La Belle Grange
About the home
This is a newly renovated gite, finished for July 2008, and has already been tested, with good reports! It is beautifully decorated, being a home from home and is very spacious throughout and very well equipped.
The gîte is ideal for 6/8 people, or 2 families and has a wealth of charm with exposed beams and some stonework and tiled floors and lovely finishing touches of locally bought quilts and some handmade cushions - it's the finishing touches that make it! WE ARE ABLE TO PROVIDE INDIVIDUAL BEDS TO THOSE PARTIES OF 6/8 ADULTS WHO ARE NOT COUPLES. (Cycling or walking groups.) PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS.
The gîte is located in the pretty village of Ance, which is 10 mins from the local market town of Oloron Ste Marie, which has a beautiful cathedral and the main Gave d'Oloron running through it. There are many restaurants and shops and the local market runs on Friday mornings.
This really is a stunning area to explore and is easily accessible and is central to a wealth of activities. The gîte is a 'home from home', being well furnished and equipped with beautiful surroundings and breathtaking views of the mountains.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 8, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach:||Biarritz, 80km|
|Will consider:||House swaps|
Nearest amenities: 5km
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Suitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||May take pets - please enquire|
No smoking at this property
|Pool:||Shared outdoor pool (unheated)|
|General:||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-fi available|
|Standard:||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities:||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||3 Bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 1 family bathroom, 1 en suite and 1 shower room|
|Furniture:||Sofabeds (1), Single beds (2), Double beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seating for 6, Lounge seating for 6|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
|Outdoors:||Shared outdoor pool (unheated), Balcony / Terrace, Shared garden, BBQ, Swing set, Trampoline|
Further details indoors:
The open plan layout has a lounge, kitchen and dining area. The lounge area having TV (French and some UK channels, connection for Playstation,etc) and DVD/CD player and ample seating surrounding the feature fireplace with electric fire. The large open plan kitchen area has an electric ceramic hob and electric oven, fridge/freezer, microwave and dishwasher. The spacious dining area has table and 6/8 chairs, with additional seating available.
The main bedroom is situated on the ground floor, off the lounge area and has a double bed with bedside cabinets, dressing table and chair and clothes hanging space and an en suite shower room/WC. There are french doors leading out on to the private terrace. The 2nd bedroom is on the first floor and is furnished with a double bed with bedside cabinets, dressing table and wardrobe and the 3rd bedroom has twin beds and bunk beds, bedside lamps and wardrobe and lots of exposed beams!. A cot is available for families with young children. Also to the first floor is a bathroom with bath/shower above, wash basin and WC.
There is an additional WC on the ground floor. There is electric heating. The accommodation has been well planned providing very spacious living areas and bedrooms and is ideal for 2 families, or family with grandparents, or just a family who like space.
Next door, the main communal entrance/reception area has a PLAYROOM with table football, various toys, books and games for all ages with various leaflets and maps of the area. Access to the UTILITY ROOM providing you with a washing machine and tumble drier, which is shared with the other guests.
Further details outdoors:
There is a private terrace which has stunning views across to the mountains, table and chairs and BBQ.
The southfacing, walled communal garden area is designed to provide a safe playing area for children and adults. The paddock area is ideal for relaxing among the fruit trees, taking in the stunning views of the mountains and watching the birds of prey soar the skies. The playing area in the garden has a trampoline, swing set and slide and various toys. There are 2 goal posts and other nets for badminton or volleyball. Just mind the vegetable garden and resident scarecrow! The pool area has been designed so it is not easy for little ones to wonder into, being accessed either side by a small staircase and lockable gates then onto the sundeck area. Our south facing sundeck is approximately 60m2 and has sun loungers, tables and chairs and parasols. The pool is 9.45m x 4.5m and is one depth of 1.2m and can only be accessed via the steps from the sundeck area and is perfect for cooling down in the hot sun.
PRIVATE DESIGNATED PARKING is off-road and is situated within the boundary of the property. We also have secure lockable storage (approx 150m2) for bikes, roof boxes, fishing equipment, etc, if required
The garden and pool is shared with the owners of the house and other gite guests.
We ask you to please refrain from smoking inside the gîte.
Owners are on site and are available to answer questions, make bookings for any local activities, if required .
