tvs in the kitchen, snug and every bedroom with Freesat digital channels. We also have a selection of board games, including Trivia Pursuits, Scene It, Cranium, jigsaw puzzles, murder mystery dinner party, Trivia Pursuits for kids...
In additional to the period style of the property, featuring old beams and open fireplaces, it also boasts three en-suite double bedrooms and a massive conservatory dining room plus a large lawned garden with bbq facilities and water features. For activities, Old Beams is on the doorstep of the cycle trails of the Manifold Valley, minutes from beautiful ramblers paths and within 5 miles of Alton Towers.
Centrally located between Derby and The Potteries, there are a wealth of additional attractions including china factory tours, craft areas, shops and museums, as well as the Waterworld swimming pool, indoor skiing and bowling. The great houses of Shugborough Hall, Little Moreton Hall and Chatsworth all lie within easy reach, and golf and riding are available nearby.
There are two dining pubs, a village shop, a take away cafe and a post office within a 5 minute walk and numerous additional pubs within a short drive. There is also a swimming pool at the local school in the village which can be booked for private parties. Please contact me directly if you would like to check rates and availability.Sainsbury's and Morrisons are both within 7 miles. Grocery deliveries can also be arranged from www.Tesco.com and www.asda.com.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 12, 6 bedrooms|
|Will consider:||Corporate lets|
Hen and stag parties
Nearest amenities: 300m
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Suitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||No pets allowed|
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General:||Central heating, TV, Telephone, Satellite TV, Wi-fi available|
|Utilities:||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer|
|Rooms:||6 Bedrooms, 5 bathrooms of which 1 family bathroom, 3 en suites and 1 shower room|
|Furniture:||Single beds (4), Double beds (4), Cots (1), Dining seating for 12, Lounge seating for 12|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
|Outdoors:||Private garden, BBQ, Climbing frame, Swing set|
Further details indoors:
* Original oak beamed ceilings
* Open double-sided fireplace
* Two tv rooms with dvd players (main lounge with 42" lcd widescreen tv) and independent Sky tv plus study area with wi-fi internet access
* Full Sky HD tv in main lounge
* Massive dining-conservatory
* Well stocked kitchen-diner with tv connected to Freesat
* Ground floor double bedroom with adjoining shower/bathroom with steam-box shower
* Master bedroom with super kingsize bed, open fireplace and en-suite with steam-box shower
* Second en suite with kingsize bed
* Third en suite with twin beds
* Fourth and fifth bedrooms (1 x double and 1 x twin) share a bathroom with over-bath shower
* All bedrooms with tvs
* High standard of decoration and furnishing
* One cot bed and baby highchair included in rental rates
* Stair gate available if required
Further details outdoors:
* Off-road car parking for 6-8 vehicles
* Considerable lawned garden area with night lighting
* Secret garden with paved area
* Beautiful water-feature ornamental pond with fish (secured with internal grid)
* 6 seater plus 4 seater outside dining
* Two 3-person garden swings
* Children's climbing frame/slide
* Gas bbq facilities
* The main staircase is quite steep, so not recommended for those with walking difficulties
* The new ground floor bedroom can, however, accommodate those with walking difficulties more easily
* Parents with young children must be cautious around the ponds and accept liability for the safety of the children - despite the recently added safety grid within the pond.
* Strictly no-smoking inside the property - and we would appreciate any cigarette ends to be disposed of properly in the outside bins
* 50% of the rental fee is due to confirm any reservation - non-refundable in event of non-arrival (unless we are able to relet the property over the pre-booked dates).
* Remaining 50% due 6 weeks before the start of the rental.
* Recycling of rubbish is compulsory in the local area and separate bins are provided at the property
The Heart of England / Peak District / Peak District/Derbyshire region
The Peak District National Park is the first national park in the heart of England, and is the second most visited national park in the world. It consists of over 500 square miles of bustling market towns, impressive stately homes and country houses and breathtaking landscapes with craggy peaks, gentle valleys and unspoilt villages. With an abundance of cultural and historical heritage, there's always lots to discover.
The stunning and diverse scenery of the Peak District makes it a paradise for walking, family cycling, mountain biking and adventure sports such as caving, rock-climbing, hang-gliding and paragliding, but there's also plenty to do for those with a more relaxed approach to nature and the great outdoors!
For a more detailed list of the wide range of activities available in the Peak District, see:
The Waterhouses area
Waterhouses is the largest village on the southern edge of the Peak, and the most substantial settlement in the Hamps valley. The village centre is where the Leek to Ashbourne road, the A523, crosses the Hamps and the road to Cauldon turns off south. There are rows of cottages clustered around this junction and a pub, The Crown Inn, on the corner. Just above here is the old station, once the terminus of the Manifold and Hamps Light Railway, and the remaining station buildings have been restored by the Peak Park and converted into an information and cycle hire centre. There is one other noteable pub in the village, the George Inn. There is a local village shop, a post office and a butchers within the village.
A kilometre and a half away to the north is the small farming hamlet of Waterfall. This is a pretty little village with a quaint inn, the Red Lion, and a fine late Georgian church. It gains its name from the fact that the Hamps disappears underground not far away. (http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/towns/waterhouses.php).
There are numerous walks within a few miles of the property. See: http://www.walkingworld.com/results/walkresults.asp?type=typedref&txtgridref=SK080504
Nearby places of interest include:
Dovedale and Thorpe Cloud (http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/dovedale.php):
Ilam Church and Hall (www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/ilamch.php);
Ilam Hall and Park (www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/ilamhall.php);
the Manifold and Hamps Trail (www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/manifoldtrail.php);
Thor's Cave (www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/thorscave.php);
Alton Towers (www.altontowers.com)
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
- The Old Beams is located in Waterhouses, on the southern edge of the Peak District.
- Equidistant from Stoke-on-Trent and Derby
- Easy access from both the M1 and the M6
- Less than one hour drive from Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield
Activities near Waterhouses
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
04 Jun 2012
A group of 12 stayed at Old Beams for a long weekend, we walked, cycled and had quality time together. Our group was mainly runners (or ex runner in my case) from our athletics club, who meet up a few times a year. We have not stayed at this house before, but had a fab weekend.
The house is very old and I believe is Grade II listed. Although the house was cold when we arrived, we were told the heating was on constant! Although the rooms are very clean, the wiring is a bit doggy in places, extension cables everywhere and should be rewired especiallly for families travelling with children lights were not working in one of the rooms. We had a few BBQ's although the weather was not too warm, and would take a few warmer clothes if staying here in May, can't guarantee if the heating will work, although the log fire was very welcoming. The location was fantastic as it wasn't far from the Tissington Trail and would certainly cycle this again, although the goats that attacked my hubbies bike were a bit of a laugh.
Thanks for the review.
Just to re-clarify what I mentioned in my follow-up email - the heating was on timer, the hot water was on constant. The thermostat is set to 20 degrees. If guests require constant heating they can request this on arrival and will be billed accordingly. The boiler and system is only 3 years old and is serviced annually, most recently in December 2011.
There are in total 4 extension cables in the whole house - covering a total of 15 living and sleeping spaces, excluding bathrooms! These are recommended for surge protection purposes, as in any property.
Unfortunately, fuses do blow, as do bulbs in any house. The house was entirely rewired after we purchased it, 4 years ago. We had an electric safety certification completed only a week before your arrival, although this is not something required by law for self-catering accommodation, I do take the safety of our clients very seriously. The certificate stated the electrics in the house were all safe and complied with current standards. The blip with the fuses in the conservatory has now been resolved, and I wouldn't want future guests to have the impression that there is a long standing problem!
18 May 2012
Old Beams is a great property.
Our stay was for a few days and we used Old Beams as a base for a cycling weekend around the Peak District.
Dealing with the owner was a pleasant experience and all questions about the booking, property and area were responded to promptly and in detail. We were given a really detailed fact sheet a week or so before our stay and that answered all the questions we had and proved a useful reference.
The property itself is traditional and has been well looked after. It has pretty much all the mod cons you could need (although a washing machine would have been handy to save us hand washing our sweaty lycra!). It is really spacious and will comfortably take a dozen people.
Anyway, overall a spacious traditional property in a stunning location. Would definitely stay there again.
Thanks for the review - I am so glad you enjoyed the house.
We have recently installed a washing machine and dryer for guest use, and I will make sure it is highlighted in the literature for future guests.
01 Dec 2011
We booked this as a family get away for 12. It was so nice for us all to sit at the table together as well as being able to relax by the open fire in the evening, playing board games (all provided) and relaxing.
Everything was provided for all our needs, even to cook a wonderful roast meal for 12!
We shall certainly be recommending this to our friends and returning for a future visits.
Thanks for the review! We are glad you had a lovely stay, and look forward to welcoming you and/or your friends in the future!
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 12|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|Christmas & New Year||21 Dec 12||7 Jan 13||£ 4000||£ 700||£ 700||4 Nights|
|Winter||7 Jan 13||8 Feb 13||£ 1550||£ 220||£ 320||3 Nights|
|Half Term||8 Feb 13||25 Feb 13||£ 1850||£ 270||£ 370||3 Nights|
|Winter||25 Feb 13||29 Mar 13||£ 1550||£ 220||£ 320||3 Nights|
|Easter||29 Mar 13||15 Apr 13||£ 1850||£ 270||£ 370||3 Nights|
|Spring||15 Apr 13||3 May 13||£ 1700||£ 240||£ 340||3 Nights|
|Bank Holiday||3 May 13||6 May 13||£ 1700||£ 250||£ 370||3 Nights|
|Spring||6 May 13||24 May 13||£ 1700||£ 240||£ 340||3 Nights|
|Half Term||24 May 13||3 Jun 13||£ 1850||£ 270||£ 370||3 Nights|
|Summer Low||3 Jun 13||5 Jul 13||£ 1700||£ 240||£ 340||3 Nights|
|Summer High||5 Jul 13||2 Sep 13||£ 1850||£ 270||£ 370||3 Nights|
|Autumn||2 Sep 13||25 Oct 13||£ 1700||£ 240||£ 340||3 Nights|
|Half Term||25 Oct 13||4 Nov 13||£ 1850||£ 270||£ 370||3 Nights|
|Winter||4 Nov 13||20 Dec 13||£ 1550||£ 220||£ 320||3 Nights|
|Christmas & New Year||20 Dec 13||6 Jan 14||£ 4000||£ 720||£ 720||4 Nights|
The property's weekend rates apply to: Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
* Stays of less than 7 nights are subject to an additional charge of 120GBP.
* Easter and Half-Term holidays and New Year are subject to a minimum 1 week booking. There is sometimes some flexibility on this, so please inquire.
* Bank holiday rates charged same as Summer High rates, including Easter Friday, Easter Monday and all bank holiday weekends, New Years Day and related national holidays.
* Cleaning costs pre-arrival and post-departure included.
* High chair and cot included.
* Linen and single set of towels included per rental (2 sets of towels for weekly rental).
* Oil and electricity included (heating on timer).
* Heating available on constant at an additional cost of GBP25 per night.
* 50% of the rental fee is due to confirm any reservation - non-refundable in event of non-arrival (unless we are able to re-let the property over the pre-booked dates).
* Remaining 50% due 6 weeks before the start of the rental.
* Refundable GBP150 cash security deposit required with collection of keys. Normally repayable within two weeks of end of rental pending no breakages but may be up to 4 weeks.
* We can accept payments by bank transfer in GBP or Euros, Paypal by email (requires paypal account) or Paypal via Skype.
* Payments by Paypal are subject to an admin charge to cover related costs.Enquire now
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Contact the owner
* Required fields
Please check the following errors:
5 years listed
You are contacting
The owner is based in the United Kingdom and has advertised with Holiday Lettings since 2008. This house has received 6 reviews from previous guests.
Verified property owner
This owner has been verified by our team
Payment for this home can be made directly to the owner.
Holiday accommodation in England (21,188)