The Old Butchers House
from £65 /night help
House | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 4
This beautiful three storey Grade Two listed Georgian House is situated in the middle of the Monmouth conservation area within a two minute walk of the town centre and the river. The path alongside the river is part of the Wye Valley walk. The more energetic can walk to Symonds Yat about 4 miles away where there is a selection of riverside pubs. In the town itself there are a number of restaurants and pubs full of character, together with a Waitrose supermarket and any number of individual little shops. Monmouth in 2014 was identified by the Sunday Times as the third most desirable place to live in Britain. It is surrounded by the delightful rolling Monmouthshire countryside, the quaint towns of Abergavenny, Usk and Raglan are within a twenty minute journey and Cardiff is less than an hour away. The house itself is luxuriously appointed and has a separate kitchen, dining room, lounge, bathroom, two bedrooms and a downstairs cloakroom. We are completely flexible over dates however there is a minimum stay of two nights which increases to three for bank holiday weekends, Christmas and New Year. All linen and towels are included in the price. Full gas central heating is installed throughout the house. Although you are not likely to need it an extra touch of luxury is the electric under blanket. The house is Ideal for two adults and two children, four adults can be accommodated. There are two bicycles available, ideal for cycling along the Wye Valley River path. Wi-fi is available throughout the house.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||60 km|
|Will consider||Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (2), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
The Monmouthshire region
South East Wales is the perfect holiday destination. Mountains, lakes, rivers and rolling countryside abound with fabulous towns and villages waiting to be discovered. There is no better place to discover the rich cultural heritage of the border region.
Monmouth, according to the Sunday Times, the third best place to live in Britain is situated on the River Wye with the beauty of the Royal Forest of Dean to the east and the Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons to the west. It is the perfect setting for country walks, pubs by the river and the majestic scenery of the lower Wye Valley. The quaint towns of Abergavenny, Ross on Wye and Usk are barely twenty minutes away by car with Cardiff less than an hour away. A four mile walk or drive takes you to the beautiful Symons Yat with its riverside pubs, cable ferry and for the more energetic canoeing. There is also a pleasure boat making short trips along the river. Two bicycles are available free of charge at the house for leisurely rides beside the river.
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Very Good 4/5
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
25 Oct 2014
When we received the welcome pack I was disappointed that the pictured log burner & fire place pictured are not currently useable & there was no mention of the two bikes that are mentioned in the desc… More
I'm disappointed that these issues weren't raised on arrival, I would have attempted to rectify. I will try to address each point in turn:
1. I had only just taken the bicycles to Monmouth and they were not mentioned in the Welcome Pack sent to the guest a couple of weeks in advance of the stay but were in the hard copy left out in the kitchen
2. As there were only two guests I only left two mugs out with the complementary tea and coffee.
3. The electric blanket is in the bedroom wardrobe. I will add this to the Welcome Pack.
4. I thought that the bedding in the second bedroom did match, it was bought as a set. Perhaps it is a matter of taste!
5. The spare chair is now in the dining room as it is only usually required if there are more than two guests.
6. Heating system now upgraded. Heating will be on when the guests arrive in colder weather. It does shut off by default at 10.30 but can be easily overridden on the thermostat as the engineer explained to the guest. It was fitted while the guest was there and I gave them a bottle of good wine to compensate for the inconvenience.
7. Photos now upgraded showing, I think, that the property has improved since the initial photos owing to upgraded dining furniture etc.
8. Fair point regarding the lights in the second bedroom. I reading light will be added.
9. I am surprised that the guest found the bathroom dirty. Had this been raised on arrival I would have course cleaned it again. I had in fact cleaned it myself the previous evening.
As a general point I wish that these issues had been raised on arrival. I could then have addressed them to avoid the enjoyment of the holiday being compromised.
28 Jun 2014
"As good as its sister property in Hay-on-Wye"
This charming, characterful cottage is a great place to stay. Having stayed at the owner's other property in Hay-on-Wye earlier in the month, my expectations were high,and I was not disappointed! The property has been furnished tastefully, fully in keeping with a listed Georgian house. Although it is relatively small, the space has been well utilised
and comprehensively equipped. It is a quiet haven in the middle of the conservation area, yet within a two minute walk of the shops, pubs and restaurants of the town and the river walk. I was worried that parking would be an issue. However, the main town car park is only 150 yards away, so parking turned out to be no issue.
You're booking with
85% Response rate
Calendar last updated:28 Jan 2015
Based in United Kingdom
- 1861 properties
- 1131 properties
- 966 properties
- 646 properties
- Southern Wales
- 579 properties
- 511 properties
- 451 properties
- 365 properties
- 334 properties
- 319 properties
- 98 properties
- 57 properties
- West Midlands
- 51 properties