House | 3 bedrooms | sleeps 8
Elaia is in the Nicosia area, in the village of Lythrodontas, a picturesque village on the eastern edge of Troodos with a backdrop of hills and mountains with pine trees, olive trees and aromatic wild herbs.
Elaia is just a hundred metres from the leafy village square, yet tucked away to offer a secluded, private courtyard with upper and lower patios, quality patio furniture, peaceful, and beautiful with its scented jasmines and other Mediterranean plants.
The courtyard is completely private and yet you can mingle with the friendly village people in the kafeneion in the village square just a minute's walk away
The balconies offer another spot to retreat and relax with mountain views.
Accommodation is spacious and is ideal for groups of friends as well as families. Children can have lots of fun with supervision as the house is exciting and so different for them. Please note there are balconies and stairs around the property.
There is very easy access to amenities including a well stocked supermarket, eating places and takeaways. The village has also a doctor, a chemist and a petrol station.
|Size||Sleeps up to 8, 3 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Larnaca 35 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||300 m|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Larnaca 35 km, Nearest railway: N/A|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Air conditioning, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms of which 3 En suites and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (4), Double beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 8, Lounge seats for 8|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
The house is set around the secluded courtyard and comprises:
- a large sitting room – a restored room with original features of high ceiling and beams, stone arch and a frieze. Comfortable lounge suite and cable TV.
- a fully fitted and well equipped modern kitchen and large dining area with table for 8 people. Also adjacent toilet and utility room.
- three spacious air-conditioned bedrooms all with en suite
the Village room is upstairs with balconies and double bed,
the Palm room is also upstairs with balconies and two single beds and
the Family room is on the ground floor with access to the lower patio with double bed and bunk-beds for 2.
In the winter the bedrooms and kitchen can be heated with 'split units', which in the summer provide the air conditioning, at no extra cost. The Central heating can be made available for £10 per day. . Firewood can be provided for 10euro for a sizeable container. Otherwise all other utility costs are included in the price.
|Further details outdoors|
The courtyard has an upper large patio, a smaller lower patio and large entrance lobby where children can play safely. The courtyard, a real sun trap offering absolute privacy has trees and flowers such as citrus, olive and pomegranate and jasmine, bougainvillea, roses, herbs and other plants. Quality garden furniture for relaxing and dining and a large parasol are available on the large patio. Barbeque equipment is available.
The balconies are a charming feature offering views of the mountains and so another view spot to relax with a book and a drink.
Welcome grocery pack on arrival.
English speaking representative on hand to welcome and answer any questions.
Welcome folder with useful information about the house and the area.
Swimming pool within 5km open June, July and August.
Maps, guides and leaflets of places to visit are also provided.
The Nicosia region
Lefkosia (or Nicosia) district is dotted with many villages some on a flat plain and others on the way to the mountains surrounded by olive and pine trees. Ideal for exporers, rumblers, cyclists (you need to have your own bike!), families, couples, and singles as there are plenty of friendly people around! As our reviews show everyone has a great time!
Lefkosia is a bustling and cosmopolitan town that really does offer something for everyone. A unique blend of old and new here you can visit museums and catch up on your shopping or enjoy the many cafes and restaurants.
Also known as Nicosia, it has been the capital of Cyprus since the 10th century AD. Places of interest to catch your attention include The Cyprus Museum, the Folk Art Museum, the Venetian Walls, the Famagusta Gate Cultural Centre, Laiki Geitonia a small tastefully renovated neighbourhood of shops and tavernas, the Cyprus Handicraft Centre and more.
In the region of Lythrodontas you find the nearby hills and mountains such as Kionia and Marchairas (of the Troodos range) which form the backdrop of the village. Machairas Monastery (about 30 minutes drive through olive groves and pine forests was founded by two monks in 1148AD and is worth a visit. Worth a visit is also Fikardou village, a few kilometres from the monastery, protected in order to preserve the special woodwork and folk architecture of its 18th century houses.
