other travellers have booked this property online using Holiday Lettings Payments. When you book your rental using Holiday Lettings payments you are covered by Payment Protection
Manor House | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 8
Gothersley Hall is a breath-taking 4 bedroomed Manor House which occupies a wonderful elevated position standing half a mile up a private drive within 6 acres of its own beautiful gardens enjoying spectacular 360 degree vistas of the surrounding countryside. The twitter of birds, the wind in the trees and horses in the fields beyond are all that can be heard in this beautiful oasis.
The property accommodates 8 guests, however due to it's majestic proportions can easily accommodate more. Please let us know your requirements.
Gothersley Hall is centrally located and is ideal for exploring the beauty of country life or just simply relaxing. Set in an area of outstanding natural beauty, completely surrounded by paddocks, bridleways and woodland, it is not uncommon to see deer roaming within the grounds along with a host of other wildlife. The Hall is perfect for romantic getaways, holidaying with family and friends, special occasions, stag and hen party's, outwood bounders, corporate business users, golfers, fishing holidays or simply just to gain complete privacy from the outside world. The property is steeped in luxury, whether you work up a sweat on the all-weather tennis court, watch a film in the Jacuzzi bath big enough for a family of 4, take a walk in the wet room under a metre long rainshower head before drying off under a body dryer, read a book in the well-stocked library, entertain in the large oak paneled dining room, or simply snuggle up next to one of the many open fires. You may not want to step out of the house or grounds for the entirety of your stay.
The property is the ideal holiday retreat for friends or family wishing to escape to a tranquil setting or for those who wish to celebrate a special occasion. Gothersley Hall is located in outdoor pursuit heaven with hiking, running, horse riding, fishing, mountain biking and road cycling a predominant part of local village life. Stourton, Kinver and the surrounding premier rural areas offer a comprehensive range of facilities for shopping and leisure together with easy access to the West Midlands conurbation, the M5, the M42 and the main motorway network. Birmingham City Centre with its plethora of fine dining restaurants and inordinate amount of shops is just 35 mins away, whilst the Cotswolds, Ludlow, Ross-On Wye, Bewdley, Bridgnorth, Bath, Portmerion and Cardiff are also not far for an enjoyable day out.
The property has had some famous owners in the past, and whilst living at the Hall, Roy Wood from Wizzard wrote the number one hit 'I wish it could be Christmas everyday'.
• Maginificent hexagonal oak panelled entrance hall with large stone fireplace and cloaks cupboard integrated into the
• Large cloakroom with sink and separate door to toilet.
• Elegant drawing room with ornate fireplace, 50” plasma tv, and comfortable seating for 12 people.
• Library with open fireplace and French doors to patio and formal garden.
• Oak panelled back hall with sweeping staircase.
• Oak panelled dining room with open fireplace.
• Large kitchen with breakfast table equipped with Oven, hob, fridge, large smeg freezer, dishwasher and microwave.
• Large 30ft squared hallway
• Huge Master bedroom with Super King size four poster bed and en suite.
• Huge bedroom with King size bed and wash hand basin
• Huge bedroom with King Size Bed
• Family bathroom with 42” Plasma TV, Huge Jacuzzi bath, 1 metre long showerhead for wetroom open shower enclosure,
body dryer, Ipod dock. Speakers in ceiling, alternate mood lighting.
• Large Bedroom with double bed and wash hand basin.
Outside: The property benefits from 6 acres of gardens. The large elevated southerly facing seating terrace overlooks beautifully maintained level lawns surrounded by low stone retaining walls and shrubberies. Undulating lawns continue beyond and offer magnificent views to the Clent Hills and surrounding countryside. The garden is mostly encircled by fascinating woodland walks of leafy pines It has an all-weather tennis court screened by clipped yew hedging, a traditional Yurt (BBQ Hut - seats 15) which can be used when the weather isnt so great for the outdoor BBQ and there is ample parking for many cars.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 4 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Jacuzzi or hot tub, Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||Double beds (4), Cots (4), Dining seats for 12, Lounge seats for 12|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, Private tennis court, BBQ|
The Heart of England/Peak District
Situated in the heart of the Peak District, Stourton and its surrounding countryside is a pocket of beauty that is one of Englands best kept secrets. Being an area of outstanding natural beauty, tourists come from far and wide to marvel at the glorious vistas whilst enjoying a multitude of outdoor activities. Kinver is the nearest vilage which has kept its old world charm, and there are houses built into the rock face in the middle of the woods that can be visited at Kinver Edge which people only moved out of in the 60's! Stourton is horse country, and there are probably more horses than houses! The area has a plethora of fantastic country pubs and eateries that are well worth a visit after a hard days rambling or a day on one of the many golf couses. Please view www.thelytteltonarms.co.uk for an example of an eaterie just 10 mins away. (The 2 courses at Enville and the course at The Belfry are 2 of the most prestigious in the country).
As Stourton is so central, being stuck with nothing to do is not an option as it is not far from The Cotswolds, Birmingham, Wales and even London is just an hour and half away making this a perfect place to stay for any occassion at any time of year.
There are lots of things to do if you decide to venture outside of Gothersley Hall. We would recommend:
• The Jinney Ring craft centre (30 minutes)
• The Black Country Living Museum (20 minutes)
• Halfpenny Green Vineyard and craft centre (15 mins)
• Glass blowing quarter and museum (10 mins)
• Cadbury World (30 mins)
• Drayton Manor theme Park (45 mins)
• The Enville Estate (5 mins)
• Go Ape tree top adventure (20 mins)
• The crooked house (15 mins)
• Border Quad Bike Trekking and paintballing (60 mins)
• Shakespeares place of birth – Stratford upon Avon (45 mins)
• Ironbridge Gorge and 10 museums (35 mins)
• West Midland Safari Park (15 mins)
• Warwick Castle (45 mins)
• Think Tank (35 mins)
• Dudley tunnels and caverns canal trust trips (20 mins)
• Canoe and Kayak hire – Beautiful countryside: Ross on Wye to Symmonds Yat – 60 mins
• Birmingham: The Rep theatre, the Hippodrome, the glee comedy club, Symphony Hall, The Jewellery Quarter, The sea life
centre, The chrismas market, The Mailbox, The Cube, Arcadian Centre, Numerous nightclubs and bars. (35 mins).
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
9 Jun 2014
Although only booked in for a short stay, by the end of theree days I was reluctant to leave as it was already beginning to feel like home. Despite its huge size and imposing presence, the Hall is ver… More
6 Jan 2014
"I wish it could be Christmas every day"
We have just had the most amazing family Christmas in such a beautiful, cosy, comfortable setting. It really did feel like Christmas every day, such a lazy week of laying on the huge comfy sofa in a … More
19 Nov 2013
"Felt like we had walked onto a film set!"
driving onto a film set was exactly how we felt as we pulled up to the house! Immediate impact and set the tone for an excellent group weekend The first night was spent BBQ'ing in the yurt which … More
17 Oct 2013
"The best holiday we have ever had to date!"
The moment we pulled through the gate posts, up the long gravel driveway and first caught a glimpse of this majestic property, our breath was taken away, and we didn't get it back again until we … More
4 Oct 2013
"So much potentia but........."
The house and location are stunning.....from a distance! The layout is great with big grand rooms, beautiful chandeliers and a bathroom to die for. The grounds are again fabulous with little ornamen… More
I was shocked and very disappointed to read this review as we work very hard to make sure that all of our guests have a wonderful time, have everything they need and should they require anything, from recommendations on restaurants to doing a bit of washing for them, to let us know immediately. The house and grounds are also constantly maintained so that they are in tip top condition. We have only ever received compliments from guests that have stayed at Gothersley Hall about the house and with regard to our friendliness, approachability and our willingness to make our guests feel as welcome as possible.
Unfortunately this guest has written a negative review because of a particular event.
The guest that wrote this review struggled finding the £500 damage deposit in the first instance and weeks before she even stayed at the hall was very concerned about what it was for and when it would be given back. This guest had sent me a catalogue of emails before her stay in reference to the damage deposit indicating that just herself, her husband and her small dog would be staying for the week and no damage would be caused so could the damage deposit be waived.
An hour after this guest and her husband's arrival, an entourage of eight other undisclosed people arrived including two young boys, which was another attempt at bringing the cost down of her stay. Within a couple of hours of their arrival, I received a text saying that they had been outside and seen a hole in the window. When I came to look at the broken window, the glass had been cleared away. The smashed window had clearly been caused by a ball that I saw one of the young boys with earlier. This guest was so concerned about her damage deposit that she insisted that it must have been there before they came.
