Casa Kaya Beach House
House | 5 bedrooms | sleeps 12
Located ocean-side in the small beach community of Poneloya, Nicaragua, only 18 kilometers from colonial Leon, this 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom house is perfect for a relaxing beach getaway. Come enjoy the open beach, the waves, the fresh fish, and a taste of the authentic Nicaraguan coast.
Two of the five bedrooms are equipped with AC. There is bed space for 12 people (one queen, two doubles, six singles). The appropriate number of beds will be made up with linens and you will receive a bath towel for each guest. Beach towels are not provided. Our caretaker will clean the house every other day and replace the linens once a week. The centerpiece of the house is a big, open kitchen/dining space with a huge counter for cooking, a long bar with bar stools, and plenty of space to socialize. There are large covered terraces on both the beach side and garden side of the house where you can eat or relax in the shade and the hammocks. On the beach side of the house there is a thatched roof "rancho" where you can enjoy the view of the waves.
Most renters have a car and can park it in the large yard where there is room for 3 or 4 vehicles. Poneloya can also be accessed by taxi (about $12 from Leon; $65 from the airport) or buses which leave on the hour from El Mercado Sutiava in Leon (30 minutes, about 50 cents). Leon is only about 15 minutes on a paved road by car, so it is also a great day trip to enjoy the attractions, go to the supermarket, see a movie, or enjoy some live music.
Poneloya has a few businesses - a handful of convenience stores and a few seafood restaurants that serve beer and overlook the inlet at the north end of the beach. The connected beach/village of Las Peñitas is likely where you will go for food and drinks. There are a number of small hostels and restaurants (a few minutes by car, 10 by bike, 40 by foot). The best is La Barca de Oro at the far end of the beach overlooking the estuary. You can tell the owner Sandrine that you are staying at Casa Kaya. Her staff makes wonderful fresh fish. Activities on the beach include fishing, horseback riding, boat tours through a nature-reserve, and surfing.
Nicaragua is not Mexico, and Poneloya is not Cancun. For anyone looking for nightclubs, pyramids, banana boat rides, etc.... this is not the place. Poneloya is an authentic beach community with beautiful sunsets, wide-open beaches, and some funky tourist-friendly businesses. Nearby Leon is a colonial gem, and Nicaragua in general still has a largely magical, untouched feel to it (barring a few tourist meccas like San Juan del Sur and Granada).
A few other things to note: ?
- Nicaragua in general is very safe, but like anywhere in Latin America, risks can be minimized by being aware. Violent crime and robbery are basically unheard of in Leon and Poneloya. Petty theft does sometimes occur. Casa Kaya can be closed and locked on both the beach and street sides. We provide an onsite night caretaker to help move in beach furniture and to make our guests feel secure.
- The house is pet friendly. Unless your dog is skinny enough to get through the gate, it can be kept inside the inner yard. ?
- There is no internet available at the house. You can get internet access at small businesses on the beach, as well as in Leon. ?
- We provide the first 5-gallon jug of drinking water and a dispenser. Replacement jugs can be purchased across the street.
- Swimming right in front of the house is one of the great things about Casa Kaya. Currents and waves can be strong at high tide. The nearby estuary is great for small kids.
- The waves out front can be good for surfing. The neighboring beach of Las Peñitas has two or three even more reliable breaks. There are some exceptional breaks that can be accessed by car.
Rates: Our prices are $110/night for 6 nights or fewer, $90/night for 7 nights or more, and $60/night for 30 nights or more (these prices do not include charges applied by publicity websites). A high season rate of $175 is applied during Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter, and La Purisima (Dec. 6-8). All prices are for up to 8 people. The cost for each additional guest will be $10/pp/per night.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Josh (Owner), Ofelia (Manager), and Flor (Caretaker)
|Size||Sleeps up to 12, 5 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Out front|
|Access||Car not necessary|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: MGA 110 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Rooms||5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (6), Double beds (3), Dining seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
The Leon, Nicaragua region
Leon is just 2 hours from the airport in Managua. The city is the second largest in Nicaragua, and is a main Spanish colonial cultural center with a bustling nightlife and many universities. The city is surrounded by volcanoes and is just 18 kilometers from Poneloya and my beach house.
Poneloya is one of the original Nicaraguan beach towns, and still maintains an authentic charm. It has about 80 beach-front properties. Casa Kaya is located on the sand in the middle of the beach.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
Pay online via the Holiday Lettings payment platform with your credit/debit card or your PayPal account to be covered by Payment Protection. Learn more
You're booking with
Based in United States