Moulin de Lhomont
Watermill | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 8
The Moulin de Lhomont is a restored, rustic watermill situated in the heart of the Bresse region in Southern Burgundy peacefully set between the mountains, lakes and waterfalls of the stunning Jura region on the one side and one of the powerhouses of French winemaking, Burgundy’s Côte D’Or, on the other.
Tastefully decorated to a high standard the Mill can comfortably accommodate groups of up to 8 in spacious bedrooms with a modern kitchen, underfloor heating, exposed stone work, wood burning fire, outdoor terrace with table for 10, pizza oven and barbecue, balcony overlooking a gently flowing river and many original features from its prior working day as a flour mill.
The Mill itself and its location provides a peaceful base from which to explore the Burgundy wine regions & Jura Mountain regions as well as cities such as Lyon, Dijon and Geneva, all in all offering a multitude of outdoor activities, restaurants, vineyards, chateaux, markets and sites of religious and historical interest.
The nearby village of Montpont-en-Bresse (2mins by car) supplies basic provisions such as bakery, butcher, pharmacy, bar and bank whilst slightly further a field is Louhans (10mins) with its 157 boutiques housed in 15th century buildings and famous agricultural market, or the hypermarkets and bustling city atmosphere of Chalon-Sur-Saône and Macôn (both 40mins).
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 4 bedrooms|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Lyon, Geneva or Grenoble 120 km, Nearest railway: Louhans / Tournus or Le Creusot for TGV 10 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for children over 5|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Table tennis, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (2), Double beds (3), Dining seats for 10, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Private fishing lake or river|
|Further details indoors|
Large rustic dining table for 10
Luxury linen / duvets / pillows
UK & French TV
Multi region DVD player
Stereo with MP3 input
|Further details outdoors|
Car parking for up to 4 cars.
Large outdoor dining table for 10 on the terrace.
Stone BBQ and pizza oven.
Balcony overlooking the river which faces into one beautiful sunset.
"A lovely place to stay - our second visit and probably not our last."
Smith family, Australia
"What a magical place! We've had a delightful week exploring Burgundy from this wonderful home base. We enjoyed our day trips to Brancion, Baume-les-Messieurs (lunch by the falls was a treat and the caves were fantastic!) and Cluny. Our favourite part of each day though was returning to the cosy mill in time to watch the sunset from the terrace"
The Whitman's from Seattle, Washington via Bonn, Germany.
"We just love it here! Been to Burgundy before and loved it. Spent some time exploring the Jura this time - Chateau Chalon, Arbois, Louis Pasteur house and Poligny. Loved shopping at Tournus Saturday market for picnic by the river Saone."
Susan, Jim, Kevin, Steve - Chicago, Il, USA
"We leave (reluctantly) with many happy memories, including the beautiful hospice at Beaune, the cascades at Herrison and seeing an amazing European honey buzzard in nearby fields !"
The Watson family - Chichester, Uk
"A very good week in your lovely house. Our highlights were the two lakes - the swimming lake up the road where our two teenagers were paid back every day for their patience with sightseeing and Lake Vouglans where we swam and hired bikes (just south of pretty village Orgelet. Worth taking the back roads back for some unspoilt villages and scenery). Wildlife performed brilliantly - eagles, kestrels and herons all visited."
The Parker family - Ilkley, Yorkshire
"Many thanks for making our late summer sojourn at the mill such a memorable experience. We've thoroughly enjoyed sampling the gastronomic delights of Bresse and Burgundy, and exploring the rich variety of settlements and landscapes of the area."
Hilary and Peter - Pavenham, Beds UK
"A big thank you for sharing this delightful mill. Every day we went exploring and wish there had been more time. We did do the Grand Cru wine route as well as visited Beaune, Macon, Nuits St Georges and Louhans. Perhaps most memorable will be ending the day with our sausage, cheese & fruit plate with the "wine of the day" that we would have picked up during the day of exploring. Excellent directions and advertisements in the Rental Handbook."
Karen & Vicki - Colorado, USA
"Our visit here far exceeded our expectations. Your home had everything we needed. Every morning we took a long walk to the boulangerie either in Montpont or Chapelle Thecle. We loved our visits to the book village, Cuisery; the markets in Louhans and Tournus; the waterfalls, Cascades du Herisson; and much more. Most of all you made us feel at home-your hospitality, advice, and careful attention to details was invaluable."
