About the home
Kestrel Cottage stands next to Brail Vista and is accessed by the main drive in a rural location between Great Bedwyn and Crofton, on the edge of Savernake Forest, with endless country walks, and a wide variety of wildlife.
Large comfortable lounge with 3 piece suite, bed settee, coffee table, two bookcases with plenty of books to read and games for the children, TV with Freeview Sky channels, DVD, stereo with CD, radio and a gas coal effect fire to keep you cosy.
Fully fitted and equipped for six people the kitchen/dining room has a built in oven and hob, fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher, also a microwave oven, toaster, kettle and radio. Matching pine table, chairs and sideboard.
Comfortable double bedroom with king size bed and storage space, a good size twin room, a fold up bed, travel cot and high chair available in the cottage.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 6, 2 bedrooms|
|Will consider:||Short breaks|
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Unsuitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||May take pets - please enquire|
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Internet access, DVD player|
|General:||Central heating, TV, CD player, Satellite TV, Wi-fi available|
|Standard:||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities:||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||2 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 family bathroom and 1 shower room|
|Furniture:||Sofabeds (1), Single beds (2), Double beds (1), Cots (1), Dining seating for 6, Lounge seating for 6|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
Further details indoors:
All elecricity, gas, oil and linen included in price.
Shops and pubs 1 mile.
Further details outdoors:
There is an enclosed paved and gravel garden area round the cottage with garden furniture from where you can enjoy the views over beautiful open coutnryside.
Use of three acre paddock beside cottage for ball games etc.
There is parking area for up to 4 cars in front of the cottage.
Well behaved pets welcome by prior arrangement
The Central Southern England / Wiltshire region
The cottage is in an ideal location for touring the area with places like Longleat Safari Park, Cirencester Water Park, Bowood House, Stourhead Gardens, The Hawk Conservancy nr Andover, the South Coast and many, many more.
The Marlborough / Great Bedwyn area
* The Kennet & Avon Canal runs close by with beautiful walks along the tow path; take a gentle walk to Great Bedwyn where you will find the local Bakery, which sells its own freshly made bread. Take a ten minute walk in the other direction to Crofton Pumping Station, the oldest working Beam Engines in the world. There are many interesting sights to see and things to do along the canal. Caen Hill flight of 29 locks at Devizes is well worth a visit. There are plenty of inns close by the canal along the way where you can refresh yourself.
* Narrow boat trips are available from nearby Hungerford and Pewsey.
* Great Bedwyn is on the Wiltshire Cycleway; there are many cycle routes in the Wiltshire Downs area which links to the Ridge Way Path.
* The area is rich in history, with such sites as Avebury Stone Circle, Kennet Long Barrow, Silbury Hill, St Martin's Chapel at nearby Chisbury , the working Windmill at Wilton (see the Wilton Windmill web site for more information) and the not so ancient Crop Circles which appear on the Marlborough and Pewsey Downs from time to time. In 2010 a crop circle appered next to the Windmill at Wilton, there was also one in a field near Great Bedwyn.
* The village of Great Bedwyn which is an area of outstanding natural beauty has a village shop, post office, baker, garage (no pumps) and two pubs. The pretty village of Wilton with its duck pond and the Swan Inn at its centre is just a 20 to 30 minuet walk along the canal towpath and aournd Wilton Water or over the roman road. The attractive historic town of Marlborough is 7 miles to the west with many shops, tea rooms, pubs and restaurants.
* Hungerford lies 5 miles to the east with a variety of antique shops to browse in. For a larger selection of shops and amenities there are the towns of Swindon, with its Railway museum and designer outlet shopping centre, the market town of Newbury and the lovely old town of Bath is approximately one hours drive west along the A4.
*There is a main line railway that runs past the cottage and station in Great Bedwyn with direct access to London Paddington in approximately one hour. There is also the occasional steam train passing by on its way to the west country.
Please check location map.
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
Activities near Marlborough
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
02 Mar 2012
Kestrel Cottage provided excellent accommodation for our family of 5 when we visited in February.
The property has everything you need (and more) for a family to stay.
Mary and Martin are excellent hosts with nothing too much trouble.
The location of the property is ideal for walks along the canal and as a base for touring the area. Plenty to see and do in Wiltshire and the south coast just over an hour away. We also went to London for the day which our boys loved.
All in all, a very good break for the week, several days out and a nice, comfortable, clean house as well. Would recommend to all.
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 6|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|Easter||23 Mar 13||6 Apr 13||£ 540||-||-||1 Week|
|Mid Low Season||6 Apr 13||25 May 13||£ 495||-||-||4 Nights|
|Half Term||25 May 13||1 Jun 13||£ 535||-||-||1 Week|
|Mid season||1 Jun 13||29 Jun 13||£ 560||-||-||4 Nights|
|High Mid Season||29 Jun 13||20 Jul 13||£ 635||-||-||1 Week|
|High Season||20 Jul 13||31 Aug 13||£ 720||-||-||1 Week|
|High Mid Season||31 Aug 13||28 Sep 13||£ 525||-||-||1 Week|
|Mid Season||28 Sep 13||26 Oct 13||£ 460||-||-||4 Nights|
|Half Term||26 Oct 13||2 Nov 13||£ 520||-||-||1 Week|
|Low Season||2 Nov 13||21 Dec 13||£ 355||-||-||4 Nights|
|Christmas & New Year||21 Dec 13||4 Jan 14||£ 720||-||-||1 Week|
The property's weekend rates apply to: Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
Refundable £80 security deposit required with final balance payment to cover any damage or excess cleaning. This deposit is returnable on departure.
We accept payments by cheque, PayPal or Direct Bank TransferEnquire now
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Contact the owner
* Required fields
Please check the following errors:
6 years listed
You are contacting
The owner is based in the United Kingdom and has advertised with Holiday Lettings since 2006. This cottage has received 1 review from previous guests.
Verified property owner
This owner has been verified by our team
Payment for this home can be made directly to the owner.
Selected other homes from this advertiser
No. 1 Mason's Yard in Marlborough, England
No. 2 Mason's Yard in Marlborough, England
No.3 Mason's Yard in Marlborough, England
Holiday homes in England (21,115)