Lefkara village, a traditional restored village and home of many crafts (lace, silver, pottery et) is only 10 miles from Lythrodontas through a wooded area. Kornos, another village nearby has a pottery making facility, which is of interest.
Nightlife in Nicosia or Larnaca. Lots of outdoor cafes in both. Larnaka's sea front is charming and very popular. It takes about 40 minutes drive but go early to find parking!
Lythrodontas is a thriving village, nestled on the foothills of the eastern edge the Troodos mountain range, in the Nicosia district, and only a half hour drive from Nicosia, the capital. The village is surrounded by olive groves and pine trees as the hinterland rises gradually to the mountains.
Local amenities include:
-Swimming pool in the area is within 5km (June, July, August) at Ktima Alexiou. (Then at Dhali 10km and 15km at Latsia) Please ask us or ask locally if interested. The nearest beach at Larnaka is about 35minutes drive.
- The village square with its traditional cafes
- The kiosk (“periptero”) by the village square sells milk, cans of drink and a limited range of food, newspapers and magazines.
- The main supermarket is on the right of the main road as you drive into the village, about 400 metres before the village square. This stocks a large range of food and household goods, as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Opening hours are: Every day: 5h00 to 22h00. Fresh bread and local pastries are also available at the supermarket.
- Vegetable and fruit market – there is a local vegetable and fruit market on Tuesdays 100m from the village square on the main road. The supermarket has also deals on fresh produce on Tuesdays.
- There are two takeaways on the road off the opposite side of the square, both within walking distance. These serve local dishes such as “souvlaki” – small cubes of grilled meat / kebab, served in pitta bread with salad, and also pizza.
- Magico restaurant is between the takeaways and the supermarket; it also offers takeaways.
- The I-Food Café is a small internet café just off the left hand side of the square, which also serves simple food and sells takeaways.
Between Lythrodontas and Mathiatis village
- The Millennium Futbal sports area, between the two villages, opened a restaurant in November 2013 with an excellent local chef, Giorgos. His speciality is “meze” – a succession of perhaps 15 small dishes so you need to go hungry... check latest status with Chris in case Giorgos moves elsewhere!
- The village of Kapedes is a 15 minute drive north west of Lythrodontas. There's quite a large restaurant, the Acropolis, with lovely views.
- Nicosia Old Town (inside the old city walls)
Nicosia is about 25 minutes away but contains a number of good restaurants in the old town. Some of these are on and around Onasagorou Street which runs parallel to the well known but rather touristy Lidras Street.
- The village also has a petrol station, a bank, a doctor and a chemist.
Activities in and from the village
- Explore the village and meet the friendly local people
- Go for countryside walks, including on the European long-distance path E4 (eg. the Lefkothea nature trail a couple of miles outside the village on the road to Lefkara.)
- Visit the old and the new church with its hand-painted murals and icons in the village
- Have a drink and watch the world go by in the traditional 'Kaffeneion'(cafe) in the charming village square.
- Go horse-riding (by arrangement)
- Make day trips to the beach, nearest Larnaca, 35km, for swimming and watersports. Ayia Napa and Protaras are only an hour's drive away.
- Visit other places of interest on the island (we have plenty of guides at the house). Several guests have told us that staying at Lythrodontas is ideal for visits to the whole island.
- Explore old Nicosia - only 30 minutes easy drive.
Lythrodontas is a busy and authentic Cypriot village with friendly local people – the charming, leafy village square (only 100 metres from Elaia) is a truly unhurried and relaxing place to enjoy sun and shade, chatting and gazing, sip a beer, coffee or have an ice-cream. At the side is the small older church, and close by a corner shop, banks, and good takeaways – very good souvlaki! A well stocked supermarket is only 10 minutes walk from the square.
The new church with its extensive hand painted wall and ceiling murals a few minutes walk from the square is worth visiting.
The climate is sunny, dry and warm for most of the year averaging 25 degrees in the spring and autumn, 15 degrees in the winter and 35 degrees in the summer months.