Bonnie, Rob & Rebecca, Maryland, USA ( March 2010)
"Thanks for a wonderful week in your charming Moulin. It really is an idyllic setting and Burgundy has been the highlight of our time in France."
The Mack family, B.C. Canada (May 2010)
"Had a fantastic holiday, with great food and wine. Not our first trip to Burgundy but definitely the most relaxing. Wildlife is great. Walking around the area is good. Restaurants - especially liked ‘Aux Terrasses’ in Tournus and ‘Le Bistro’ in Chalon sur Saone. Loved the mill, especially seeing the sunset from the balcony."
Sue & Richard, Manchester, UK (July 2010)
"A beautiful, peaceful location to spend two weeks exploring Burgundy and the mountains. The Moulin is a lovely home – your degree of attentiveness and care for detail is much appreciated and welcomed. Happy holidays to all those who follow us, you will love it!"
Mark, Sylvie, Alice & Emile, Solihull, UK & Marie-Denise, Paris (August 2010)
"We have enjoyed our stay here tremendously! We loved every single second. The moments in the garden with sunshine, champagne and laughter will forever be embedded in our hearts. For making four stressed, overworked girls from South Africa feel so amazingly blessed – we thank you!"
Adine, Shelley, Susi & Rina, Johannesburg (Sept 2010)
"This is a lovely spot and a beautiful part of France. We felt we were staying in a friend’s home rather than a rental property. Thanks for all the tips, suggestions and directions-they made our stay that much more enjoyable."
The Murrays, Barbados and Bristol (Sept 2010)
"You've made it very easy to stay here - felt at home immediately. Everything so spacious and comfortable. We usually had our main meal at lunch whilst out and we quickly found there was no better place to have a light supper than the terrace watching the sun set! We will recommend the house to any of our American friends who yearn for real French country life but with all the luxuries. With luck, we will be back"
Chris/Linda - California
"Thank you so much for the great accommodation!"
Kevin (and fellow cyclists) - Vancouver
"We had wonderful weather in October and enjoyed being able to have a fire in the evening. My sister said Burgundy was the one place she would return to in France! Thanks for your wonderful organisation. We really enjoyed our stay in the mill."
Di - Brisbane
"Thank you so much for letting us stay, it was so lovely, I am in love with the place! It really is beautiful. I went and sat in the field with a drink for a good hour and a half, just looking back at the mill and it was just so calm and quiet." Claire - Reading UK.
"Moulin de Lhomont is even better than the photographs! Very comfortable and well equipped for a holiday. Love the fact that it is delightfully rural yet within easy reach of lots of interesting places to visit. Look forward to longer stay to sample more local restaurants tho' supper on the balcony watching the sunset will take some beating as a venue! Beaune is beautiful. You have created a great holiday home - a short visit this time but I will be back soon!" Fran - East Grinstead, UK.
"First visit to Burgundy - what a wonderful place it is - had such a good time. The Moulin de Lhmont is beautiful, so well equipped, gorgeous decor, luxurious bedlinen/towels. Highlights - Herisson Falls in Jura Mountains, loved Tournus, Chalon sur Saone, market at Louhans. After 2 weeks of 'chilling' now ready to face 'everyday life'. Thanks Trish for making us so welcome."
Sally & Peter -Battle, UK.
"Our first time visiting Burgundy and loved it! Loved exploring farms and hamlets, watching various things being harvested. Created our own local walks, explored the Jura and Maconnais wine area but liked being local the best. A perfect location."
Dick/Hilary - Boston, USA & Martin/Rosemary - Norfolk, UK
"Fantastic 2 weeks. Idyllic setting - wonderful soft furnishings & rustic fittings. BBQ & pizza oven worked a treat. Enjoyed watching wild life from the balcony with a glass (or two) of Burgundy!!"
George/Andy & Dan/Amy - Stratford on Avon, UK
"We know Burgundy but our first time to SE area - What a delight it has been. Enjoyed this fine house. Explored pretty villages and found excellent food. Pride of place must go to the Creuze in Tournus for a fantastic Sunday lunch. Sunday food market in Chalon was excellent. I hope to return to this most peaceful house and continue my exploration of this unique and beautiful area."
