Provence hilltop - Villa Romantique- private pool
from £193 /night help
Availability Your dates are available
Villa | 6 bedrooms | sleeps 12
Provence hilltop villa with private pool. As perfect for 2 people as it is for a party of 12 people, Villa Romantique with it's private Roman arena-style pool basks in the sunshine and the very special light of this Provence/Languedoc region and is set in a delightful mature, walled garden amidst the intoxicating fragrances of oleander, wisteria and lavender and among pine, olive and palm trees. Highly recommended.
Just 1 mile from the historic twin towns of Beaucaire and Tarascon, you are very centrally located in the golden circle created by beautiful Avignon, St Remy de Provence, Arles, Nimes and the Pont du Gard, and conveniently no more than 12 miles (20 kms) from each and yet only about 45 minutes drive to the Mediterranean.
|Size||Sleeps up to 12, 6 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||St Maries de la Mer 40 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Marseilles, Montpellier or Nimes 25 km, Nearest railway: Avignon 20 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Some pets are welcome - please contact the owner, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player|
|Pool||Private outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Safe, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 3 Shower rooms, Solarium or roof terrace|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (8), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seats for 12, Lounge seats for 12|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Further details indoors|
Our villa in Provence has been completely renovated with immense style and an abundance of love and care to provide very appealing, elegant and welcoming accommodation. It combines great charm, many original Provençal features and pretty and decorative touches, with modern-day comforts. Important characteristics for holiday villas in Provence.
There are very few villas in Provence which give you such spacious living accommodation. Our villa in Provence has accommodation which comprises: 3 large living rooms, 6 twin/double bedrooms and 4 bath/shower rooms and 4 toilet/wcs.
• Impressive flag-stone Entrance Hall/Sitting Room, 33 ft x 14 ft (10 m x 4.25 m) with large stone feature fireplace. Double doors leading to
• Baronial-style Dining Room for 2 to 12 with white washed beams. This room goes through to a
• Circular Lounge with white washed beams and massive Provençal stone fireplace, giving a room 38 ft x 16 ft (12 m x 5 m) in total. There is French TV (6 channels), Satellite TV (English BBC channels, etc.), DVD player, CD/Radio/Cassette player
• The villa has Wi-Fi enabled ADSL, and this is free to all visitors should you wish to bring your lap-top computer with you
• Large comprehensively equipped Kitchen (twin sinks, 4-ring gas hob, electric oven with automatic timer, microwave, dishwasher, large fridge and freezer, electric kettle, toaster, cafetière, blender etc.) 15 ft x 11 ft 6" (4.5 m x 3.5 m). A charming feature is the original and beautifully decorated antique oven (no longer in use !)
• 6 Bedrooms - all are doubles and/or twins
No. 1: very large main bedroom 22 ft x 11 ft 6" (6.6 m x 3.5 m) with super-king-size bed which can be divided to make twin - 3 ft 3" wide beds (1 m) if preferred
No. 2: spacious circular double bedroom 18 ft in diameter (5.5 m) with four poster double bed
Nos. 3 & 4: 2 bedrooms (both doubles which can be divided to make twins if preferred) with traditional Provençal sloping ceilings and low beams
Nos. 5 & 6: 2 ground-floor bedrooms (1 double and 1 double which can be divided to make twins if preferred).
[The 2 ground-floor bedrooms share their own large ground-floor 'blue' bathroom with twin wash hand basins, large corner bath with shower facility, and a separate toilet]. You can see floor plans of the villa on our own website. Please call Tony on 07836 291791 ( if calling from outside the UK dial +44 7836 291791) for our own website address dedicated exclusively to the villa, pool and surroundings.
• 4 Bath/Shower rooms (all newly fitted)
• 4 Toilets (all newly fitted) Shower/washroom/toilet No. 3 on the first floor has a sloping ceiling
• Laundry room ( washing machine, ironing board and iron )
|Further details outdoors|
• Circular Roof Terrace (accessed by internal staircase up from 1st floor landing) with truly spectacular panoramic views
• Large raised ground-floor Terrace looking over the garden and the landscape, perfect for relaxing and dining, with seating for 12 or more, around an inviting old farmhouse table 11 ft 6" long (3.5 m) - an excellent setting for long lazy lunches and those dinners that go on late into the warm nights and filled with enjoyable conversation
• Beautiful circular Swimming Pool built in the style of a Roman colonnaded arena - and charmingly illuminated at night for that enchanting midnight dip. The pool is over 26 feet ( 8 metres ) in diameter giving a surface area of 550 sq. feet ( over 50 sq. metres ) with semi-circular steps down into the pool for easy entry and exit. The entire pool area is secured by a child-proof gate.
• Poolside Sunbathing Terrace with sun loungers, drinks trolley etc.
• Shaded Poolside Lounge - a perfect relaxing and reading area furnished with a big comfy sofa, matching arm chairs, drinks/magazine table and CD/Radio/Cassette player
• Fully fitted poolside Summer Kitchen, with 4-ring gas hob, twin sinks, full-size cool drinks fridge & ice cabinet and stone table for al fresco poolside meals
• Traditional stone-built poolside Barbecue with stone chimney and serving area
• Ornamental Pond Garden with a picturesque pond, dry-stone grotto and little bridge( very young children would need to be supervised) and with a further stone table for dining under the trees.
• The villa is set in a mature garden of 1850 sq. metres (approximately 20,000 sq. feet) in the natural style of the region with low ornamental dry-stone walls. A wealth of shrubs & trees provide natural shade and tranquility in the heat of the summer, and throughout the year you will enjoy the relaxing setting of all the different outdoor areas with plenty of space to find your own sunny or shady area as you desire
>The property is accessed via high gates which are electronically-controlled and the property is protected by a high wall that encircles the garden, thus giving a feeling of total privacy and seclusion, without being isolated. You do not overlook any other houses, nor do any houses overlook you.
• Parking for 5 or 6 cars with covered shaded parking for 2
• Boules area for playing the traditional and absorbing French game of Petanque (boules provided)
• Central Heating for the cooler winter nights (if you should ever need it)
Villa Romantique is bright and airy, painted white throughout and furnished in a charming & colourful antique Provençal style. It faces south and enjoys the full benefit of the quality of light and the delicious warmth for which this region is justly renowned all year round.
Please call Tony direct on 07836 291791 ( if calling from outside the UK dial +44 7836 291791) . You can click on the link to go direct to our own website which is devoted exclusively to our villa, pool and the surroundings.
There are no electricity, gas or water charges, local charges or local taxes to pay.
There are no 'end of stay' cleaning charges (subject to the villa being left reasonably clean, tidy and hygienic).
Bed linen and towels are provided and changed each week by our caretaker/cleaner. There are no laundry charges to pay.
Our gardener and pool technician will visit from time to time during your stay. Their services are also included.
If you would like to have extra cleaning during your stay, we can usually arrange that at cost for you, on your behalf, with our cleaning lady.
Holidays normally start and finish on a Saturday. Other dates by arrangement – please call - Tony Cremer-Price Tel. 07836 291791
If calling from outside the UK dial +44 7836 291791
Go to our own website www.villaromantique.co.uk where you can see up to 60 photos and floor-plans (so that you will know that the layout of the villa suits the requirements of your party.)
About this location
The Provence region
Villa Romantique is just 1 mile (1.5 km) out of the historic medieval twin towns of Beaucaire and Tarascon. Beaucaire has an imposing 12th century ruined castle perched high on a rock overlooking the majestic river Rhône. There is a delightful river marina crammed with colourful boats of all shapes and sizes which is bordered with restaurants and bars full of character. Alongside the marina the square is shaded by the typical spreading plane trees (platanes) so loved in village and town squares throughout this region.
