La Maison Tranquille
Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 5
La Maison Tranquille is to be found in the midst of the Loire countryside surrounded by old woodlands, gently rolling hills and traditional mixed farms of the Berry Region. It is a stone built cottage on two floors surrounded by a delightful sunny garden, which has been planted with sweet-scented flowers, aromatic herbs and fruit trees. Inside, the cottage has been renovated to a very high standard whilst retaining its character and charm. It has a wealth of traditional features such as the original oak roof beams and a delightful stone fireplace.
Nestling at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, in the hamlet of Neuvy Le Barrois, it is located some 5 miles from the market town of Sancoins and some 50 minutes south of Sancerre.
Le Petit Chez Soi, the village bar and shop, is open for daily bread, groceries and local cheeses amongst other things. Marie will bring baguettes in for you daily (pop along and order in advance), and offers a lunch menu. The bar is open til early evening. Marie is a new lady and is settling in to the task of serving the local community. Do think of using the shop: so many have closed down with the recent economic downtown, that supporting them is one of my favourite things!
The surrounding farms are rightly proud of their herds of pure-bred Charolais cattle. The area around here also has herds of goats. Martine Rossi, my friend and the keyholder, has both goats and cows (six) and makes chesses and has fresh milk and cream for you should you wish.
Picture this: breakfast in the garden under the cherry tree, accompanied by the sound of birdsong; preparing a picnic for the bicycle ride to the medieval village of Apremont; stopping for a beer or ice cream, soaking in the tranquil atmosphere of this historic village; returning for a barbecue in the soft glow of the evening sunshine. C'est parfait!
We have Wifi installed for the use of guests, so that you can both relax and stay in touch!
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Nearest River Beach 10 km|
|Will consider||House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||10 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Charles de Gaulle 292 km, Nearest railway: Nevers 20 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (3), Double beds (1), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 8|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Further details indoors|
The cottage is generously equipped and is heated by electric thermostatically controlled radiators and a large woodburning stove.
* Kitchen : large enough to eat in (seating for 4 provided), large kitchen/breakfast table and seating provided and is well equipped with fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, gas cooker and oven. A keen cook has stocked this kitchen with every utensil you would hope to find!
* Sittingroom : the focal point of this large room is the open stone fireplace, with wood burning stove. French doors leading to the back of the house and open onto the sunny private garden. Comfy sofa and armchairs for relaxing and elm refectory table and benches seating 6 comfortably are available for indoor dining.
* Shower room : large walk-in shower, bidet, wash-basin and mirrored cabinet
* WC : separate from shower room.
* Bedroom 1 : twin cherrywood sleigh beds.
* Bedroom 2 : double bed
* Landing : a single bed in spacious area.
There is also a DVD player, an iPod dock , a hifi system: there are a stock of DVDs and CDs for your pleasure, board games, books in both French and English and two adult bikes available. The cave houses the tumble drier , outdoor games and the bikes. Bedrooms feature original exposed oak beams
|Further details outdoors|
The cottage is set to the rear of the hamlet (the last house) and is surrounded by fields. There's a huge old woodland behind where one can walk quietly. The garden is totally enclosed and very spacious. Last year we started an orchard of apple, pear, plum and apricot trees. This summer our guests will pick from the trees fresh nectarines, plums and two varieties of apples. There doesn't appear to be any fruit on the apricot tree this year possibly because of a cold break in the weather at the beginning of May. A beautiful climbing rose now adorns the front of the house and the well also has a new rose to tumble around it. Privacy is maintained to the rear where one can seek the shade under the cherry tree, use the patio table and chairs for al fresco dining and enjoy a barbecue – a perfect retreat for hot summer days! Ample parking for cars on the property.
The Loire Valley region
An ancient route for trade, the Loire area has historical sites which range from the troglodyte caves at Rochmenier to extensive Romans remains. The central Loire Valley is host to France’s longest river as well as the magnificent ancient medieval capital of Bourges, the cathedral of Chartes and magical châteaux at Amboise, Cheveny and Chenonceaux.
Plenty of interesting places within easy reach:
* Apremont (5 mins) A medieval village justly deserving its "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France” (most beautiful village) status. You can enjoy the floral park, château and carriage museum, or simply enjoy a walk through this beautiful village and pause on the banks of the river Allier.
* Sancoins (10mins) is a bustling market town with an Intermarche, small shops, hotels and bars. The market takes place on Wednesday mornings, covering five squares in the centre of town. There is also a cattle market each Wednesday morning where the farmers buy and sell: it houses at least 2 restaurants!
* Nevers (20mins) Bordered by the Loire, Nevers is a city of arts and history, with the palais ducal, the beautiful cathedral and the Formula 1 circuit. A must to visit is the Grotto of St. Bernadette. There are options here for gourmet dining. The main line rail service to Paris is found here, with central Paris only 2 hours away by train!
* Sancerre (50mins) is a medieval hill-top village famous for the Sauvignon Blanc wines. The next village of Bue is where to find most of the caves for tasting and buying. A beautiful visit!
* Bourges (50mins) University city with lots of style, gothic cathedral and medieval quarter
* Also the stylish towns of Beaunne, Dijon, The Basilica of St Mary Magdalen in Vézelay and the Roman town of Autun easily reached for a day trip out.
