Apartment | 1 bedrooms | sleeps 6
Roberto's B&B Holiday Home at Campomarino di Maruggia is a private building and offers three recently renovated apartments, with floor space between 37 and 45m2, as well as spacious and private outdoor space.
Each apartment can accommodate 2-6 people, with comfortable and cosy spaces, new modern furnishings, an equipped kitchen with pots, plates, glasses and crockery, air conditioning, sheets, towels and kitchen supplies.
Free parking and Aquedotto Pugliese drinking water.
The building is in a quiet area 400m from the sea, where you can access the free beach as well as the neighbouring beach resort. Campomarino centre is also accessible on foot (400m) and is full of bars, restaurants, local grocery shops and shoppiing, night life and local bars next to the sea.
“Stella Marina” apartment has been entirely renovated, including the bathroom, indoor and outdoor fixtures and furnishings. It has a floor space of 55m2, with 37m2 inside and 18m2 of outdoor space furnished with table and chairs. It can accommodate up to 4 adults and 2 children, and has the following areas: entrance lounge with sofa bed and kitchenette, double bedroom with additional bunk bed, and a bathroom with shower.
|Size||Sleeps up to 6, 1 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Spiaggia Libera e Stabilimento Balneare 400 m|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||300 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Brindisi 58 km, Nearest railway: Taranto 47 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||Air conditioning, TV|
|Utilities||Cooker, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Dining seats for 1|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace|
The Puglia/Molise region
Salento is a very beautiful area, but it's also very large and sometimes a couple of days in summer isn't enough to see all of the best parts. Therefore we have tried to compile a list of top ten unmissable things to see, do and eat.
For anyone who visits this wonderful sea and sun-soaked region, full of flavours, scents and colours, the first thing you must do - even before putting on your bathing suit and sun cream and diving into the sea - is to visit Lecce, the famous capital of Baroque Italy. It's a city of extraordinary beauty that deserves to be visited from top to bottom, also because its small dimensions make it a tourist city that's easily seen on foot or by bike.
Another unmissable activity is a trip through the small towns of the Grecia Salentina, where the historical centres recall a past that's beautifully mixed with the present. Towns such as Melpignano, Corigliano d'Otranto, Martano, Carpignano Salentino and also Calimera, Sternatia or Zollno are small areas that are nonetheless gems of immeasureable artistic and cultural value, given that they still speak an ancient language known as Griko here.
Speaking of the Grecia Salentina and its traditions, here's another essential for your trip. This time it's an event, namely the Notte della Taranta and the related travelling festival before it. Also related is the advice that you take part in a festival of peace: during the summer they are abundant in almost all of the coastal and inland towns of Salento.
Then, for those visiting Salento, it's mandatory to eat “Salentino”: rustici, pasticciotti, ciceri and tria, rape 'nfucate, fish soups and more that must absolutely be tasted in the traditional pubs and trattorias.
Tasting Salento's excellent wine is also an integral part of the “top ten”.
But going back to which places to visit, let's move on to the part about the sea and beaches: Castro and the Zinzulusa caves, Pescoluse, Otranto, Gallipoli, Porto Selvaggio and Torre dell'Orso are some of the more famous places to experience once in Salento.
Another must-see is Santa Maria di Leuca, also known as the Finibus Terrae, the place where ideally the Ionian and Adriatic sea embrace one another, and its lighthouse, which is one of the most important in Italy. For those who want a taste of the entire coast, we suggest a coast to coast trip, where you pass by the Ionian and Adriatic, or vice versa, discovering some of the most beautiful places in our province.
For those who love the sea more than anything else, such as its marine life, then another thing to do is an underwater excursion, perhaps at Porto Cesareo.
Finally, for lovers of reggae music we recommend going to one of the many concerts organised in various parts of Salento, which are always full of good music and good people.
The story of Maruggio: The area of Maruggio has always been inhabited, as shown by the discovery of a neolithic village in the Castigno area and numerous other finds dating back to the Greco-roman period. According to history, Maruggio was founded in a natural depression in the second half of the 10th Century from the remains of the hamlets of Castigno, Olivaro, San Nicolò, Civitecchia, Albano and Roselle which were destroyed by the saracens. Following the joining of these hamlets, Maruggio became the estate of the Cateniano and Marrese family.
It subsequently belonged to Giovanna, of the noble Brindisi family of De Pandis-Caballaro, who gave the territory to her only son Nicola de Pandis (forming part of the Order of the Knights of Malta) who then became the first commendatory of the estate.
The Knights of Malta built a castle with city walls and coastal watchtowers, offering protection against Turkish pirates, and instituted the “Bagliva Chapters”. In addition, the knights of Malta founded the churches of San Giovanni and the Madonna del Verde. During the 17th Century the town expanded outside the walls that protected it, and this area took the name of Borgo or Brulu.
Maruggio remained under the control of the Knights of Malta until 1819, when the commendatory disappeared, and from that very moment, after having been oppressed since the 2nd August 1806, it became a free comune.