Babysitting may be a possibility, depending on child!
WE CAN ACCOMMODATE LARGER GROUPS, USING OUR OTHER 2 GITES - PLEASE ENQUIRE FOR MORE DETAILS - PERHAPS A BIG FAMILY HOLIDAY, BUT YOU STILL WANT YOUR OWN SPACE? Please see our advert for Les Granges.
Non-returnable deposit of £100 required on booking with balance of holiday to be paid 6 weeks prior to holiday start date.
Refunadable breakages deposit required of 100€ - subject to no breakages.
CLEANING FEE £100
Electric and bed linen included in price, during summer months. Electric payable in winter.
The Aquitaine / Dordogne / Pyrenees Atlantiques region
The gite is situated at the foothills of the Pyrénées in the Béarn region of South West France, 10 km from the market town of Oloron Ste Marie, the town where the French beret was invented! Famous for it's local produce of 'brebis' cheese, Madiran and Jurançon wines, garbure (soup) and of course the mountains, the area is rural France at its best. The climate is very hot during the summer and mild during winter. It is very lush and green with a wealth of trees and forests and waterfalls. There are lots of nature walks, cycling is very popular, gorges to visit and Les Grottes (ancient caves with stalagmites and stalagtites). Biarrritz and St Jean de Luz is about an hour and a half away and Spain is about an hour.
The Oloron-Sainte-Marie / Ance area
Oloron Ste Marie is 10km from Ance and has an array of shops and restaurants and during the summer has many shows in the local park, from live bands, jazz festivals, gospel choirs to soup festivals, bike races and night markets. Many of the local villages and towns have markets, so you could visit a different one everyday and take their Menu du Jour, prices start from as little as 10€ per person for 3 courses including wine. If you want a bit more action then there is always something to do!
- WATER PARK - Aquabearn Water Park, 20 mins drive, with slides, pools, picnic areas, restaurants, etc. Aquabearn and the local pool is seasonal only from June to September.
- SWIMMING - Oloron pool with indoor and outdoor pools, slides, picnic area, etc is 10 min drive and local outdoor pool at Lanne is 5 min drive.
- ADVENTURE PARK - at Aramits is a 10 min drive, with harness and safety equipment you climb through the trees and can abseil and bungee jump, if you want!
- QUAD BIKING, 4x4 off-roading and go-carting at Aramits is a 10 min drive, mainly for adolescents and adults.
- CLIMBING - Rock climbing
- RAFTING - kayaking and white water rafting are 15/20 mins away.
- LES GORGES - The amazing Gorge de Kakouetta is about 30 mins drive, where you can walk through the Gorge with its waterfalls and flowing river, stop for a picnic and take in the view.
- HORSE RIDING - There is horse riding, nearby in Goes, about 15 min drive.
- SKIING -(winter only) Well situated for La Pierre St Martin, Gourette, Astun and Candanchu. Suitable for all ages and abilities.
- FISHING - the rivers are well known for excellent salmon and trout fishing. Les Gaves d'Oloron, d'Aspe and d'Ossau.
- CYCLING - the Tour de France has travelled through the Pyrénées climbing the Cols d'Ichere, de Marie Blanque, La Pierre St Martin and further across to the Col dAubisque and Tourmalet. The local Tourist Board can give you details of past routes and stages, so you can try them yourself!
- MOUNTAIN BIKING - Becoming more and more popular, you can hire bikes locally and try the local, well signposted routes or hire a guide and try some of the routes more off the beaten track.
- GOLF - There are several courses within reach of us here, a small course at Salies de Bearn, or at Pau there is the newer course at Artigelouve, or play the oldest course in mainland Europe. 150 years old, the clubhouse is like a museum, the greens having stunning views of the mountains and the restaurant is an ideal 19th hole! Further afield, 90 mins, there is the challenging, but stunning course at Lourdes or on the coast, the championship courses at Biscarosse and Seignosse.
- WINE TASTING - the Jurançon vineyards are situated at the foothills south of Pau, where you can visit their cellars and try their increasingly popular whites,rosés and reds. Their sweet white wine is expecially popular as an apératif, being offered at most of the local restaurants. It can also be bought directly from the 'cave' 'en vrac', so take your old empty water bottles and fill them up! Prices start from as little as 0.60 cents per litre.
- BIRD WATCHING - A bird lovers paradise! Eagles, kestrels, kites, ospreys and vultures are a common sight in the Pyrénées and to see them soar the skies in their natural habitat is quite spectacular. You can relax by the sundeck in the garden with your binoculars and see many birds of prey in flight, or go further afield to les Donjon des Aigles and you will find one of the most spectacular aerial displays in Europe. AWESOME!
- WALKING - The main past time of the area, there are so many routes, we have some route maps here, the village has many signposted routes to take, that can take from 90 mins to 6 hrs. Or further afield the Cirque de Lescun is stunning with its circle of mountains, waterfalls and wild horses, you could be gone for days!
- BEACH - A little further afield are the beaches of the South West Coast at Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, take in the surfer's paradise or visit the chic bars and restaurants on the beach. The rugged coastline and awesome waves are quite spectacular to see - well worth a visit.
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
By Plane - Fly to Pau, Les Granges is situated about 45 mins drive from airport.
- Ryanair flights available from Stansted to Pau airport, Biarritz, Lourdes
- Fly to Biarritz, Les Granges is situated 1hr 30 mins from airport
- Ryanair flights available from Stansted, Dublin and Birmingham to Biarritz, Brussels to Pau
- flights to Toulouse - Toulouse airport approx. 2.5 hrs - Easyjet, BMIbaby
- flights vary according to season and airlines change annually. It's always worth checking which flights come in to Pau, Lourdes, Biarritz and slightly further afield, Toulouse, Saragosse, Bilbao and Bordeaux.
By Car - From Calais, autoroute to Paris, Bordeaux, Bayonne, A64 to Pau, J7 to Oloron Ste Marie, D919 Arette, 10 mins to Ance. Approximately 12 hrs drive.
By Ferry - Ferries to St Malo, approximately 8 hrs drive. Britanny Ferries from Portsmouth
- Ferries to Bilbao (Spain), approximately 3 hrs drive from Bilbao. Portsmouth
- Ferries to Cherbourg
Activities near Oloron-Sainte-Marie
Ski resort location
Tennis in town
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
17 Sep 2012
La Belle Grange is a fantastic place to stay. We have been coming back for many years and would thoroughly recommend to ski and cycling enthusiasts as the area boasts many (unknown to Brits) ski resorts and cycling routes in both the French and Spanish Pyrenees. The Tour de France is a regular visitor to this area.
The accommodation is 2nd to none; clean, comfortable, spacious and has all the home from home comforts you can ask for during your stay. Sharon and Clive are delightful hosts offering wonderful self-catering accommodation in a superb region of France. Couldn't recommend more.
05 Sep 2011
We booked all three gites for our party and we all loved it. The properties are spacious, well equiped had a great feel about them with some attractive features.
The pool area is great and the kids loved it. Views from the decking where stunning, especially on a clear day. Could be a few more sunbeds though. Facilities in the garden for the kids where good with plenty of space.
Some briliant drives into the mountains and only 10-20 minutes away.
English TV was available, but often had too weak a signal, likewise the WiFi.
Would definately stay again.
