from £35 /night help
Studio | No Bedrooms | sleeps 2
* Set at the top of beautiful Shapridge Hill at the end of a quiet track, Little Owl is the perfect romantic getaway. Ideal for walkers and nature lovers, footpaths lead from the front door onto a vast network of Forest paths and tracks, you can literally walk for miles!
• The studio benefits from a large wildlife garden with its own birdhide and excellent views. Feeders are provided with plenty of nuts and seeds for you to top them up if you wish. If you love wildlife, you will love the garden, for example watching the swallows skimming the surface of the pond for insects in summer and witnessing the house martins mobbing a hobby overhead! .
• The accomadation is all on one level with open plan kitchen, lounge, dining and bedroom areas, and a spacious shower room. Heating is provided by a modern and efficient storage heater, and there is also an electric log burner in the lounge area and a heated towel radiator in the bathroom. The studio is very ecofriendly as it has high-spec insulation and the electricty is provided by the solar panels on our own house. There is no additional charge therefore for heating or electricity.
• There are many outdoor activities available in the Forest; hire a canoe or a kayak and paddle down the Wye, or a mountain bike and take to the cycle tracks which lead you through mile after mile of beautiful woodland. For those who enjoy fishing, there is also a Forest of Dean Angling Club fishing permit for use at 6 lakes included in the rental cost. (www.fodac-online.org.uk)
• For those interested in history, within half an hour there are the Dean Heritage Centre and the border castles of Chepstow and Goodrich to name but a few. A bit further afield Hereford cathedral where you can view the famous Mappa Mundi, Tewkesbury Abbey and Gloucester Cathedral are well worth the visit.
• Within an hour's drive you could also take in the Cotswolds, The Brecon Beacons, or the Malvern Hills.
• Mitcheldean is the nearest town 3 miles away, providing a small supermarket, Post Office, Butcher's, Green Grocer's, Fish & Chip Shop / Chinese takeaway and Chemist's. There is a wider variety of shops and facilities at Cinderford, 5 miles away.
*PLEASE NOTE THAT ACCESS TO ALL OUR RENTALS IS VIA A SINGLE TRACK UNMADE ROAD. (In bad weather there can be some bad potholes)
|Size||Sleeps up to 2, Studio|
|Will consider||Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||5 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Bristol 68 km, Nearest railway: Gloucester 23 km|
|Family friendly||Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Clothes dryer, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Washing machine|
|Rooms||1 bathrooms of which 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Double beds (1), Dining seats for 2, Lounge seats for 3|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
Access to the studio is via three steps, then the interior accomodation is all on one level. .There is one designated parking space no more than 10 metres from the front door. There is a gravelled level pathway from the parking space to the accomodation and is therefore suitable for those with restricted mobility, although not wheelchair users owing to the steps.
Although the studio is part of our new build, and above our own garage, the accomodation is totally private having it's own front door from the neighbouring Shapridge Common. The property benefits from a number of large velux
windows (with blinds) providing plenty of light and a single glazed door.
There is a fitted kitchen with breakfast bar. There is a large flatscreen TV and Blu Ray DVD
PLEASE NOTE THAT ACCESS TO ALL OUR RENTAL PROPERTIES IS DOWN A SINGLE TRACK UNMADE ROAD (In bad weather there can be some bad potholes).
Please note that this is a rural area and broadband tends to be super slow rather than super fast!
|Further details outdoors|
Please note that the wildlife garden is located about 50 metres downhill from the studio via a rough track. However there is a garden bench outside on the common where you will be able to enjoy a cup of tea, a glass of wine or read a book and soak up the morning sunshine.
The wildlife garden has a picnic bench for the use of guests as well as a birdhide and birdfeeding station. Guests are welcome to top up the feeders so there is always something to see.
A BBQ is available upon request.
The Gloucestershire region
The Forest of Dean is an extensive area of ancient woodland stretching from Mitcheldean in the East as far west as the River Wye and south to the banks of the Severn. The region is rich in flora and fauna, and is beautiful in springtime when the woods are adorned with successive carpets of wild daffodils (Newent), bluebells and wood anenomes. Early morning or dusk are the best times of day to spot some of the wildlife including fallow deer and wild boar. For avid bird lovers the Forest of Dean is a joy, with the possibility of spotting the goshawks at New Fancy View, the peregrine falcons at Symmonds Yat Rock, dippers nesting in the banks of a stream or the pied flycatchers which make their nests in the hollowed out trunk of an oak tree. In summer be sure to look out for the many and varied butterflies which reside in the Forest including the white admiral, purple hairstreak and sliver washed fritillary.
The Forest is an undulating landscape and your walks may well be accompanied by the sound of a stream babbling along a valley bottom as well as strident birdsong. There are many views to be admired from the hill tops across Forest and rivers, towards the Malvern Hills or to the Welsh Mountains across the border. Try May Hill for the best vantage point over the Forest!
There is plenty to do in the local area! Here are some examples;
• The sculpture trail at Beechenhurst Lodge
• Puzzlewood - an old open cast mine reclaimed by the landscape
• The family cycle trail / trails for more advanced riders.
* Fishing with the Forest of Dean Angling Club (permit provided for free)
• Canoe/kayak hire available at various points along the River Wye
• The Dean Heritage Centre, museum and cafe with walks into the Forest from the centre
• Goodrich Castle, dating back to the 11th century perched on a hilltop above the River Wye
• Tintern Abbey , majestic ruins of a Cistercian abbey the banks of the river Wye
• Westons cider, find out about cider making and taste the various different ciders on offer
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
28 Dec 2014
"Excellent base for exploring the area"
The studio has everything you could possibly need for a few days stay. Really considerate of your dog, with blankets and towels provided if you forget to take your own. Some really nice touches made w… More
It's great that you enjoyed your stay in Little Owl this Christmas. We have two pooches of our own and so we know what makes a great stay for a dog and what we would like for our own dogs when we go away. After all it is your dog's holiday too! If you have any suggestions of what else we could provide to make your dog's stay more enjoyable, we would be happy to hear it!
19 Dec 2014
If you want to get away from it for some peace and quite this is the place for you. Lovely walking from the front door, with some good guides from the owners. Very clean, lovely and warm, owners can… More
Thank you for your appreciative comments. We are hoping to note the directions for some more local walks which should be ready for your next stay! We look forward to seeing you again then!
6 Nov 2014
"A bijou hideaway in a magical setting."
Enjoyed three nights at 'Little Owl', the perfect getaway for two to go. Excellent instructions from the hosts, which meant that the cottage was very easy to find despite arriving in the dark, with a very atmospheric drive along a bumpy track on the last leg. In a rural setting with quite spectacular views, the cottage is well situated, in easy reach of the beautiful forest of dean and with walks right on your doorstep. The most impressive thing about this bijou studio apartment is the way it has been set out - small, it non-the less feels spacious, with designated areas for bed-room, kitchen-diner, lounge and shower-room. A modern extension, the apartment is in the roof-space of an out-building and a cosy nest-up-in the roof effect. It is very well equipped, with all the kitchen utensils you can need, and very thoughtful touches like a local map, torch and tray for muddy boots! For three nights, we paid much less than we would have paid at the bed and breakfast we were originally thinking at staying at, and enjoyed the sense of freedom self-catering offers. If you are someone who needs the internet as a security blanket you may find the WiFi connection a problem - I couldn't connect at all while we where there - but in such a magical place who needs it! Quality and very good value accommodation. We are looking forward to returning in warmer months so we can sit out on the bench on the porch and enjoy a glass of wine!
Thank you for your fantastic comments about your stay in Little Owl Studio. We are so glad that you had a great time and like the accommodation. We are sorry that you were unable to connect to the wi-fi during your stay. It is usually working, although admittedly it can be rather slow, this being a rural area. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!
3 Nov 2014
"Lovely accommodation in a beautiful part of the country!"
The studio apartment is lovely for a getaway. It was incredibly clean and well equipped. The hosts seemed to have thought of everything to make the stay as enjoyable as possible. The location is beaut… More
We're really glad you liked Little Owl and the Forest of Dean, we love it here too! Thank you very much for your appreciative comments.
28 Sep 2014
"Cosy, well equipped cottage in a peaceful setting"
Little Owl is the perfect base for exploring the Forest of Dean, and further afield if you wish. The cottage is open plan so it feels quite spacious inside, considering its actual size. It is very wel… More
Thank you for your kind comments. Little Owl is in fact a bit of a "Tardis". It was lovely to meet you both and we hope to see you again one day in the future.
31 Mar 2014
"Little Owl is a Little Gem"
Lovely little place to stay in the Forest of Dean. Plenty of great countryside to take in on the door step. Little Owl is a small but practical and well thought out accommodation. Cosy and welcoming.… More
Thank you for your comments we are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
21 Mar 2014
"Love this place."
This is was our 4th visit to Little Owl and we never get tired of it. It's lovely to just switch off and chill out in this glorious place. Lovely walks on the door step for us and our dog to enjoy. Little Owl itself is a lovely retreat, comfortable and with every thing you need. Very warm in the winter months and lovely to go to bed in the summer months and see the stars through the window in the roof. If you want a lovely quite place to chill out and recharge the batteries then this is the place. Already looking forward to our next visit.
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We always look forward to seeing you and your dog too!
10 Feb 2014
"Lovely, peaceful retreat"
Lovely little studio, with brilliant use of space. Feels so spacious inside and was lovely and warm. Great base to explore the forest, and definitely would recommend a car to get the most out of the s… More
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and like our studio! We love to welcome you back again one day!
22 Aug 2013
"Best holiday stay ever"
The views are fantastic. We arrived on a rainy night, and the fog in distance on top of the mountain was simply beautiful. The next a few days were sunny, we therefore enjoyed a different scenery. We … More
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted that you had such a good stay in Little Owl and look forward to welcoming you back.
18 Jul 2013
"Another great, relaxing stay at Little Owl."
Our second stay at Little Owl and didn't disappoint us. Very relaxing! The peace and quiet is amazing. Did plenty of walks with our dog who loves the place. Looking forward to our next visit to s… More
So pleased you like our new addition to Dean Cottages and you have seen it in a variety of weathers! Looking forward to seeing you all again.
You're booking with
- 3 Years listed
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:28 Jan 2015
Based in United Kingdom
- Visit site
- 1861 properties
- 1131 properties
- 966 properties
- 646 properties
- Southern Wales
- 579 properties
- 511 properties
- 451 properties
- 365 properties
- 334 properties
- 323 properties
- 319 properties
- 98 properties
- 57 properties
- West Midlands
- 51 properties
- 6 properties