Among the most famous religious architecture is:
The “Chiesa Matrice” or “Chiesa Madre”, dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, constructed entirely in carparo over the remains of a Byzantine church (Santa Maria de Nova) in the historical centre.
In the upper part of the facade there is a Baroque style circular window, in the lower part there are decorations with shells and rosettes and in the centre is the coat of arms of the Alliata family. On the walls you can see signs of presence of the Knights of Malta.
A hypogeum crypt has also been incorporated into the church, safeguarding the body of San Costanzo, and a portrayal of the Apparition of the Madonna of Lourdes before Bernadette.
The church of San Giovanni Battista Penitente was built by the Knights of Malta outside the city walls. At the centre of the facade is the coat of arms of the Order of the Knights of Malta, the Carafas and the Palmieris, and was originally made out of three altars. There was originally a hospital near the church which looked after pilgrims and the sick, which then became a hospital for the wounded returning from the Promised Land and those infected by diseases such as cholera. Today the church is no longer used as a place of worship.
The church of Sant'Eligio also dates back to the last decades of the 16th Century; it was built outside the city walls by the Marian confraternity of the SS. Annunziata, founded by the Jesuit missionary Gabriele Mastrilli.
Not long afterward the church of Annunziata was built, with very similar features to the church of Sant'Eligio. The church is decorated with 12 angel heads corresponding to the 12 winds, a tower, a fountain and the sun and the moon which refers to the Litanies.
The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie was built by Friars Minor of the Observance between 1535 and 1575, for this was formerly one of their monasteries. The church consists of a courtyard, at the centre of which is a well covered by a pillar with a statue of Sant'Antonio with the Christ Child. The monastery was suppressed in 1876. It was next opened in 1891 with a small community and until the beginning of the 1900s it was the seat of the novitiate and school of theology and philosophy. It then became a carabinieri station, an elementary school, and today it is the seat of the town hall.
The church of Santa Maria del Tempio, more commonly known as Madonna del Verde, was probably built in 1585 on an existing chapel, and the altar made out of Lecce stone originates from the church of San Giovanni Battista. There are also other votive chapels in the area.
The castle of the Knights of Malta is also important, and also known as the “Palazzo dei Commendatori”, built at the knights' request in 1368. Here you can see the coat of arms of a Grand Master of the era, Hugues Loubenx de Verdalle, and the coat of arms of Commendatory Alliata.
The clock tower was built in 1855, and in 1939, stones were added to transform it into a monument for those who fell during the First World War. The high-relief recreates a crowned helm of laurels and an injured soldier who, supporting himself on a crutch, bows down in front of a young Ballila, while a bronze panel portrays a battle scene. Above a marble gravestone, on the sides of which are two Fascist party emblems, are engraved the names of those who fell during the war. In 1969 another stone was added for those who fell during the Second World War.
In 1473, three watchtowers were built along the coast to warn against attacks by the saracens.
Also in the city there are 15 manor farms and various trulli, slightly different to those in Alberobello. What's more, there are other traditional Salentian structures like paraji, which are characterised by their straw roofs.
On the 13th and 14th July is the Patron Saint's Day of San Giovanni Battista, protector of Maruggio. It's linked to an ancient legend of a violent storm which struck the town, during which the inhabitants trusted in the saint who miraculously made the storm disappear. At the beginning of the 20th Century, San Cristoforo became its co-patron saint. On 21st November is the Festa della Madonna del Verde, to celebrate a popular legend according to which the Madonna healed many people, including children, from favism, which made their necks turn a strange green colour. For this reason she received the nickname of Madonna del Verde. Popular tradition makes this festival coincide with the beginning of winter in Maruggio. The celebration Cosma and Damiano and of Santa Maria Assunta is also special and important.
Other festivals and recurring events are: 13th June, the festival of Sant'Antonio da Padova; 15th August, the festival of Madonna dell'Altomare; 11th November, the festival of San Martino and on 17th November, the festival of Santa Elisabetta d'Ungheria. During the Christmas period, there are successions of nativity scenes in the historical centre, and races between the neighbourhoods of Chiesa and Convento with cornucopia games, from tug of war to sack races to slow bicycle races. What's more, on Christmas Eve, two large pyres are lit which are then blessed: named Fuecu ti Cristu Piccinnu, one is at the front of monastery and the other at the front of the mother church, to await the birth of Baby Jesus.
The comune, in collaboration with Pro Loco and local businesses, organises the “Estate Maruggese” between June and September, with fashion shows, concerts and festivals. The most important event is the “Strada dei Saperi e dei Sapori”, which takes place in the historical centre in August, with exhibitions and degustations of local products made by local businesses; monument visits, jugglers, and pizzica concerts or local bands.
During the winter period the Sagra di San Costanzo is organised, and the “Festa della Musica”, organised in association with ARCI “Paisa” di Maruggio.