We do a thorough clean of the property when guests leave and new ones arrive, and it is not possible that this would have been missed. I also gave a detailed tour of the house to this guest and her husband on arrival, and it would have been seen instantly we entered the room. This guest was insistent that it was not her and was pleading hysterically with me not to take it from her damage deposit. Although the damage was without doubt due to these guests; as this guest was clearly distraught about losing her deposit (in actual fact it cost a lot more than her damage deposit to repair as it is traditional leaded glass) I kindly told her that I knew it was an accident, these things happen and that I would not take it from her damage deposit. This guest was not happy that although I was not going to charge her for the damage caused (by unauthorised guests I might add), I would not accept liability for it. This is clearly the reason for this guest's negative review as this guest became obsessed with trying to get me to accept liability throughout her stay through constant texts, calls and emails.
I do hope that I have established the reason for the one and only guest that has ever given us a negative review. That being said I will go through individually the points that she has raised:
• There is no washing machine in the property as per the website info.
• We ask our guests to bring their own tennis racquets and balls should they wish to play.
• Dead insects on windows may well appear after a week's stay, but certainly do not remain after a professional clean.
• The library door leaded window was very slightly bowed as leaded glass can achieve over time, it had no sharp edges. It most certainly was not dangerous and could be opened and shut with no movement to the glass at all. No-one has ever mentioned this as a problem before. That being said, we have replaced this window as this guest told me she did not feel comfortable opening the door, and we would not want other guests to worry about this.
• There are no loose paving slabs in the garden. This was never pointed out, and children are perfectly safe in the grounds.
• All of the windows open, and can be opened without glass breaking!
• The guest texted me and called me constantly throughout her stay asking for local restaurants etc.. so it is surprising that she would not text me to tell me the heating was too high.
• The story of the mosquitos is again news to me as this was never mentioned, has never happened before, and this guest told me that she had not opened any windows.
• Not only is it our aim to try and make our guests as comfortable as possible, but heating a house of this proportion is an expensive affair, so to insinuate we have left heating on intentionally is simply quite ludicrous.
• There is/was no splinter of wood on the kitchen work top, this was never pointed out to me, and since this review has been read, has never been found.
• Gothersley Hall is a self-catering establishment and as such, we do not provide any consumables.
• The sofas (and indeed all of the furniture) are a few years old and are from contemporary designers on Tottenham Court Road in London.
• Everything was clean when the guest arrived and nothing would have needed to have been washed up again. Again, this is something that was never mentioned.
• The hugely proportionate kitchen has cabinets of traditional oak which match the style of the house. The fridge, double oven, microwave, sink and taps are all a few months old.
• The bedding is not cheap and worn. Again, I was not told of this complaint.
• The guest was told that I would give her deposit back when the incident occurred and it was returned after inspection of the hall on the day of her departure. The fact that she worried all week whether she would get her damage deposit back shows the deceitful nature of herself and is most certainly not a reflection of us.
I do hope that the review from this guest has not put you off staying with us. Gothersley Hall is a remarkable property and many people have had fabulous holidays, weekend breaks, corporate functions and events here.
Unfortunately there will always be unscrupulous people in the world, and we are bound to get our fair share of them. We acted decently and fairly with a dishonourable and deceitful guest and we do hope that you can see through her pettiness and note the difference between her review and others which are very markedly different.
If you do have any concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will endeavour to abate any issues you may have.
I hope to see you soon.
6 Jun 2013
What a fabulous property! The children have nicknamed it Narnia, what with all it's quirky features such as the cuckoo clock, the flock of sheep on one of the lawns, the carved wooden bear, the g… More
22 May 2013
"Lord of the Manor for a day!"
Stayed at Gothersley Hall in Dec12 to celebrate my partners birthday. As we drove up the lane to the hall, I was reminded of the film , Rebecca and joked to my partner....'I remember the first ti… More
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:13 Aug 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- 74 properties
- 60 properties
- 57 properties
- Church Stretton
- 52 properties
- 37 properties
- 33 properties
- 32 properties
- 29 properties
- Craven Arms
- 28 properties
- Clifton on Teme
- 18 properties
- 15 properties
- 12 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- 10 properties
- 9 properties
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties