About the home
This traditional longere farmhouse dates back to the 1840's, built of stone and roman tile roof, and is full of character. The house has been sympathetically renovated to retain many original features including stonework and exposed beams. The rooms are spacious and well equipped with a mixture of modern and traditional fittings with comfort in mind. The large kitchen and dining area lends itself to lively evenings enjoying produce from local markets and suppliers, or you can find a quiet corner in one of the two sitting rooms to hide away and enjoy that book you can't put down!
The gardens are extensive with lovely private areas to enjoy the sunshine, especially around the beautiful swimming pool which has been landscaped in sympathy with the traditional buildings. There is plenty of room to run around and enjoy the outdoor garden games or just sit and enjoy this rural village atmosphere. The house has gas central heating and log fires and a very relaxing place to stay for holidays throughout the year.
Whilst the village has no commercial facilities it is ideally placed for easy and quick access to a huge range of holiday activities and entertainment including the Puy de Fou theme park and Futuroscope, and beaches at La Tranche and La Faute are only 30 minutes drive away.
|Size:||Sleeps up to 10, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach:||La Faute Sur Mer, 35km|
|Will consider:||Long lets|
Nearest amenities: 3km
|Family friendly?||Suitable for children of all ages|
Suitable for people with restricted mobility
|Notes:||No pets allowed|
No smoking at this property
|Luxuries:||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|Pool:||Shared outdoor pool (heated)|
|General:||Central heating, TV, Video player, CD player, Table tennis, Satellite TV, Wi-fi available|
|Standard:||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities:||Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms:||4 Bedrooms, 4 bathrooms of which 2 family bathrooms and 2 shower rooms|
|Furniture:||Single beds (6), Double beds (2), Cots (2), Dining seating for 10, Lounge seating for 10|
|Other:||Linen and towels provided|
|Outdoors:||Shared outdoor pool (heated), Balcony / Terrace, Shared garden, BBQ, Trampoline|
Further details indoors:
Wisteria House has four bedrooms ( 1 double with handbasin, 1 double with 2 singles, and 2 twin bedrooms). Linen and towels are included in the price. The bedrooms are light and airy with wooden floors and the beds and bedding were chosen for their comfort and generous size Upstairs is a modern bathroom with shower over the bath, handbasin and WC. The twin-bedded rooms have their own shower room and handbasin.
The living areas include a large kitchen with a full range of units, large dining table and welcoming log burner. There is a family sized sitting room with another log fire and doors leading to the gardens, and a small 'snug' sitting room with TV facilities.
At the older end of the house is the original kitchen with bread oven and rare stone 'potager' although these are no longer functioning. This is used as a utlility room and leads onto a further bathroom with walk-in shower, bath and WC.
Further details outdoors:
The large garden of some 7,000 square metres has extensive lawns with fruit trees. This and the outside swimming pool is shared with the guests of the two-bedroomed gite, Hortensia Cottage, also situated within the grounds. Wisteria House and Hortensia Cottage can be rented together, making a maximum party of 16 people. Short tennis and badminton are supplied. We have just installed a 16' trampoline. A covered lean-to corner of a large barn near the pool provides a shaded area for sitting and barbecue meals and we also use this space to play table tennis. There is an indoor football table in the utility room for the guests in Wisteria House.
The heated swimming pool is of a single depth of 1.5 metres, about 9 by 5 metres. Elegant wide steps which also serve as seats on two sides lead into it so the full depth area can be used for swimming and ball games. There is a ledge all round. The pool is set in a secured, paved area with plenty of seating. There is also a solar shower using our own well water. Outbuildings have been converted to house the pool services and a shaded area and recently we have added a changing room with hand washbasin and WC. The pool heating is set to 28 degrees C. It is regularly maintained and uses bromide salt rather than chlorine which doesn't smell and is generally less irritating to sensitive skins.
A welcome pack with local specialities is offered on arrival.
Towels are provided for use in the house and gite, separate towels provided for the pool but we would expect guests to bring their own beach towels.
If the owner is not living on site during your stay the local representative, who is English, will be available to help you with any problems.
The Poitou-Charentes / Vendee / Vendee region
The Vendee is a large département (or county) about the size of Devon located on the French Atlantic coast, just south of Brittany and Nantes, and north of La Rochelle and Bordeaux. Its position, within 2 to 6 hours of the various ferry ports, makes the area an easy day's journey from Britain and Ireland. It has some 150 kilometres of mainly sandy beaches which give good conditions for water sports as well as just enjoying the sunshine. The population, according to the 1999 census, is 540,000.
The name "Vendée" is taken from that of a river which runs through the south-east of the département. After crossing the forest of Mervent it flows through the town of Fontenay-le-Comte, which used to be the capital of Bas-Poitou - the county's name was changed to Vendée after the French Revolution of 1789 until Napoleon decided his soldiers could keep the Vendeans in order more easily from La Roche-sur-Yon. The river meanders on through the marshes to meet the Sevre Niortaise, and turns west to meet the sea in the bay known as the Anse de l'Aiguillon, famous for its scallop, mussel and oyster beds.
