About the home
The gîte at Limorlin provides luxury self-catering holiday accommodation in a tranquil setting in the countryside, with splendid rural views, large pool (May-Sep), two terraces (facing South and East respectively), in peaceful surroundings - and exclusively for adults to preserve the calm environment (absolutely child-free, no neighbours, sole gîte on the property).
It is the perfect place to unwind - idyllic as a romantic break for couples and an ideal holiday for teachers and others with stressful jobs who need a complete break away from children and other disturbances.
Limorlin is located near the Charente and Seugne Rivers (both great for fishing) and the spectacular and wide Atlantic beaches, and provides an ideal base for exploring the area (beaches, chateaux and forts, gourmet restaurants, Cognac houses, vineyards, roman ruins, fishing, golf, etc).
Newly opened in 2007, the gîte at Limorlin is part of a 17th century farmhouse estate set in the tranquillity of the countryside in one of the sunniest regions of France. From your terrace on the south side of the gîte, you’ll enjoy an uninterrupted view of the countryside, with the 12th Century Donjon (castle tower) of the historic town of Pons on the horizon.
Whether you decide to linger by the pool or just relax on the terrace, Limorlin is the perfect place to unwind.
If you are looking for a self-catering holiday rental for adults only, with no children to spoil the quiet and calm, this is your ideal choice.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 2, 1 bedroom|
|Nearest beach:||St Georges de Didonne / Royan, 43km|
Nearest amenities: 3km
|Family friendly?||Not suitable for children|
Unsuitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||No pets allowed|
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Log fire, DVD player, Staffed Property|
|Pool:||Private outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General:||Video player, CD player, Table tennis, Games room|
|Standard:||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities:||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||1 Bedroom, 1 shower room|
|Furniture:||Double beds (1), Dining seating for 4, Lounge seating for 4|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
|Outdoors:||Private outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony / Terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available|
Further details indoors:
The gîte has been carefully and tastefully refurbished and provides modern comforts while retaining its original charm and features. It is double-insulated so it stays cool in summer and is very easy to keep warm out of season.
As well as electric heating throughout, there is a wood-burner in the lounge.
DVD player and selection of DVD's, and lots of books to read.
There is one bedroom which sleeps 2 in double or twin beds.
Bed-linen and kitchen/bathroom towels provided, change provided weekly.
En-suite fully-wet italian-style shower-room with wash basin and toilet.
Further details outdoors:
15mx6m swimming pool (with adjoining 2mx2m paddling pool) May-Sep depending on weather - very rarely used by owners.
Sunbeds, outdoor tables and chairs.
Boules/pétanque and lawn badminton sets.
- Rural / countryside retreat - we have no children and no near neighbours
- Romantic holiday get-away for couples
- Teachers and others who work with children but who want a relaxing break without children around
- Relaxing and unwinding
- Swimming in or lazing by the pool away from crowds
- A spring/autumn sun break
- Exploring the area - by car, bicycle or on foot
- Lots of historic and other places to visit
- Markets, fairs and events
- Walking holidays
- Cycling holidays
- and much, much more ...
In the gîte there is an extensive folder which has loads of information/suggestions on what to do, where to go, where to eat, etc
Bed-linen, bathroom towels and kitchen linen provided, change provided weekly.
Comprehensive welcome pack included (bottle of bubbly, breakfast ingredients and basics for your first day, condiments, etc).
Gourmet meal on arrival by prior arrangement - option of gourmet vegetarian meal on request. .
We do not accept children, babies or pets.
We regret no disabled access or facilities.
No smoking on the premises.
The Poitou-Charentes / Vendee / Charente Maritime region
The Charente-Maritime is renowned for its sunny climate, splendid beaches and its historic towns and Roman ruins.
Equally famous are the specialities of this wine-growing area: Cognac and Pineau des Charentes. Many Cognac houses offer guided visits. St Emilion and the other renowned Bordeaux wine-growing chateaux are also within easy reach.
The Santiago de Compostela pilgrim route that many pilgrims used during the Middle Ages (and still do today) passes through Pons. Traditional halts nearby include the Pilgrim's Hospice in Pons, the church of Aulnay and the church of Saint-Eutrope in Saintes.
Places to visit and things to do nearby:
- Forts, chateaux, abbeys and other historic buildings;
- Pretty villages and historic towns such as Pons, Saintes, Cognac, Talmont, Mornac, Jonzac, Royan, Rochefort, La Rochelle, Angoulême, Saint Emilion, etc;
- Sample Cognac and Pineau des Charentes (and history) in a local Cognac House;
- River cruises on the Charente or Seugne, or hire your own electric boat, pedalo or kayak;
- Sea cruises from Royan, La Tremblade, Fouras or La Rochelle - modern motor boats offering short and long cruises, or old sailing boats offering day-long cruises;
- Explore the many antique and bric-a-brac shops, markets and fairs;
- Les Jardins du Monde at Royan, Aquarium at La Rochelle, Zoo at La Palmyre, Paleosite near Saintes, Lascaux and other caves in Perigord, Futuroscope near Poitiers and 14 nature centres in the area;
- Thermal baths at Jonzac - both 'les Antilles de Jonzac' for fun and underground baths for thermal cures;
- Try hot-air ballooning or take a helicopter tour of the region;
- and much more...
Whether by foot, bike, or on horseback, the Charente-Maritime is a paradise for hiking and riding. Make the most of the organised footpaths along the ocean’s edge, across the marshes, in the heart of the countryside and the vineyards, surrounded by a rich and varied heritage – all in all, a world of unique landscapes. There are 850 km long-distance footpaths and 2,700 km of local footpaths, sign-posted and maintained to allow you to discover the secrets of the area at your own rhythm. There are also 1200 km of maintained and signposted bridal paths, from 20 to 40 km long, including variants for both riders and carriages.
Renowned for its coastline and its generous sun, the Charente-Maritime offers immense opportunities for sea fishing. The inland region is criss-crossed with waterways, rivers and streams which are a haven for leisurely fresh water fishing.
The Pons / Bougneau area
Limorlin is conveniently situated between the historic towns of Saintes, Cognac and Pons. La Rochelle, Rochefort, Royan and the fascinating and picturesque ports of the Gironde estuary are all within easy reach.
It is only 40 minutes to the wide sandy beaches of the Côte de Beauté adjacent to Royan and about an hour to the spectacular wild beaches of the Côte Sauvage.
The Charente river offers cruises and fishing, the quiet roads through the vineyards are perfect for walking or cycling. Maps for ten of the local walking/cycling routes are in the gîte, with circuits from 7 to 15 km to discover.
There are 3 great 18-hole golf courses nearby. These three courses combine varied technical aspects with something to please players of all levels, delightful surroundings, views over the sea, forested sections, unspoilt countryside and outstanding facilities.
Enjoy the true taste of French cuisine in the many local restaurants and sample the local wines, Cognac and Pineau des Charentes.
In the gite, we have provided a comprehensive information pack, with information about local shops, markets, restaurants, picnic spot, fishing and events, as well as maps and brochures from the local Tourist Offices.
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
For those who wish to drive here, Limorlin is just 10 minutes from the A10 Paris-Bordeaux motorway (Junction 36 - Pons).
Alternatively, we suggest a fly-drive (or rail-drive) holiday:
Fly to La Rochelle or Bordeaux - Limorlin is about 60 miles (by motorway) from both (1 hour).
By Eurostar/TGV via Lille to Angouleme (40 miles, about 45 minutes).
Cheap flights available to La Rochelle from:
- London Stansted, Dublin, Cork, Oslo and Brussels (Charleroi) with Ryanair - www.ryanair.com
- London Gatwick and Bristol with Easyjet - www.easyjet.com
- Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester and Southampton with Flybe - www.flybe.com
- Edinburgh and Leeds with Jet2 - www.jet2.com
- Cork with Aer Lingus - www.aerlingus.com
- Rotterdam with Transavia - www.transavia.com
- Brussels, Dusseldorf, Lille, Lyon, Metz, Poitiers, Strasburg, Stuttgart with Airlinair/Air France - www.airlinair.com or www.airfrance.fr
Cheap flights available to Bordeaux from:
- Edinburgh and Cork with Ryanair - www.ryanair.com
- Manchester with bmibaby - www.bmibaby.com
- Belfast, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester with Flybe - www.flybe.com
- Bristol, Liverpool, London Gatwick, London Luton, Lyon, Geneva and Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg with Easyjet - www.easyjet.com
- London Gatwick with British Airways - www.britishairways.com
- Amsterdam, Brussels, Geneva, Lille, Lyon, Mulhouse and Strasbourg with Air France - www.airfrance.fr
- Dublin with Aer Lingus - www.aerlingus.com
- Geneva with Baboo - www.flybaboo.com
- Copenhagen with Cimber - www.cimber.com
- Oslo and Stockholm with Norwegian Air Shuttle - www.norvegian.no
- Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, Toronto and Vancouver with Air Transat - www.airtransat.ca
Rental cars available at La Rochelle and Bordeaux airports and at Angouleme station.
Activities near Pons
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
A winter sun break
24 Sep 2012
This is a beautifully appointed gite and quite the best in terms of comfort and cleanliness that we have found in 30 years of visiting France. It is ideal for a couple who want some peace and quiet... more
16 Sep 2012
We have just returned from nelly and donald's limorlin gite and we can't wait to go back. If we hadn't already sorted out next years holiday we would be booking again for next... more
22 May 2011
You'll find Limorlin about an hour by car from Bordeaux or La Rochelle, tucked in among gently rolling fields of grain and grapes, far from anywhere noisy or ugly. Perfectly set up as a... more
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 2|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|Spring||6 Apr 13||1 Jun 13||£ 460||-||-||1 Week|
|Early Summer||1 Jun 13||29 Jun 13||£ 540||-||-||1 Week|
|Mid Summer||29 Jun 13||14 Sep 13||£ 660||-||-||1 Week|
|SPECIAL DEAL||14 Sep 13||28 Sep 13||£ 480||-||-||2 Weeks|
|Late Summer||28 Sep 13||5 Oct 13||£ 540||-||-||5 Nights|
|Autumn||5 Oct 13||21 Dec 13||£ 460||-||-||5 Nights|
|Christmas/New Year||21 Dec 13||4 Jan 14||£ 660||-||-||5 Nights|
The property does not have weekend tariffs.
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
Special deal: 14-28 Sept £960 for 2 weeks (instead of £1,080)!
Rates quoted above in any currency except £sterling are approximate only. Please contact us for the exact weekly euro rates if you wish to pay in euros.
Changeover day Saturday in June, July August, flexible at other times.
Comprehensive welcome pack included.
Gourmet meal on arrival available by prior arrangement - option of vegetarian gourmet meal on request.
Bed-linen, bathroom towels and kitchen linen provided, change provided weekly.
25% deposit with booking form.
£200 security deposit with balance of rental, 6 weeks prior to beginning of rental period.
If making payment from outside UK, please allow for bank charges (or currency conversion charges) that may be deducted before we receive your funds.
Note: All text and images on this page are Copyright © Donald & Nelly Gardiner 2007-2009Enquire now
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Contact the owner
* Required fields
Please check the following errors:
6 years listed
You are contacting
Nelly & Donald Gardiner
The owner is based in the United Kingdom and has advertised with Holiday Lettings since 2007. This gite has received 3 reviews from previous guests.
Verified property owner
This owner has been verified by our team
Payment for this home can be made directly to the owner.
Holiday apartments in France (11,705)