Cottage | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 8
*The cottage is located away from the main road in a quiet spot but is within a few minutes walk of excellent local shops, restaurants, Porthilly Cove and Rock beach. Having no internal stairs it is ideal for toddlers and for elderly people. The property's 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms make it highly suitable for extended-family holidays, for two families sharing, or for groups of adults with shared interests such as golf or sailing. There are 4 showers in the property as well as a bath and 3 WCs, all stocked with complimentary toiletries and hairdryers. Incidentally, no one staying at Trevethan has to sleep in a bunk bed! There are two doubles, twin beds, two singles and a Baby Dan travel cot. Linen and towels can be provided (included in peak-time rentals) or visitors may bring their own.
* As a self-catering holiday home Trevethan is particularly well equipped with a fabulous kitchen area boasting granite worktops, ceramic hob, a fridge-freezer plus additional fridge (plus a drinks fridge elsewhere), a double oven and grill, microwave, and full-size Smeg dishwasher. There is a separate utility room with washer, tumble dryer and drinks chiller. An abundance of pots, pans, cookware, crockery and quality cutlery means not having to wait for the dishwasher to finish washing the last meal's dishes.
* Trevethan has two multi-channel TVs and DVD players as well as radios, an i-pod dock, and a music centre. The vaulted sitting room has a wall-mounted flatscreen TV, comfortable seating for eight, and the large dining table has eight upholstered chairs. A well-stocked cupboard has plenty of board games, DVDs and videos. Beach toys and body boards are stored in the utility room for guests to borrow. A high chair is also kept on site.
* There are front and rear gardens at the property. The sunny southwest facing rear has a lawned area and large stone terrace with teak table and eight teak armchairs. The terrace is a suntrap - great for dining in the evening sun without the wind you get at coastal properties. A barbecue and a wetsuit wash are located in the rear garden as well as a rotary clothes dryer. With the rear garden being enclosed, private and secure, parents can relax while small children play. The sitting room and kitchen overlook the rear garden so it's easy to keep an eye on them. Incidentally, there are no ponds in the gardens and the boiler is sited outside the property so there is no risk from carbon monoxide.
* Trevethan is popular with golfers since the St Enodoc course is nearby; it is also good for sailing enthusiasts attending Rock's sailing and water sports school. Walkers find it a good base, given access nearby to coastal or cross country walks.
* Cyclists and surfers are well served by this area. The Camel cycle Trail starts in Padstow just a short ferry ride away or Wadebridge, five miles away where bikes can be hired; there is wind and kite surfing at Daymer Bay, and excellent board surfing at nearby Polzeath.
*Rock is a good starting point for anyone wanting to tour Cornwall's gardens, children's theme parks, and historic attractions, by car.
* The area has some great restaurants to visit, including a good choice in Rock itself. The 2-Michelin-starred chef Nathan Outlaw has two restaurants in Rock whilst Rick Stein's three restaurants in Padstow are just a short ferry ride away. Rick Stein also has a fish and chip eatery and a pub doing inexpensive meals. There are other pubs that do good food and excellent restaurants in Port Isaac and at St Kew as well.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Porthilly Cove|
|Will consider||House swap, Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||250 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Newquay, Nearest railway: Bodmin Parkway|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 2 En suites|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (4), Double beds (2), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
|Further details indoors|
*The large open plan kitchen-dining-living space allows everyone to mingle comfortably while keeping an eye on young children playing outside in the garden.
* A large dining table with 8 comfortable upholstered chairs is provided.
* There is a freeview wall-mounted TV, a further bedroom TV and VCR and two DVD players.
*Two bedrooms have en suite bathrooms but there is also a large family bathroom including a bath with shower over as well as a separate walk-in shower.
*The kitchen has granite worktops, a full-size, very quiet, Smeg dishwasher, a two-oven electric cooker with ceramic hob and grill and a microwave. It is very well equipped with pans of all sizes, cookware, crockery and quality cutlery.
*Besides the fridge-freezer there is an extra fridge for food. A drinks fridge is provided too.
* There is a separate utility room with sink, washing machine, tumble dryer and ironing facilities.
|Further details outdoors|
*Trevethan has well-stocked gardens to the front and rear. The rear garden is fully enclosed and secure with a lawned area, rockery and flower border and large stone terrace.
*There is teak dining furniture for al fresco dining and a barbecue supplied.
* The property has its own off-road parking for up to 3 cars and a secure, sheltered area to the side of the house where cycles can be stored.
*An outdoor wetsuit wash is provided and a rotary washing line is supplied for drying clothes outside.
Although Trevethan is a bungalow with no internal steps, there are steps from the interior to exterior without handrails and internal doorways have not been modified. It is therefore not currently suitable for wheel chair users.
The West Country region
Rock, located close to the Camel Estuary and the Atlantic coast, is a wonderful unspoiled place. The estuary is bordered by miles of sheltered sandy beach and dunes at Daymer Bay while the beach at Polzeath enjoys Atlantic rollers that are large enough to surf but not so large as to terrify beginners. People have enjoyed coming to Rock for decades.
There is a loyal population of families who return every year to savour its relatively unchanging nature. Apart from the provision of several high quality restaurants in recent years little has changed. Where better to bring young children for a bucket and spade holiday while their older siblings learn to surf and sail.
And if you don't have children, enjoy the beach, the golf, the restaurants, and the freedom to relax. There are numerous places of interest nearby to keep you amused.
*Rock is close to the historic fishing port of Padstow, well known for the shops and restaurants of TV chef Rick Stein. A constant ferry shuttle takes you from Rock to Padstow in a few minutes.
*Prideaux Place in Padstow is a fine old country house open to the public. Pencarrow is another historic country house in the local area, open to the public.
*Another lovely historic fishing village nearby is Port Isaac where the TV series Doc Martin was filmed. It has some fine old pubs and restaurants and is a good place to buy lobster and crab.
*In nearby Trebetherick, the poet John Betjeman is buried in the grounds of the wonderful old church of St Enodoc. An equally lovely old church is located in Porthilly.
*The Victorian Long Cross gardens are a short drive from Rock. Further afield, but easily manageable in an afternoon trip, areThe Eden Project, The Lost Gardens of Heligan and other gardens.
*Rock is a golfers' paradise with excellent courses at St Enodoc and Roserrow.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
28 Sep 2014
"A Great Stay"
This was probably one of the best rental properties we have stayed in. It was clean, spacious, comfortable and well equipped. The property is located in a quiet part of Rock but still within easy reach of local shops and restaurants. We thoroughly enjoyed our week here and would thoroughly recommend it for those seeking a holiday in this part of Cornwall.
21 Sep 2014
"Holiday in Rock"
Fabulous proprerty. Very comfortable and well equipped. Good location with local shops ,restaurants and pubs all within walking distance. We are looking to returning next year.… More
9 Sep 2014
"Great Family Holiday Home"
Have stayed at Trevethan for past 5 years and is excellent base for our 3 generations (10 - 80 years). Comfortable with consideration for parents who have mobility issues. All the requirements for a relaxed stay are in place with a sunny garden for meals and drinks after a day on the beach. Local shops cater for day to day needs with large supermarket outside Wadebridge. Back next year - just booked up which probably confirms its suitability for us.
9 Sep 2014
"Fantastic Property in a beautiful Rock"
This property is fantastic for families. It has been beautifully decorated and we felt right at home. It is really well equipped, and well looked after. Location wise, it is about a 15 minute walk from the sea front where you can catch the ferry to Padstow. There is a small row of shops just around the corner with an excellent bakery and butchers which is worth a visit if planning a BBQ (provided) in the pretty back garden. We are already planning our next stay.
23 Jul 2014
"amazing place to stay !!!!!"
what can i say about his place ,it was everything and more besides .we could not have wished for a better place to stay .the weather was excellent the area was excellent .the bungalow had everything you could ever need .The rooms were spotless as was the garden which my kids loved .All in all a lovely place to stay for a nice weeks rest .The butchers in rock and the bakers was brilliant ,the cakes and pasties were to die for and the meat in the butchers was some of the best i have ever had .The bungalow is a real credit to the owners who have really thought about what people on holiday will need .There is no bad points and you would be hard pushed or just plain fussy to find a fault with this place .thanks for a excellent weeks holiday .
The graham family
Thank you so much for your very kind words. We are so glad you liked the property and the Rock area.
23 Jul 2014
"Great family place to stay"
We had a stunning week in Rock, the weather was fantastic. This was a bonus as our little boy, who was only 10months old start to walk whilst on holiday. He was so keen to play in the paddling pool he got up and walked!
The holiday home was very well equipped and bedrooms nice and spacious. The garden was the reason we booked to stay and it was just the right size. We would probably stay again if we come back to the area.
If you are unfamiliar with Rock, it would be a good idea to get your bearing of where the property is as the walk the estuary is quite long. It was not really possible to walk down to the road to estuary with a little one in a pram. Most of the roads do not have any pavements and sadly some motorists were a little to impatient, one day my father was actually clipped by a passing car who didn't even bother to stop to see if he was injured. Obviously we didn't walk around much after that, so drove around the vicinity. Still an amazing part of the country.
5 Jun 2014
"Excellent holiday home with everything one needs for a comfortable stay."
This has to be one of the best homes we have
ever stayed in.The owners have put a lot of thought into providing everything that one may need whilst staying there.A few weeks before our holiday the owners sent us pages of information ranging from the property to where we could eat,cycle hire and babysitters.All this proved very useful as we did not know the area.
On arrival at the house we found it to be spotlessly clean,all the beds made up with quality linen.Shampoo and shower gel was supplied in all bathrooms.The kitchen was well fitted out with plenty of utensils china and cutlery.One cupboard in the lounge was full of games etc for children.
We have no hesitation in recommending this lovely home.
There are good restaurants in Rock suggest you book in advance.The dining room is excellent and only a ten minute walk from the property.
5 Jan 2014
"Fantastic Holiday House"
This was such a lovely place to spend a week at Christmas. The house was very comfortable and extremely well equipped - pretty much everything you could think of was provided (including a Christmas tr… More
11 Oct 2013
"Perfect first holiday as a family"
My partner and I took our 6 month old son to Trevethan in late September and had a truly wonderful stay. Before we even arrived the owner impressed us by sending a detailed information pack full of i… More
3 Sep 2013
Truly deserving of its 5 star status. A beautiful house that is perfectly proportioned and ideal for 2 families (an en-suite each for the grown ups and large family bathroom for the kids to share). … More
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
- 5 Years listed
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:23 Oct 2014
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site
- 854 properties
- 409 properties
- St Austell
- 259 properties
- 252 properties
- 232 properties
- Port Isaac
- 173 properties
- 141 properties
- 138 properties
- Mawgan Porth
- 100 properties
- 55 properties
- 54 properties
- 49 properties
- Watergate Bay
- 42 properties
- St Teath
- 21 properties
- 20 properties
- 16 properties
- 16 properties
- 11 properties
- St Mawgan
- 8 properties
- 6 properties