The property is situated in the heart of the wonderful micro-climate that is enjoyed in this part of the Vendee. It is said to be second only to the Cote d'Azur and regularly records 2,500 hours of sunshine a year. As a result many sub-tropical plants grow, we have a 5 metre banana tree in the garden which regularly bears fruit.
The local farms grow maize, sunflowers, tobacco and delicious melons which are on sale between April and October. However winters can be quite cold but we're fully prepared for off-peak guests and the house, apart from the two log burners, is equipped with partial gas central heating and electric wall radiaters. We may have to make a nominal charge for the central heating costs in exceptionally cold periods. You'll find the thick walls and shutters give excellent insulation, keeping the house cool in summer and retaining the warmth in winter.
The Lucon / Les Mottes area
Situated in a quiet village close to interesting walks, cycling routes and for fishing the river Smagne, Wisteria House, is ideally placed for easy and quick access to a large range of holiday activities and entertainment.
Beaches at La Tranche and La Faute within 30 minutes drive offer sailing, surfing, jet skiing, microlight, tennis, golf and horse riding. Les Sables d'Olonne a little further with its zoo, spa, shopping, casino and night life. La Rochelle just 45 minutes to the south with its chic shopping, street cafes, restaurants, aquarium and historic buildings with the nearby Ile de Ré, famous for its hollyhocks and long-haired donkeys.
The fantastic theme park of Le Puy de Fou (second attraction in France after Disneyland) is an hour to the north and Futuroscope is at Poitiers. To the south is the Marais Poitevin (Green Venice) with punts and electric boats to hire to explore this amazing network of waterways and wildlife. The cathedral town of Luçon with its markets and good choice of supermarkets is our nearest town just 10 minutes away. They organise many cultural events throughout the year.
Nearby is a large watersports venue and close to the village are beautiful forest and riverside walks, adventure playgrounds and cycle routes. Wine tasting is very popular too, with wine trails starting only a few kilometres away where you can discover the Vendéen wines. There's also a good selection of restaurants to cater for most people's tastes and budgets.
How to get there
Click map icons for more information
Nantes (1 hour - 90kms) - Ryanair from Dublin, East Midlands, London Stanstead, Shannon
La Rochelle (1hour - 60kms)
- Ryanair from London Stanstead, Dublin
- Easyjet from London Gatwick, Bristol
- Flybe from Birmingham, Southampton, Manchester, Glasgow(? 2008)
- Jet2 (May 2008) from Edinburgh, Leeds
Santander (6+ hours - 660 kms)
- Brittany Ferries from Plymouth
Roscoff ( 4+ hours - 410kms)
- Brittany Ferries from Cork and Plymouth
Saint Malo ( 3 hours - 280 kms)
- Brittany Ferries from Plymouth and Portsmouth
- Celtic Line and Irish Ferries from Rosslare
Cherbourg ( 4+hours - 440 kms)
- Britanny Ferries from Poole, Plymouth and Portsmouth
Caen ( 3+ hours - 380 kms)
- Brittany Ferries from Plymouth and Portsmouth
Le Havre (4 hrs - 470 kms)
- Newhaven, Portsmouth
Dieppe ( 5 hours - 500 kms)
Boulogne ( 6 hrs - 620 kms)
Calais ( 6 hrs - 650 kms)
- P+O and Seafrance from Dover, Folkestone
Dunkerque ( 6 hrs - 690 kms)
Zeebrugge ( 7 hrs - 740 kms)
- P+O from Hull, Rosyth
Activities near Lucon
Tennis in town
Golf within 30 mins drive
Rural / countryside retreats
Beach or lakeside relaxation
A winter sun break
04 Nov 2012
My wife & I, along with our 2 daughters, aged 7yrs & 15yrs stayed at this lovely house towards the end of the summer holidays. We were all in need of a 'Chill Out' holiday & that's... more
01 Oct 2012
Wisteria House has proved an ideal holiday home for us, our three young children and our friends - and their children - since our first visit in 2010. With four large bedrooms, a large 'farmhouse' kitchen and plenty of space - inside and out - to spread out into, it is easily spacious enough to accommodate us. It is tastefully decorated and furnished, and has all the amenities a holidaying family might wish for (bbq, great pool, table tennis, table football, trampoline...). A real home-from-home that makes a great base for exploring this part of the Vendee, including the nearest beaches (around half an hour's drive). Lucon is a short drive away and has all the amenities that you might want - including a large Hyper-U. The service has been first rate - we have experienced nothing but a helpful and friendly attitude on any of our three visits to date. We would wholeheartedly recommend this part of France, and this property in particular, to a family or large group looking for a comfortable and well appointed base.
30 Sep 2012
This is the second year we have been back to Wisteria. There are 11 of us ranging from babies to grandparents and inlcluding a teenager, but this property has something for everyone. It is ideal because there is a large property and a smaller second property so that our son who has a baby can have their own space to do what they need to whenever they want. The totally secluded grounds mean the children can place totally safely and there is lots of room for ball games etc.
The only downside I have found is the distance to the shops but that isn't the owners fault! It requires a car journey to access any produce at all including bread which can feel a bit of a chore. But this doesn't really spoil the fact that the properties are fantastic and everything has been considered from the holiday makers point of view.
A great choice for a holiday
|Rental prices originally quoted in: British £||Convert to:|
|Prices for group size 10|
|Period||From||To||Weekly||Nightly rate|| Minimum |
|September 2012||1 Sep 12||29 Sep 12||£ 1000||-||-||1 Week|
|October 2012||29 Sep 12||3 Nov 12||£ 700||-||-||1 Week|
|Nov 2012 to Mar 2013||3 Nov 12||31 Mar 13||£ 600||-||-||1 Week|
|April & May 2013||31 Mar 13||2 Jun 13||£ 700||-||-||1 Week|
|June 2013||2 Jun 13||30 Jun 13||£ 1000||-||-||1 Week|
|July & August 2013||30 Jun 13||1 Sep 13||£ 1500||-||-||1 Week|
|September 2013||1 Sep 13||29 Sep 13||£ 1000||-||-||1 Week|
The property's weekend rates apply to: Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
NB: Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion.
1. The property known as Wisteria House (the property) is offered for holiday rental subject to confirmation by Chris Butt (the owner) to the renter ( the client). We can accept payments by cheque or bank transfer in Euros or GB pounds sterling.<BR>2. The rates for the property Wisteria House are shown in GB pounds and include the consumption of gas, water and electricity and the use of linen and bedding, towels for use in the house and for the pool. A standard cleaning charge is also included but we reserve the right to make a further appropriate charge if the property is left in an unsatisfactory condition.<BR>3. To reserve the property, the client should complete the booking form and return it to us, together with a non-refundable deposit of Â£400 per week. We will then send a confirmation invoice which is the acceptance of the booking.<BR>4.The balance of the rental, together with the security deposit (see point 5) is payable not less than 8 weeks before the start of the rental period. If such payment is not received by the due date the owners reserve the right to give written notice that the reservation is cancelled. Reservations made within eight weeks of the start of the rental period are to be paid in full at the time of the booking<BR>5. A refundable security deposit of Â£400 is required in case of damage or loss to the property or its contents. The security deposit. less any charges, will be returned two weeks after the end of the rental period.<BR>6. Subject to Points 3 and 4 above, in the event of a non-insurable cancellation, refunds of amounts paid will be made if the owners are able to re-let the property. Any expenses or losses incurred in doing so will be deducted from the refundable amount. The client is strongly advised to arrange a comprehensive insurance policy (including cancellation cover) and to have full cover for the party's personal belongings, public liability etc.<BR>7. The changeover day is normally Saturday, but this might be negotiable. The rental period will start at 1600 hours on the first day and finish at 1000 hours on the last day. The owners will not be obliged to offer the accommodation before the time stated and the client shall not be entitled to remain in occupation after the time stated.<BR>8. The maximum number of people to reside in the property must not exceed ten persons unless the owners have given written permission.<BR>9. The client agrees to be a considerate tenant and take good care of the property and to leave it in a clean and tidy condition at the end of the rental period. The owners reserve the right to make a retention from the security deposit to cover any damage or additional cleaning costs if the client leaves the property in an unacceptable condition. The client also agrees not to act in any way which would cause disturbance to those residents in nearby properties.<BR>10. The client shall report to the owners or their local representative, without delay, any defects or breakdown in equipment, plant, machinery or appliances in the property, swimming pool or any of the facilities, so that arrangements for repair or replacement can be made as soon as possible.<BR>11. The owners shall not be liable to the client for any temporary defect or stoppage in the supply of public services to the property nor in respect of any equipment, plant, machinery or appliance in the property, garden, accommodation or swimming pool complex, or any loss, damage or injury which is the result of adverse weather conditions, riot, war, strikes or other matters beyond the owners control. The owners liability to the client will not exceed the amount paid to the owner for the rental period.<BR>12. The client must ensure that children are supervised at all times when using the swimming pool and the area around it within the wall and gate. No diving is allowed.Enquire now
See below for next 9 months' availability - to see the next 24 months click here
Contact the owner
* Required fields
Please check the following errors:
5 years listed
You are contacting
The owner is based in the United Kingdom and has advertised with Holiday Lettings since 2008. This farmhouse has received 3 reviews from previous guests.
Verified property owner
This owner has been verified by our team
Payment for this home can be made directly to the owner.
Selected other homes from this advertiser
Hortensia Cottage in Lucon, France
Holiday accommodation in France (11,142)