* Cycling, walking, bird-watching, tennis, golf, fishing and swimming are all available within the area.
* For the kids there is karting at Magny-Cours, an aquatic centre at Nevers and nature trails and canoeing in the Foret de Troncais
* Famous Formula One grand prix motor racing at Magny-Cours is 20 minutes away.
* Le Prieuré Notre-Dame d’Orsan (50 mins) – Gardens and Restaurant. Truly enchanting! A medieval monastery garden brought back to life… with kitchen-gardens, orchards, a garden of medicinal herbs, a rose-garden, secret gardens, as well as a charming a restaurant in this perfect location.
* Foret de Troncais – less than half an hour from the property: horse riding, sailing picnicking, walking and many more outdoor activities are available here!
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
12 Oct 2014
"Perfect in every way!"
We loved this beautiful cottage! It certainly lived up to it's name - it was so peaceful there. The house was very well equipped and we really appreciated the welcome pack! The house was beautifu… More
25 Aug 2014
We have just returned from a week at la maison tranquille and it was a truly lovely respite from the chaos of London! Very peaceful and tucked away - but supermarket and lovely places to visit just a … More
Thanks for the lovely review. I was so pleased your journey across Paris went well and the train journey down to the cottage too. Judging by the guest book you did have an adventure packed week, including a canoe trip down the Allier River! Hats off to you!
I hope you have a wonderful Autumn and that you might return to this lovely part of France sometime soon.
21 Aug 2014
"Peaceful cottage with lovely garden"
We really enjoyed our stay in this very peaceful cottage. The enclosed garden was large and interesting and good for children to run about in. The house was cosy and very well equipped.… More
I am delighted to have your review and to hear that the cottage suited the whole family. I have spoken to you since the review and was pleased that there were no specific problems with your stay. The bistro in the village is now open and we are all enjoying having our morning baguettes just along the road! And an evening meal when we don't want to cook! I hope you have a wonderful Autumn.
21 Jul 2014
"La Maison Tranquille - a lovely cottage & very aptly named"
The Cottage is well appointed & restored with care. The photos on the living room wall show that a lot of hard work has been done, both inside & outside, to get it to the current lovely condition. We … More
I am delighted to hear that your stay at La Maison Tranquille met your expectations both for relaxation and adventure. The opportunities to find lovely visits are endless here in this region. And we would be delighted to have you back again!
3 Oct 2013
"Totally relaxing, perfectly located."
Some quick observations and experiences:* With a car, it's ideally located for a comfortable, peaceful break.* The cottage is even prettier than the pictures suggest. Well stocked kitchen, larg… More
I am delighted that you found the cottage and the region delightful: we do too! And each season has its own delights. The woodburning stove is one of them in the autumn thro to spring season. A good book in hand or some wonderful music playing, curled up on the sofa with the stove burning brightly is one of life's great pleasures! I hope that you make that rendezvous with the stove!
We are bringing over a music laden iPod to leave for our guests pleasure this autumn.
Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review.
16 Sep 2013
"La Maison Tranquille: beautiful house in beautiful garden."
La Maison Tranquille is a wonderful old house, renovated with loving care. It is furnished and equipped to the highest standard. We had a really great, peaceful stay. The garden in particular is a del… More
Thanks so much Brid and Eddie for your review. I am so pleased that you chose La Maison Tranquille and that you found it met your expectations. I do try extremely hard to make the cottage comfortable and relaxing: we all need this in these busy times. And a big thank you for looking after the garden whilst you were there! So appreciated!
23 Jan 2013
This was an excellent place to stay, beautifully decorated and maintained.
The owner and the local key holder could not have been more friendly or helpful.
The cottage is a fantastic location from which to explore the area
9 Oct 2012
"Maison Tranquille lived up to its name for us."
After touring northern France for 2 hectic weeks we arrived at Maison Tranquille and fell under its spell. Great location for seeing the sights of Sancerre vineards, Sancoins busy market, Nevers and A… More
8 Oct 2012
"What a wonderful place to spend a week"
We had a truly relaxing time in this wonderfully equipped cottage in a very beautiful part of France which we had not previously visited. The weather was fabulous and we found plenty to do - swimming in the lovely river, a bit of cycling, and even a day's canoeing, together with a bit of shopping to keep the teenagers happy and a visit to Sancerre to keep the adults happy. Martine , the local lady who manages the property, was incredibly helpful and very friendly. The cottage had everything we could possibly have needed and we didn't struggle to cater for nine when we met up with friends who were also visiting the area.
27 Aug 2012
"A beautiful well equipped home in the peace of the deepest countryside."
La Maison Tranquille is a beautiful cottage situated deep in the Cher countryside. The hamlet of Neuvey Le Barrois is quiet and peaceful, but close to the bustling towns of Nevers and Sancoin for the … More
You're booking with
- 7 Years listed
80% Response rate
Calendar last updated:29 Sep 2014
Based in United Kingdom
- Saint Fargeau
- 26 properties
- La Charite-sur-Loire
- 18 properties
- St Ambroix
- 14 properties
- 12 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- Magny Cours
- 10 properties
- Pougues Les Eaux
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- Lucy sur Yonne
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties
- Vias plage
- 6 properties
- 6 properties