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 4|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|Nov/Dec- Special Offer||5 Nov 12||22 Dec 12||£ 280||£ 75||£ 75||3 Nights|
|Christmas/New Year||22 Dec 12||5 Jan 13||£ 420||-||-||1 Week|
|Jan/Feb/March||5 Jan 13||30 Mar 13||£ 280||£ 75||£ 75||3 Nights|
|April/May||30 Mar 13||1 Jun 13||£ 350||-||-||1 Week|
|June||1 Jun 13||29 Jun 13||£ 420||-||-||1 Week|
|July/August||29 Jun 13||31 Aug 13||£ 700||-||-||1 Week|
|September||31 Aug 13||28 Sep 13||£ 420||-||-||1 Week|
|October||28 Sep 13||2 Nov 13||£ 350||-||-||1 Week|
|Nov/Dec||2 Nov 13||21 Dec 13||£ 280||£ 75||£ 75||3 Nights|
|Prices for group size 6|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|Nov/Dec- Special Offer||5 Nov 12||22 Dec 12||£ 295||£ 85||£ 85||3 Nights|
|Christmas/New Year||22 Dec 12||5 Jan 13||£ 595||-||-||1 Week|
|Jan/Feb/March||5 Jan 13||30 Mar 13||£ 420||£ 75||£ 75||3 Nights|
|April/May||30 Mar 13||1 Jun 13||£ 525||-||-||1 Week|
|June||1 Jun 13||29 Jun 13||£ 595||-||-||1 Week|
|July/August||29 Jun 13||31 Aug 13||£ 840||-||-||1 Week|
|September||31 Aug 13||28 Sep 13||£ 595||-||-||1 Week|
|October||28 Sep 13||2 Nov 13||£ 525||£ 85||£ 85||3 Nights|
|November/December||2 Nov 13||21 Dec 13||£ 420||£ 85||£ 85||3 Nights|
|Prices for group size 8|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|October||6 Oct 12||2 Nov 12||£ 700||£ 100||£ 100||3 Nights|
|Nov/Dec - Special Offer||5 Nov 12||22 Dec 12||£ 350||£ 100||£ 100||3 Nights|
|Christmas/New Year 2012||22 Dec 12||5 Jan 13||£ 700||-||-||1 Week|
|Jan/Feb/March||5 Jan 13||30 Mar 13||£ 560||£ 100||£ 100||3 Nights|
|April/May||30 Mar 13||1 Jun 13||£ 700||£ 100||£ 100||3 Nights|
|June||1 Jun 13||29 Jun 13||£ 750||-||-||1 Week|
|July/August||29 Jun 13||31 Aug 13||£ 1120||-||-||1 Week|
|September||31 Aug 13||28 Sep 13||£ 750||-||-||1 Week|
|October||28 Sep 13||2 Nov 13||£ 700||-||-||1 Week|
|Nov/Dec||2 Nov 13||21 Dec 13||£ 560||£ 100||£ 100||3 Nights|
The property's weekend rates apply to: Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
Our preferred changeover date is Saturday, but we are flexible. Likewise, during July and August, we prefer to rent per week, but we will consider 10 day rentals. 10 day bookings will be charged by the week, plus nightly rate thereafter. Please contact us for further details.
BOOKING FEE - £200 non-returnable deposit payable on booking. For short breaks payment required in full at time of booking.
BREAKABLES DEPOSIT - For weekly holiday lets, 200€ breakables deposit is payable at the time of the final balance. It will be returned within 14 days of the departure date, subject to everything being in order.
CLEANING FEE - An end of stay cleaning fee of £100 is payable with the final balance and will be used if the property is not in good order. If you chose to do the end of stay clean yourself on departure, the cleaning fee will be refunded with your deposit.
MEALS PROVIDED ON ARRIVAL - Why not treat yourself and have a meal prepared for you on arrival. We will have a meal ready for you in your gite, so all you have to do is pop it in the oven! . We can offer 4 courses, menu to suit you with wine and coffee included for 20€ per head. TYPICAL MENU: tomato and mozzarella salad, lasagne, platter of local cheeses and fruit tart.
Breakfast of bread and croissants can be delivered to your door, or treat yourself to some of our eggs!
PAYMENT METHOD - Preferred method of payment is by credit/debit card via Paypal (15€ surcharge added), although we can accept pounds sterling paid direct into a UK bank. Please contact us for details.
WE HAVE 2 OTHER GITES AVAILABLE OFFERING SELF-CONTAINED ACCOMMODATION, SO WE ARE ABLE TO TAKE PARTIES OF UP TO 16, MORE WITH BABIES IN COTS, ETC - PLEASE ENQUIRE FOR FURTHER DETAILS
We can offer individual sleeping arrangements for groups of 6. Contact us.
MOUNTAIN BIKE TOURS NOW AVAILABLE - FROM £295 PER PERSON INC. ALL TRANSFERS, ACCOMMODATION, MEALS, DRINKS, MOUNTAIN BIKE HIRE AND 2 FULL DAYS OF MOUNTAIN BIKING WITH LOCAL GUIDE. FOR GROUPS OF 6+. CONTACT US FOR FURTHER DETAILSBook
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Selected other homes from this advertiser
La Grange in Oloron-Sainte-Marie, France
La Petite Grange in Oloron-Sainte-Marie, France
Les Granges in Oloron-Sainte-Marie, France
Holiday accommodation in France (11,415)