Peter/Lisa - Herts, UK
"We have arrived back safe & sound from our second stop in Bordeaux. We much preferred Burgundy, due in no small part to the accommodation. You have a delightful property and we could well come back again soon with some friends who are into fine wine as well."
Glen & Bogunia - Bedford, UK
The Burgundy region
• Burgundy is primarily known as a land of fine food and wines but has so much more to offer visitors. The lush regional parks of the Morvan forests and the lakes and waterfalls of the Jura mountains, its canals and cycleways, its exceptional Roman and medieval heritage....they all help create a relaxing and stress free holiday.
• Burgundy’s wine region, arguably one of the most influential in the world, stretches south from Dijon towards Lyon taking in the many wine making villages of the Côte D’Or, Côte Chalonnaise, Côte Maconnaise and Beaujolais wines. All the villages, as well as many of the chateaux themselves, are easily accessible by car or by local expert led wine tours. For wine lovers a trip to Burgundy would not be the same without a visit to Chablis, Meursault, Vosne-Romanée, Corton or the Montrachet villages or a trip following one of the three local wine routes, Routes des Grand Cru, Route des Grands Vins de Bourgogne or the Routes des vins Maconnais-Beaujolais.
• Matching the Bourgogne passion for wines is its passion for fine gastronomy, with Burgundy carrying more Michelin starred restaurants than any other region. Within 40kms of the Mill you’ll find seven different Michelin starred restaurants (one of which is a three star) and countless local restaurants all serving their interpretations of the local Poulet de Bresse, Charolais beef, escargots or Mont D’Or cheese as well as the ubiquitous Coq au Vin and Boeuf Bourguignon. If simply eating the local food is not enough there are also a variety of cookery schools to refine your skills.
• Summer - Burgundy usually has warm or hot summers with a continental feel to them without some of the searing high temperatures of the south of France although there were some 30+'s sneaking in throughout 2006. Generally the summer months are warm and dry, with rainfall averaging 6 cm per month in July and August.
• Spring / Autumn - A pleasant amount of sun with some scattered showers (8cm average rainfall) and temperatures in the mid 20's.
• Within 15mins drive from the Mill is a filtered swimming lake and activity centre offering fishing, boating, outdoor table tennis & table football, trim trails, volleyball, skateboard / rollerblade park and a shop & cafe.
• Local markets in the area are plentiful with the Monday market in Louhans being a huge focal point for the area where locals seem to come to socialise as much as shop.
• Tennis courts are available in nearby Romenay (5mins) and Louhans (10mins)
• Lyon, Dijon, Chalon-Sur-Saône, Autun, Cluny and Beaune are all steeped in history and local architecture and make for fascinating visits as does Tournus, a prestigious Romanesque city set on the Saône river which has one of the most visited sights in Burgundy, the 11th and 12th century Saint Philibert Abbey.
• For the more energetic or for those with children there are the incredible Jura Mountains which provide a beautiful mountain, lake and waterfall filled setting for walking, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, horse riding, cross country skiing, climbing, fishing, swimming, sailing along with numerous activity centres. (http://jura-tourisme.com)
• Cycling & rollerblading is possible along the 100kms of dedicated greenways in Burgundy, named Voies Vertes, made from either canal towpaths or former railway lines. Bike and rollerblade hire is readily available in the area or on the Voies Vertes themselves as are canoes along the canals and rivers for quick change of scene.
• Golf – 6 golf courses around the local region with multi course passes available.
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
19 Apr 2013
"Great base to explore the delights of Burgundy"
My wife and I stayed at the mill for 10 days. Overall we had a wonderful time as it allowed us to unwind and relax and then get out and about in Burgundy. The best parts: a totally unique setting wi… More
3 Nov 2012
I have just come back from a wonderful week in the moulin!the place is incredible and the Moulin is a fantastic place very nicely decorated and very comfortable. Trish the owner of the Moulin is a ver… More
You're booking with
- 7 Years listed
95% Response rate
Based in Switzerland
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site
- 107 properties
- 27 properties
- 26 properties
- 16 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- 8 properties
- 8 properties
- Saint Amour
- 7 properties
- Les Rousses
- 7 properties
- 6 properties