Cottage | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 10
Bramble Barn is set in a complex of listed renovated thatch barns and country cottages. Located in the village of Chillerton in a quiet and peaceful location yet only 4 km from Newport the largest town on the Island. Every amenity, including cinema, ten pin bowling, shopping and restaurants.
3 double/twin bedrooms plus 1 gallery bedrom with one double bed and two singles.and 2 sofa beds in the lounge. The barn sleeps up to twelve and up to ten comfortably without the use of the sofa bed..
The cottage is ideal for families or groups with stunning views over the rolling countryside with plenty in the surrounding area to see and do during your stay.
Car available to use during your stay. Must have own insurance. Very old but very reliable Nissan Primera. Pick up and return to Ryde close to ferry.
|Size||Sleeps up to 10, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Ventnor 4 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car advised, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Southampton 10 km, Nearest railway: Newport 4 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||Central heating, TV, Satellite TV|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms of which 2 Family bathrooms and 1 En suites|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (2), Double beds (4), Cots (1), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 10|
|Access||Parking, Wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
3 double twin/bedrooms and utility room on the ground floor. Huge lounge and dining area and kitchen on first floor. Lare gallery bedroom on second floor with one double bed and two singsles.
Small well behaved pets are accepted. No large dogs.
Linen and towels included. Electricity and gas charges are included.
A £45 cleaning charge will also be made.
10% discount for late bookings - within 2 weeks of rental start.
A deposit of 20% of rental price is required to secure the booking. The balance is due 30 days before date of arrival.
Cancellation Fees. 2 Months or more prior to arrival 100% refunded. 1 Month prior 70% refunded. 2 Weeks 50% refunded 1 Week or less no refund.
£150 Deposit cheque for breakages required in advance - cheque not cashed unless necessary. This will be posted back if no reported damages.
The Isle of Wight region
The Isle Of Wight is situated just off the South Coast of England is one of Britain's finest holiday destinations. Originally made popular by Queen Victoria who had her maritime residence at Osbourne House. The Island is famous for sailing in the Solent; for Cowes Week; for the Round the Island Race, for its beautiful coastline including many sandy beaches and The Needles. It enjoys spectacular countryside and the longest hours of sunshine in England.
The area is famous for its fossils and children and adults can scour the beaches and be almost guaranteed to find fossils from the Jurassic age - as long as they can recognise them
The Isle Of Wight is an ideal destination for visitors of all ages and has lots to offer everyone
Newport, Isle of Wight
Being centrally located Chillerton is an ideal base for exploring the island.
Walking, hang gliding and riding are within 5 mins walk.
The village has a social club open to visitors, a school and a church and chapel. At the right time of the year children can watch the sheep being born and being sheared and even see the llamas in the adjoining field.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
5 Aug 2013
"filthy, run down, rude owner"
We stayed here for a family get together in October 2012. The barn was adjoined by run down repossessed properties, and surrounded by weeds and nettles.We arrived in the dark so were unable to see the… More
3 Jul 2013
"a awful stay"
We booked this barn as a short break with another family, 4 adults and 4 children in all.On arrival we were very shocked to discover that adjoining barns were boarded up, together with over grown gras… More
10 Jun 2013
"Could have been better......"
We stayed in this barn 7-9 June with 8 other members of my family. There are definitely pros and cons to staying at this barn. I will start with the positives:
- the kitchen and living room area are very spacious, open and provide a really comfortable space in which to eat and come together as a family. As there were so many of us, we enjoyed eating together and sitting and chatting at the end of the day
- the location of the barn is relatively close to Newport and therefore all parts of the island were easily accessible
- the views from the first floor of the barn are picturesque, rolling hills from all aspects
There were a number of issues with the barn that proved to be below our expectations:
- as we drove up to the barn,we noticed that the barns next door had been boarded up and I assume had been repossessed - it was not the most welcome site!
- the grass around the barn was long and made it difficult for my children to play - this was a shame as the outdoor area surrounding the barn was very pleasant
- the lack of cleanliness was apparent the moment we walked in. The carpet was heavily marked and stained in all of the communal areas and was especially bad on the stairs and lounge. This immediately created a less favourable impression of the barn.
- after a fairly long trip from London, most of us needed to use the bathroom soon after arrival. It was very disappointing to find there was no toilet paper in the bathrooms - I had expected that at least one roll would have been provided. I have always been to places which have provided some, so I will ensure that I pack some next time in case I have a similar experience!
- there are two bathrooms,one of which is ensuite. With so many of us, that was a little impractical but manageable. The en-suite had a separate shower cubicle and toilet. The showerhead desperately needed to be de-scaled and was difficult to use properly as the water flowed out in a random spray. The shower was also tricky to switch on.
- the other bathroom had a showerbath, however the separate shower hose did not have a wall hook and therefore could not be hung, only held by hand. I don't think it is a big deal to have attached a wall hook on which the shower head could be hung.
- there is a dishwasher, toaster, washing machine etc that has been provided, however for a holiday rental, I feel it still could be better equipped. There was no pepper shaker and no condiments whatsoever. In other similar type rentals I have been provided with some basics,e.g. oil, salt and pepper etc
- there were not enough tea spoons or mugs for 10 people.
- there is a sofa-bed provided which we used one night. However when we opened it up, there was a bed sheet already on it that had a lot of hairs belonging to previous occupants. This was rather off-putting
- there were a number of sofas in the living area which was useful, however they were heavily stained. In the end we had no choice but to use them.
- a number of light bulbs in the living room had not been replaced
Overall, this barn has a lot of potential, however it needs to be better maintained and the carpet desperately needs to be replaced.
25 Jan 2013
"Spacious Modern Thatched Cottage with Great Views"
Two families - 12 of us in all including 8 children loved every minute. Beautiful weather helped. It is so big we had no problems and plenty of privacy. The barn is modern with all mod cons including satellite TV although not the movie channels etc. The views are of rolling open counryside from virtually all the windows and there are loads of windows. The children loved the llamas and sheep in the adjoining fields. We now plan to visit twice a year. Couldn't rate it higher.
29 Jun 2012
"Awful - worst place I have ever stayed in"
Some of the more serious issues:
• the damp on the bedroom ceiling (breathing difficulties caused by this)
• the water pooling on the bedroom floor - the smell from the bedroom is truly noxious
• the infestation of insects, spiders, woodlice etc. (a byproduct of the damp and negligence of the property)
• the decking outside the bedroom, with loose boards and nails - a serious safety risk for our children playing outside
• the unfinished work outside the bedroom
• the water mains supply in a blue hosepipe exposed to the elements
• the front of the property with broken lights (no outside lighting is clearly another safety issue) and vents, overgrown weeds and nettles and boarded up windows - not exactly as described on the website.
Otherwise when we arrived there were many other issues including washing machine and dishwasher not working, shower door not fitted, most of the bulbs broken, cutlery and plates not washed, oven not cleaned, cobwebs - essentially a disaster zone.
No compensation forthcoming from landlord of course, who never visited in spite of repeated calls.
10 Sep 2011
"Didn't live up to advertisement!"
We stayed at this holiday home for a week with 3 very young children. The house itself was pleasant and well equipped (apart from a lack of a highchair) but it was the areas outside which really let it down.
On the advertisement it shows lovely gardens and a patio area, but in reality there was large thistles and nettles everywhere making it impossible for the children to play outside and meant we were unable to actually get to the patio area without getting stung! Even if we could have made it that far the patio furniture was rusty and too dirty to sit on anyway.
In the car port was what looked like a junk yard! An assortment of old chairs, a washing machine, an old sofa and old beer cans etc. And there was also rubbish bags in the bushes outside the house.
It was such a shame as the location and the property itself was lovely, and the landlord has been very flexible about dates etc. However we paid premium price for what didn't turn out to be a premium property.
I have contacted the owner by phone to express my concern about him advertising this property as suitable for families but he has since failed to return any of my emails having been sent the photographs several times.
Pay online via the Holiday Lettings payment platform with your credit/debit card or your PayPal account to be covered by Payment Protection. Learn more
You're booking with
- 5 Years listed
70% Response rate
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- 117 properties
- 112 properties
- 75 properties
- Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
- 64 properties
- 56 properties
- 55 properties
- 50 properties
- Newport, Isle of Wight
- 24 properties
- St Helens, Isle of Wight
- 17 properties
- 15 properties
- 14 properties
- 10 properties
- Whitwell, Isle of Wight
- 10 properties
- 10 properties
- 8 properties
- Thorness Bay
- 8 properties
- 7 properties
- 7 properties
- Gurnard, Isle of Wight
- 7 properties
- Brighstone Bay
- 6 properties