Beaucaire was such an important market place in France throughout the Middle Ages that prices struck here for commodities such as wine and cheese, metals and timber, fruit and meat, leather and silk, pots and pans became the norm throughout France. Its Medieval Fairs attracted buyers and sellers from all over Europe and Asia and there are countless ancient buildings which bear witness to Beaucaire's great past. The town is steeped in history and still today there are regular markets, fairs, festivals and celebrations commemorating bygone days and traditions.
Beaucaire looks across the Rhône to its equally lovely neighbour Tarascon with the marvellous Good King Rene's castle, one of the best preserved medieval fortresses in the whole of France; its partly fortified old town, the 17th century Town Hall and grand 19th century theatre - originally a 16th century abbey.
Fascinating places to visit
Villa Romantique is ideally placed for visiting all of central and western (Roman) Provence, the Luberon, the Camargue, the Gard region of Languedoc-Rousillon and the uncrowded part of the Mediterranean.
While at our holiday villa in Provence, you should try to give yourselves enough time here to experience just a few of the wonderful sites in this fascinating part of the South of France.
I list some suggestions here
• The beautiful walled city of Avignon - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - the medieval city of Popes - the biggest gothic palace in the world and the legendary bridge made famous by the song known to every child 'Sur le Pont, d'Avignon'
• St Remy de Provence and the impressive Greco-Roman archaeological site of Glanum, and the beautiful retreat where Van Gogh spent a prolific year inspired by the luminosity of the light in this region
• 11th century Les Baux de Provence dominating the Provence landscape
• The Roman centre of Arles described by Constantine as 'the little Rome in Gaul' and once the Roman capital for all of Spain, France and Britain. The great obelisk, the theatre, the amphitheatre arena and the Cloisters of St Trophime are not to be missed
• Nimes with its impressive Roman arena. The beautiful Roman 'Jardin Des Fontaines' which it has been said inspired the gardens at Versailles, and the 'Maison Carreé' much like the Parthenon in Athens
• Pont du Gard-a World Heritage Site, the incredible triple height bridge built by the Romans, one of the finest and most grand pieces of architecture antiquity has bequeathed to us. The aqueduct level delivered pure water to the Roman baths and fountains at Nimes for over 200 years
• Uzés, a delightfully restored medieval town, the seat of the Dukes of Uzés (the first Dukes of France ) for over a thousand years with its lovely cathedral with its tall tower unique in France and similar to the Leaning Tower of Pisa
• Aix en Provence, a city of art and culture, home of Cezanne and the city of a hundred fountains
• The Luberon - Gordes, Menerbes, Bonnieux and Roussillon
• Marseille with its picturesque old port and beautiful church high up on the hill overlooking the city (go up on the little 'street train touristique'), the Mediterranean, and the fortress island , Isle d'If - home of Alexander Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo
• Montpelier, elegant and classical, rather like a Paris of the South
• Orange, the great Imperial Roman theatre - yet another UNESCO World Heritage site
• The Camargue - calm and mysterious - try to take a Land Rover safari or a boat trip through the lagoons and waterways
• Aigues-Mortes, a beautifully preserved town completely enclosed by ramparts. The French kingdom's first Mediterranean port and the departure point for the Orient and the Crusades
• St. Maries de la Mer - like Mediterranean seaside resorts were 70 years ago - quiet and gentle with unspoilt and uncrowded beaches
And my suggestions for fascinating and beautiful places for you to enjoy, and all close to our villa in Provence, could go on and on
About the owner
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Very Good 4/5
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
14 Aug 2014
"Perfect family get away for all ages."
What a wonderful holiday we had at Villa Romantique. The house suited our needs perfectly and the location was just right. The children, young and old, had a great time in the pool. The local castles … More
3 Dec 2012
"Large, comfortable villa in ideal location to explore Provence"
Along with another couple and our son we spent two weeks at the villa in November. I have to say at the outset that we had an excellent experience arranging our rental with the villa owner, Tony Crem… More
You're booking with
Tony Cremer-Price (Property Manager Nice Apartments)
- 5 Years listed
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:01 Mar 2015
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted