Log cabin | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 42
This is a great location for groups and family reunions. There are 3 six berth cabins and 6 four berth cabins with their own fully fitted open plan kitchen/living area. The bedrooms are light and comfortable with 3 twin rooms which share a bathroom. Each cabin has comfortable sofas, dining table and chairs and TV.
Outside there is a decked area with table and chairs for those warm summer evenings and lunchtime snacks.
|Size||Sleeps up to 42, 3 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car advised, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Birmingham, Nearest railway: Ashchurch|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||Central heating, TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms of which 10 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (38), Double beds (2), Dining seats for 42, Lounge seats for 42|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, BBQ, Bicycles available, Private fishing lake or river|
|Access||Parking, Wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
All properties are STRICTLY NON-SMOKING and are tastefully decorated. The cabins are cosy but light and spacious enough for nights in playing card games or watching TV after a hard days cyling or riding.
|Further details outdoors|
Each cabin has a decked sun terrace with dining table and chairs and space for a BBQ if you care to cook outdoors.
All properties are strictly NON-SMOKING.
Rental changeover day in Spring and Summer is Saturday only.
Weekend and nightly bookings sometimes available during off peak dates.
Large groups welcomed. There are 54 bed spaces in 3 six berth cabins, 6 4 berth cabins and 6 twin rooms !!!
Ideal for Hen and Stag weekends, school groups, company team building events, family reunions.
The Central England/Cotswolds region
Tewkesbury is situated on the border of Gloucestershire and Worcestershire and easily reached by road. It is of great historical interest.
Twyning is a few miles north of Tewkesbury on the A38, very near the M50, giving easy access to Ross on Wye and beyond. Twyning has a village green, pub by the river and a couple of shops.
Tewkesbury holds a unique position of being on the edge of the Cotswolds but also forms part of the Severn Vale with the river Severn meeting the river Avon at the town. Tewkesbury has one of the best medieval streetscapes in the country and this can easily be seen at every turn.
Tewkesbury was the site of the Battle of Tewkesbury on 4 May 1471. At the “Bloody Meadow,” south of the town, Edward IV's Yorkist forces defeated the House of Lancaster in a historic battle of the Wars of the Roses with a bloody aftermath. Tewkesbury was incorporated during the reign of Elizabeth I.
Like many towns in the west of England, Tewkesbury played an important part in the development of religious dissent. English Dissenters in Tewkesbury contributed to the Monmouth Rebellion of 1685, and Samuel Jones ran an important academy for dissenters, whose students included Samuel Chandler, future archbishop Thomas Secker and Joseph Butler, in the early 18th century.
Historically, Tewkesbury is a market town, serving the local rural area. It underwent some expansion in the period following World War II. Tewkesbury has also been a centre for flour milling for many centuries, and the water mill, the older Abbey Mill still stands though it has now been converted for residential use. Until recently flour was still milled at a more modern mill a short way upriver on the site of the town quay; parts of the mill dated to 1865 when it was built for Healings and it was once thought to be the largest and most modern flour mill in the world. The Mill has, in the course of its history, had three forms of transport in and out: road, railway, and canal and river barge. Whilst the railway line was brought up along with the rest of the Tewkesbury to Upton-upon-Severn railway line (originally running to Malvern) in 1961, the two barges "Chaceley" and "Tirley" remained in service right up to 1998 transporting grain from Avonmouth and Sharpness to the plant. However, the mill closed in November 2006, ending at least 800 years of milling in Tewkesbury and 140 years of milling on that particular site. The two barges were also sold and left Tewkesbury for the last time in March 2007.
The town also hosts a large Armed forces vehicle supply and maintenance depot at nearby Ashchurch. During the early 1990s, several local shops and businesses closed, including the town's Roses Theatre; the latter re-opened in 1996.
The Tewkesbury War Memorial, locally known as the CrossThe town features many notable Tudor buildings, but its major claim to fame is Tewkesbury Abbey, a fine Norman Abbey, originally part of a monastery, which was saved from the Dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII after being bought by the townspeople for £453 to use as their parish church. Most of the monastery buildings, as well as the vineyards, were destroyed during this time. The Abbey Mill however still remains, resting upon the Mill Avon, a channel built by the monks. The weir exists to this day, and the channel represents one of the biggest projects in Tewkesbury's history, though the present sluice gate dates only from the 1990s, replacing two installed in the 1930s. The Abbey Mill is also sometimes known as "Abel Fletcher's Mill", but this is simply the name given to it in Dinah Craik's novel John Halifax, Gentleman, whose setting Norton Bury is based on Tewkesbury (see the Tewkesbury in Literature section below).
The Abbey is also thought to be the site of the place where the hermit "Theoc" once lived. The great Romanesque arch on the west front is particularly striking, and the stained glass window at this end has recently been restored. The monastery was founded by the Despensers as a family mausoleum, and the Despenser and Neville tombs are stunning examples of small-scale late medieval stonework. The tower is believed to be the largest Norman tower still in existence (though that at Norwich Cathedral is another strong contender). The tower once had a wooden spire which may have taken the total height of the building to as much as 260 feet (79 m), but this was unfortunately blown off in a heavy storm on Easter Monday 1559; the present pinnacles and battlements were added in 1600 to give the tower a more "finished" look. The height to the top of the pinnacles is 148 feet (45 m). The Abbey is thought to be the third largest church in Britain that is not a cathedral (after Westminster Abbey and Beverley Minster). From end to end it measures 312 feet (95 m), though prior to the destruction of the original Lady Chapel (also at the time of the dissolution), the Abbey's total length was 375 feet (114 m). The Abbey is a parish church, still used for daily services, and is believed to be the second-largest parish church in England, again, after Beverley Minster.
The Royal Hop Pole, mentioned in 'The Pickwick papers'Tewkesbury claims Gloucestershire's oldest public house, the Black Bear, dating from 1308. Other notable buildings are the Royal Hop Pole Hotel in Church Street (which has recently been converted into a part of the Wetherspoons pub chain with the discovery of a former medieval banqueting hall in the structure), mentioned in Charles Dickens' The Pickwick Papers, the Bell Hotel, a large half-timbered structure opposite the Abbey gateway, and the House of the Nodding Gables in the High Street. The historic Abbey Cottages, over 500 years old, were rescued from dereliction in the 1970s; one houses a museum, the others are residential homes and commercial offices. At the Tudor House Hotel in the High Street however, although it is indeed chiefly a Tudor building, the frontage comprises artificial half-timbering attached to a brick-built facade. The local branch of Store Twenty-One (formerly Marks & Spencer and before that Iceland) was once the location of the Swan Hotel, where a balcony still is today and from which local election results were announced.
Also notable to the town's architecture is the Old Baptist Chapel (on Church Street) built in about 1655, as one of the earliest examples from that denomination, behind the chapel is a small cemetery of those who were members of the chapel.
Just to the west of the town is Thomas Telford's impressive Mythe Bridge over the River Severn, a cast-iron structure with a 170-foot span, opened in 1826. Tewkesbury's other notable bridge is the stone-built King John's Bridge over the Avon, commissioned by King John in the late 12th century as part of improvements to the main road from Gloucester to Worcester. Original stonework can still be seen on its north side; the bridge was considerably widened in the mid- to -late 1950's to meet modern traffic requirements.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
You're booking with
Elizabeth Coe (Property Manager Elizabeth Cole)
- 4 Years listed
Based in United Kingdom
- 107 properties
- Chipping Campden
- 63 properties
- 61 properties
- 46 properties
- Ross on Wye
- 44 properties
- Stow on the Wold
- 44 properties
- 29 properties
- Bourton on the Water
- 29 properties
- 23 properties
- 20 properties
- 20 properties
- 18 properties
- 17 properties
- 14 properties
- Clifton on Teme
- 9 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties