Tarn House (4* VisitBritain)
from £87 /night help Price for guests, Nights
from £87 /night help Price for guests, Nights
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Excludes fees (if applicable). Enter your dates to see the total cost.
Cottage / 4 bedrooms / sleeps 8
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 4 bedrooms / sleeps 8
Nestled on peaceful Loughrigg Fell, Tarn House is a lovingly restored four-star period property at the gateway to the spectacular Langdale valleys.
Offering cosy, stylish and very well-equipped self-catering accommodation for families and groups of up to eight people, Tarn House mixes traditional features including Victorian tiling and inglenook fireplace with the latest amenities, from large LCD TVs, DVDs and Wi-Fi to supersized soak-baths – and a beautiful garden – to give you a home-from-home holiday at any time of year.
Tarn House forms the private wing of a Victorian gentleman's residence, built at the end of the 19th century. The cottage features two secluded patio areas, parking for up to three cars and a large private fellside garden with extensive views towards the Coniston massif and Langdale Pikes.
- Period Victorian property in a peaceful countryside setting
- Central location within the national park – 5 minutes from Ambleside, 5 minutes from Elterwater, 10 minutes from Coniston, 10 minutes from Hawkshead, 20 minutes from Ullswater
- 4 double bedrooms – sleeping accommodation arranged over two floors each with its own bathroom – ideal for two groups or two generations sharing the house, as well as larger groups and families. Many of our guests are family groups celebrating birthdays.
- …Also ideal for smaller families and groups – you could use just one sleeping floor if you wish, or spread yourselves out!
- Families and children welcome – we have a cot, 2 booster seats (suitable for 6 months-4 yrs old), fireguard, stairgates and a lovely collection of children's books, toys, plastic crockery – even straws!
- Luxury bathrooms with always-hot power-showers and extra-deep Victorian cast-iron baths
- Two towels and all linen provided for each guest
- Large wood-burning stove – with supply of logs and coal
- Pub and restaurant within 1/2 mile walk (and many more within a five minute drive)
- Secluded private fellside garden with far-reaching views; the perfect breakfast spot or take the BBQ out on summer evenings… Our garden is regularly visited by deer, foxes, badgers, owls, bats and dozens of different birds – as well as our resident slow worm. The adjoining field is home to a herd of alpaca
- Luxuriously furnished and equipped with modern appliances (LCD TV, DVD, freesat, WiFi)
- Fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave
- Central heating throughout
- Heating and electrics included in price.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Grange-over-Sands 35 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Manchester 148 km, Nearest railway: Windermere 8 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Telephone, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (4), Single beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ|
About this location
The Lake District
Located in the heart of the English Lake District national park, Tarn House is just two miles from the market town of Ambleside yet also delightfully secluded on the fell-side of Loughrigg and a five minute walk from the peaceful gem of Loughrigg Tarn.
The Lake District is one of the most beautiful regions of the English countryside. From the dramatic fells to the clear lakes, the landscape possesses a charm that has inspired people down the ages, from John Ruskin and Beatrix Potter to William Wordsworth and Alfred Wainwright.
The area is designated as a National Park, helping to ensure the natural wonder of the landscape is carefully preserved and managed for future generations to enjoy.
One of the many benefits of Tarn House is its central location in the Lakes. Situated in Loughrigg, a small group of properties on the side of Loughrigg Fell, extensive walking routes set out direct from the front door, with Loughrigg itself rising up behind the property and the Langdale valleys sweeping away to the west.
- Over Loughrigg to the north – an energetic half-hour walk away – you descend into the vale of Grasmere, historic home to William Wordsworth. A short walk down the valley is picturesque Rydal Water.
- North-West – a 20-minite drive over the Kirkstone Pass (traffic and weather permitting) – is Ullswater, a popular sailing and open-water swimming destination but also the traditional starting point for exploring not only Helvellyn (via Striding Edge) and its rugged neighbours, but also the wilderness of the High Style range, with its shy herds of fell ponies and red deer.
- Southwest takes you to Coniston Water, its steam-powered Gondola doing regular trips to John Ruskin's historic home at Brantwood. From there you gain fantastic views over the Coniston range, dominated by the fells of Wetherlam and Coniston Old Man.
- Running to an altogether gentler pace, the hamlet of Skelwith Bridge is just half-a-mile from the cottage to the west, where the Skelwith Bridge Hotel and Talbot Bar serve good food and ales .
- The bustling market town of Ambleside is just two miles away to the east of the cottage – a five-minute drive or a 20-30 minute fell run if you need to build up an appetite. There you will find a large variety of shops, from hardware stores to bookshops and many specialist outdoor gear shops. Ambleside is also home to plenty of pubs and restaurants, including Italian, Thai, two Indian and two Chinese restaurants, as well as Ziffrellis, the five-screen cinema and jazz venue.
- At the south end of Ambleside – and again, just a five-minute drive from the cottage – is Waterhead, the top-most tip of Lake Windermere and stopping point for the famous Windermere ferries.
- A few miles to the northwest of the cottage, go north or west to visit either of the Langdale valleys, encompassing some of England's most breathtaking scenery as well as the Three Shires Inn, Britannia Inn and Wainwrights pub.
About the owner
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
5 Jan 2015
"Amazing New Year"
this property is fantastic, spacious yet cosy, we saw the new Year in with our family and friends. It is a great location with great walks from the property and the famous Chesters cake shop a walk a… More
16 Dec 2014
We stayed at Tarnhouse this weekend and couldn't go without writing a review. 'Spectacular' is how I can sum it up in one word. The moment you step through the front door you felt at … More
26 Nov 2014
"The perfect place to celebrate a special occasion"
We had the pleasure of staying at Tarn House with two of our daughters and their families. What a fantastic house, from the minute we opened the door it was welcoming and felt homely, quite a feat in … More
16 Sep 2014
"Wonderful Home From Home (Only Better!)"
A beautifully furnished, big, family house where everything has been thought about to make you feel at home. From the flowers and biscuits on arrival, to the kitchen that has everything you could poss… More
9 Sep 2014
"Wonderful cottage in beautiful location"
We had a great say at this cottage, the kitchen is very well equipped and the bedrooms are all lovely. We especially liked the large living/dining area where everyone could gather, relax and have our … More
Thanks for the review. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay at Tarn House :-)
29 Jul 2014
"Great Cottage - family of 8"
Our party of 8 stayed here in July and very much enjoyed ourselves.The property is spacious and well equipped and well located to get to some great sites in the Lake District.The views from the "… More
13 Jul 2014
"great for 2 families!"
Loved Tarn House. The large living cum dining room and excellent facilities provided in the kitchen, made our holiday perfect for 2 families of 8 people. And having 2 bathrooms both with baths and sep… More
27 Jan 2014
"Girls weekend gettaway!"
Came here for a weekend getaway with the girls, the house was beautifully kept, very cosy, and had really nice touches all around the house, loved the rustic furniture. The fire was well stocked with … More
26 Oct 2013
A wonderful house in a fantastic location. All the "home from home" touches you would expect plus more. We found everything as described and the pre arrival instructions were detailed and us… More
21 Oct 2013
"Stunning comfortable house."
A really lovely house well presented and very well equipped. 6 adults made up our group and we were all comfortable and pleased by the house. I would definitely recommend staying at Tarn House.… More
You're booking with
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:21 Apr 2015
Based in United Kingdom