Chateau de Lys
Chateau | 10 bedrooms | sleeps 20
The impressive 14th century Chateau de Lys is one of the most historical and impressive in Gascony. The Chateau can sleep up to 20 guests in comfort; there is also a superb heated pool, all weather tennis court, games room with billiard table and baby foot, table tennis, Wi-Fi access, UK TV, private lake and extensive grounds.
The Chateau de Lys enjoys an elevated position with southerly vistas over its parklands, lake and forests with a large terrace to enjoy wonderful scenery in a calm and relaxing environment. The area has become known as the Tuscany of France for its long hot summers and temperate winters with spring and autumn temperatures in the mid 20s.
The chateau is adorned with suits of armour, flags and spectacular architecture as well as its own chapel that can be dated back to the 12th century.
We also produce our own wine on the estate which can be found in many local restaurants and all guests are invited to a complimentary wine tasting. Wine can be pre-ordered and ready for your arrival.
|Size||Sleeps up to 20, 10 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bordeaux, Bergerac, Toulouse, Pau and Biarritz, Nearest railway: Agen 54 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Telephone, Pool or snooker table, Table tennis, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||10 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms, 2 En suites and 2 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (6), Double beds (7), Dining seats for 19, Lounge seats for 19|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, Private tennis court|
|Further details indoors|
- Entrance Hall - oak panelled leading to a large stone staircase.
- Dining Hall - a wonderful room with an ornate wooden ceiling, large stone fireplace, round dining table and an additional refectory table also furnished with a suit of armour and carved cabinets
- Upper Kitchen - brand new fitted upper kitchen with granite work surfaces and stainless steel splashbacks, dishwasher, twin sink, microwave, fridge/freezer, SMEG range oven/hob
- Lower Kitchen - with an arched stone ceiling, the kitchen is well equipped including dishwasher, large fridge/freezer, microwave, coffee machine, toaster, kettle, oven, hob and internal BBQ.
Laundry Room – Situated off the terrace with two washing machines and a large tumble drier
- Chapel - The ancient chapel of the chateau is the oldest survival on the site (probably 12th century). At a later date, the chapel was extended with a nave in gothic style, and its northern wall formed part of the main defensive wall of the chateau. It is accessed from a hall way leading from the Upper kitchen.
- Main lounge/sitting area - Spacious salon with wooden flooring and an abundance of sofas and chairs. The very impressive room features a large stone fireplace. The furniture and furnishings are all in keeping with the historic feel of the room.
- Music Room – an elaborate ornate room with white wood panel walls with gilt finish a grand piano, period furnishing, large TV (UK Freeview) and oversized beanbags
- Games Room – Dark wood panelled room, with billiard table and baby foot, walls adorned with hunting trophies, swords, flags and shields, leading to a downstairs bathroom with scroll top bath, sink and WC.
- Cloakroom - with wash basin and separate wc.
- Master Suite (Bedroom 1) - This large room features a four poster bed. The room is partially oak panelled with period furnishing, fireplace and a wonderful southerly outlook over the grounds and parklands.
- Master Bathroom - Large Jack and Jill bathroom also leading to twin bedroom, with bath, sink, WC and ample storage.
- Twin Bedroom (Bedroom 2) - Originally the dressing room for the Master Bedroom, this ideal to create a private family suite. Containing two single beds, wardrobe and fireplace, window overlooking the courtyard garden, can also be accessed from the main landing so can be used as a separate room.
- Large four poster bedroom (Bedroom 3) – This very large room features a four poster bed, wood panelling, fireplace and an ornately painted ceiling, with period furnishings in keeping with the room. Southerly facing windows overlooking the gardens and pool.
- Bridal suite, large four poster bedroom (Bedroom 4) - tastefully decorated with a fireplace and double four poster bed. Door leading to spacious en-suite bathroom, with sink, scroll top bath and WC located in its own tower, south facing window overlooking gardens.
-Shower Room – Large walk in shower with sink and wc, west facing window overlooking gardens
- Double bedroom (Bedroom 5) - Wooden double bed and wardrobe with access to twin bedroom to form another family suite, northerly views over surrounding countryside and the chateau’s vineyard.
- Twin bedroom (Bedroom 6) - two single beds with access to the above double bedroom westerly facing views over gardens.
- Shower room - shower, washbasin, WC.
- Double bedroom (Bedroom 7) - featuring a double four poster bed, fireplace and wardrobe, northerly views over surrounding countryside and the chateau’s vineyard.
- Double bedroom (Bedroom 8) - featuring a double four poster bed, fireplace and wardrobe, northerly views over surrounding countryside and the chateau’s vineyard.
- Bunk bedroom (Bedroom 9) – Large bunk beds, room has access to adjoining double bedroom, northerly views over surrounding countryside and the chateau’s vineyard.- Double bedroom (Bedroom 10) – Double four poster bed, wardrobes and fireplace, northerly views over surrounding countryside and the chateau’s vineyard.
- Shower room – shower, washbasin, WC.
|Further details outdoors|
Gardens and grounds
The chateau boast its own hunting forest with deer and wild boar, a large open lake and an all-weather tennis court. The main gate leads to a large courtyard garden with flower beds and seating area on an elevated terrace. Stone steps lead down to the large enclosed heated pool with BBQ and covered seating area. The main drive leads to the front of the chateau with its impressive gates and twin turrets, the drive continues to the chateau’s chais where the wine is made and stored.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FULL PROPERTY DESCRIPTIONS, PHOTOGRAPHS, AVAILABILITY & PRICES ARE KEPT UP TO DATE ON MY WEBSITE WHICH YOU CAN VISIT BY CLICKING ON MY PERSONAL WEBSITE LINK BELOW.
The Aquitaine/Dordogne region
The chateau is situated in the Lot-et-Garonne on the borders of Gascony, famous for Armagnac, wine production, foie gras and fabulous cheese and also the homeland of the “Three Musketeers” and the pine forests of the Landes heading to the wild Atlantic coast.
International airports are located at Bordeaux, Bergerac, Toulouse, Pau and Biarritz all within one and half-hour’s drive. TGV services run from Paris and the Mediterranean to Agen about 45 minutes away.
The chateau produces its own wine under the label of "Baron de Lisse" which is sold in many local restaurants and shops, guests are invited for a complimentary wine tasting.
We are situated approximately 10 minutes from the towns of Nérac and Mezin which both have bustling markets, fine restaurants, boat trips and plenty of other sightseeing opportunities.
We are also only 20 minutes drive from the Cathedral town of Condom and 40 minutes from the elegant city of Agen.
The Chateau is ideally located for avid golfers with numerous 18 hole courses to choose from, we can arrange tailor made golfing packages on request.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
Oliver's Travels (Property Manager Oliver's Travels Ltd)
- 6 Years listed
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted