Holiday Loire Valley
Gite | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 7
Our 2 charming gites accommodate up to 5 and 3 respectively or can be rented as one unit, with flexible accommodation. They are found through our 15th Century entrance arch and are on opposite sides of the courtyard of our walled property within the 2 acre grounds. The swimming pool offers a pleasant retreat from the hot summer sun and is also a great place to unwind or excercise.
For the more adventurous there are many towns & villages within easy reach each steeped in history & offering its own speciality foods, wines & chateaux.
Children will love the Zoo at Doué-la-Fontaine or there is Futurescope at Poitiers a must an excellent day out, and worth staying for the evening show.
|Size||Sleeps up to 7, 3 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month)|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||2 Sofa beds, Double beds (2), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Further details outdoors|
Set of Boules.
Weather permitting you can visit our beehives & bees.
Guests are requested not to arrive before 16.00hrs as the gite will not be available before then. Time is required to prepare the gite after the previous guest leaving.
English speaking owners.
The Loire Valley region
Just the mention of the Loire Valley conjures up images of grand extravagant chateaux, castles, exquisite gardens & vast moats. It encapsulates the history and a romantic vision of France. From the 15th to the 18th centuries it was the playground for Kings, Princes, Dukes and Nobles, their vast family fortunes and the wealth of France turned it into a vast neighbourhood of lavish châteaux,. Rich and concentrated in architectural treasures UNESCO named the entire region a World Heritage Site in 2000.
The Renaissance architecture and earlier defensive fortresses at Angers, Chinon & Loches are stunning and numerous other châteaux small & large can be found throughout the Loire Valley.:-
• Fontevraud Abbey 20 minutes is the burial place of Richard the Lionheart son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.
• Saumur, 30 minutes, tourist town (Saturday market) château and good shops and restaurants.
• Montreuil Bellay – 15 minutes, chateau town
• Loudun – 15 minutes, good market on Tuesdays, nice old town centre with shops and recent renovations.
• Thouars – 20 minutes excellent market on Fridays.
• Poitiers An hour away is the Futurescope amusement park and cinema complex, an excellent day out, and worth staying for the evening show.
• Doué-la-Fontaine, 30 minutes away is the Zoo, apparently the best zoo in Europe.
• Loches is a very pretty little historic town about 90 minutes away, with a market on Wednesday.
• Richelieu steeped in history about 1 hour away..
• The larger towns of Tours, and Angers, are about 1 hour drive.
• Vinyards:-Lots of local vineyards where you can go to see the caves and taste the wine, no obligation to buy, but can you resist.
• Close by Château du Ternay just a 2 minute drive, still the seat of the Count and Countess de Ternay and their family. The château is open for tours by arrangement and truffle hunts in the season.
• Château du Brézé a chateau under a chateau, about 15 minutes drive
• Within about 45 minutes is the famous château of Ussé, where Perault wrote Sleeping Beauty, a pretty fairytale castle
• Azay-le-Rideau an elegant Renaissance château. On the Unesco World Heritage list .
Chinon a ruined chateau, is 30 minutes away & famous for its connection with Jean D’Arc...
• A planned day trip is advised for those a bit further afield about 90 minutes away are the chateaux of Chenenceux, Blois, Amboise....
Twinned with Warwick England and Verdun Germany the historical town of Saumur is set along the banks of the Loire River. The château dominates the region with its lofty position above the river, and the historic town spread beneath its feet offering excellent restaurants, interesting shops, brocantes,quaint squares and sunny bars to sit and watch the world go by.
Saturday is market day with its wonderful array of fresh breads, fruits, vegetables, flowers, meat, fish, cheese and livestock, plus a great variety of interesting gadgets and treasures.
Saumur is also home to the famous Cadre Noir, the National Equestrian School of the elite French Cavalry, the remarkable horsemanship of the Cavalry can been seen between April & October at regularly held shows.
With many activities, exhibitions and wine festivals scheduled throughout the year Saumur is a worthy visit, if not only to see the Cadre Noir and the impressive Château, which has been lovingly restored, but to also enjoy the beauty of this stunning river side town in the heart of the Loire Valley, France.
Combier Liqueurs:- Daily tours of the distillery
Claims it is the “original” formula used for triple sec, first created in 1834.
The Mushroom Museum – Along the river at St-Hilaire-St-Florent, nr. Saumur.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
Help other travellers decide where to stay
This holiday home hasn’t got any reviews yet. The average rating on Holiday Lettings is four out of five. This place could be newly added or perhaps it’s a well kept secret. Either way, it’s time to reveal all.
You're booking with
- 3 Years listed
85% Response rate
Calendar last updated:28 Oct 2014
Based in France
- Visit site
- 122 properties
- 64 properties
- 32 properties
- 25 properties
- 23 properties
- 22 properties
- 18 properties
- Saint Pardoux-Isaac
- 16 properties
- 14 properties
- 13 properties
- 13 properties
- Argenton Les Vallees
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- Moncontour, Vienne
- 9 properties
- Doue La Fontaine
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties