Abercelyn Tithe Barn 2
from £48 /night help Price for guests, Nights approx:
from £48 /night help Price for guests, Nights approx:
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Contact the advertiser to confirm the total cost.
Cottage / 2 bedrooms / sleeps 4
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage / 2 bedrooms / sleeps 4
Self-catering within an 18th C, grade-II listed, former Tithe Barn which has been carefully converted to retain the character of the building while providing modern comforts, including central heating. All bedrooms have en-suite luxury bathrooms with powerful showers and a whirlpool bath in each cottage. The Barn is of traditional construction with local stone, slit-windows, exposed roof beams and many original features and was converted in 2006.
The Tithe Barn has a sheltered, courtyard setting facing a rock-garden, with heathers, alpines and wild flowers, located in the grounds of Abercelyn Country House. There are views of Llanycil Church and churchyard, Lake Bala and the Berwyn mountains on the other side of the lake.
To see a virtual tour of the cottage go to the Abercelyn Cottages website, using the link at the bottom-right of the page "Visit the advertiser's website" or copy "www.self-catering-snowdonia.com" into your Internet browser.
|Size||Sleeps up to 4, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Barmouth 40 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Manchester 115 km, Nearest railway: Wrexham 50 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||No pets allowed, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 En suites|
|Furniture||Double beds (1), Single beds (2), Cots (1), Dining seats for 4, Lounge seats for 4|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ|
|Access||Parking, Not suitable for wheelchair users|
|Further details indoors|
Tithe Barn-2 has a living accommodation upstairs and features:
* Central heating with adequate supply of hot water
* One double and one twin bedroom both en-suite, whirlpool bath, spacious shower
* Lounge, dining area and kitchen which are separated by the original stub-walls and have an oak floor, stone walls and beams
* Fully fitted kitchen with quality appliances including dishwasher, washing machine, etc
* Oak floor, stone walls and sloping ceiling with beams (headroom restrictions)
* Two comfortable sofas
* Flat-screen TV with DVD player, teletext, remote control with digital TV and radio
* HiFi system with CD/DVD, radio and MP3 connection (USB Port and SD card Slot)
* Nest of tables
* A stair gate is provided
Information folder, walking & biking folder and instruction manual
Kitchen and Dining area:
* Pine dining table and chairs for four
* Cooker with fan-assisted oven, second oven/grill and four rapid hotplates
* Microwave cooker
* Washing machine (powder provided)
* Dishwasher (tablets provided)
* Drying room
* Fully equipped for four persons
The bedrooms feature stone walls. Both are en-suite with a powerful shower and a whirlpool bath.
Twin bedroom with:
* En-suite including, WC, basin, whirlpool bath with hand-held mixer shower/taps, dual-fuel heated towel rail
* Wall lights, built-in wardrobe with shelves and space for storage of cases, etc.
* Choice of quilts
Double bedroom with:
* En-suite including WC, basin, and walk-in spacious shower with thermostatic control, dual-fuel heated towel rail
* Side-lights, dressing-table with mirror and light, walk-in wardrobe with space for storage of cases, etc.
* Choice of quilts
|Further details outdoors|
Patio with furniture and barbecue
Drying room in Abercelyn Country House
Adequate car parking including space for boat trailers
Arrival from 4pm, departure by 10am (otherwise by arrangement).
Cancellation: We will endeavour to re-let your booking - deposit or balance payments will be refunded if we are able to re-let.
Pets are not permitted (permitted in Tithe Barn 1 or the Poor House).
The North Wales region
The highlights of the area include:
* Abercelyn is set in mature, landscaped gardens, close to Lake Bala (Llyn Tegid) the largest natural lake in Wales
* Within easy walking distance of the market town of Bala with shpos, banks, a post office, restaurants and Inns
* Located within the Snowdonia National Park with stunning mountain and lake scenary
* Walking directly from the doorstep with mountain and scenic walks available and a circular walk around the lake
* Surrounded by three mountain ranges (Aran, Arenig and Berwyn) with other mountains easily accessible including: Cader Idris, Rhinogs, Snowdon, and more
* Outstanding watersports facilities on Lake Bala, National White-water Centre and River Dee
* Easy access to the coast of Cardigan Bay and estuaries (Mawddach, Dovey and Dwryd)
* An ideal centre for visiting the many attractions of North- and Mid-Wales
Ten suggested "things to do" around Bala:
* Experience Welsh culture, e.g. listen to a Welsh choir, or visit the Cywain Centre, Bala
* Whitewater rafting at the National Whitewater Centre
* Bala Lake Railway
* Walk around the Lake or half-way and return by railway
* Dine out in one of the Egon Ronay top 25 restaurants in the UK
* Off-road driving in a 4x4 with Landcraft
* Play golf on a challenging course with views of the lake and mountains at Bala Golf Club
* Sail or canoe on Lake Bala
* The Town walk with historical information
* Fishing in Lake Bala or the River Tryweryn or Dee
Other "things to do" near Bala, include:
* Caerau Uchaf Gardens (Sarnau): gardens, plant sales, cafe, adventure playground, pets corner
* Cinema in Bala
* Fitness: Penllyn Leisure Centre, Bala
* Swimming: Penllyn Leisure Centre, Bala
* Ten Pin Bowling: Urdd Multi-activity Centre, Glan-llyn
* Heritage Centre (Canolfan y Plase) in Bala
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
7 Jun 2015
"Everything we wanted."
A lovely place, perfect for a family break. Well appointed, clean, comfortable, close enough to Bala town (15 mins walk, 5 in car), even closer to the lake. Ray was the perfect host. Definitely one on the "go back to" list.
16 Apr 2015
"Lake side base with everything needed!"
We've used the Tithe barns annually for the past couple of years as our accommodation when competing at Bala SC. Great setup (with full kitchen) with everything you would require for either a short or extended stay. I don't want to say too many great things about it as I still want to be able to book in future!
14 Dec 2014
"Comfortable & cosy stay in beautiful part of the country"
Myself and my partner stayed in Tithe Barn 2 for 5 nights in early December. The cottage had lots of character and charm and was very cosy. The bathroom was lovely with a powerful shower and a whirlpool bath - just what you need after a day's walking in the cold. The kitchen was very well equipped and the information in the cottage on walking and what to do in the local area was excellent. Further information on walking etc can be found in a library in the main house, and Ray was only too happy to advise on walks etc. All in all it was a lovely stay, a paradise for walkers and canoeists/kayakers and a cosy cottage to relax in.
9 Sep 2014
"Cosy and convenient cottage almost on the shores of Bala."
We had an absolutely brilliant family holiday, 4 of us dad, mum and 2 kids 10 and 12. We kayaked, walked, biked and visited some beautiful areas. Kayaking was locally on the lake and Trweryyn, biking at Coed Y Brenin and LLandegla and outings were to Betwys, Llandudno and Portmerion. We all found things to do that we enjoyed and it allowed some brilliant family time together in an usually hectic world.
2 Sep 2014
"Uitstekend onderkomen op prachtige plek"
Even buiten Bala biedt deze vakantiewoning een goed uitgangspunt de omgeving te verkennen. Wandelpaden beginnen vlakbij. De woning is sfeervol en gezellig ingericht en van al het nodige voorzien. De vriendelijke eigenaars waren altijd bereid op onze vragen in te gaan.
28 Jul 2013
"Very peaceful, pretty cottage with everything you need"
The 2 bed cottage was lovely, especially the bathrooms. The only problem was that the living room got very hot, but we did visit in the middle of a heatwave do everywhere was hot! Bala is beautiful and it was all very easy to find. We had a really relaxing stay, thank you!
9 Jun 2013
"no mention of the road in the details and where was the view of the lake?"
We stayed here for 7 nights exploring the surrounding area, great place as a base. For visitors interested in walking and other outdoor activities, there are a wealth of opportunities on offer as well as guided walks and water sports offered by the owners. The Barn has, as advertised, the bedrooms on the ground floor and kitchen/living space on 1st floor. The views of the lake are from a window on the stairs and a window in living space which is faced by the back of one of the (not so comfortable) sofas - hardly a view... Early June, the weather was glorious, the bedrooms were freezing as they get no direct sunlight and the upstairs space was stuffy and impossible to ventilate due to the child locks on the windows and constant sun. There is central heating, the thermostat is upstairs in the hot space, not downstairs where the bedrooms and the colder area of the Barn are located. Opening the windows on the 'view' side offered constant noise from the traffic running along the busy A road outside, no mention of this in the details. The recycling and rubbish disposal arrangements are a bit complicated and there weren't adequate receptacles in the Barn to keep the different rubbish separated. I know we were in the countryside but even still, there were a few too many spiders webs lurking in corners. Access to the internet was in the main house, which was fine, having it at the Barns would have been preferable. Overall it was an ok place to stay but I wouldn't want to go back.
Thanks for your feedback, some observations follow. The child-locks on the windows can be removed in a few seconds, the key is provided or we are happy to do this for you. If the thermostatic valves of the upstairs radiators are turned up fully, the downstairs will be cold, however if they are turned down both the downstairs and upstairs will be warm. This is because the thermostat is upstairs. With regard to recycling Gwynedd Council now accepts a wider range and some can be mixed together - new information has been provided. The cottage was an 18th C barn with lots of character and the occasional spider.
1 May 2013
"Lovely Cottage, our third visit!"
Stayed in Tithe Barn 2 with two friends. This cottage meets all our needs and we will be back. Lovely and clean, all facilities needed. Very easy to walk into Bala. Only thing left to ask for would be WiFi!
27 Apr 2013
"Set in lovely surroundings with all the comforts at hand."
Tithe barn 2 was very comfortable for our family of 3. Owners have paid a lot of attention to home comforts, which made our stay very pleasant and enjoyable. The picturesque scenery from the barn is to be enjoyed.
11 Apr 2013
"lovely character barn"
our 2nd visit to Tithe barn 2. Homemade cake and milk on arrival. All kitchen essentials provided, dish washer tabs,wash powder, wash up liquid etc. All cooking utensils you need. Owners on site to help if any problems. One mile from Bala town. Lovely spot. Bike storage available. Will return again.
You're booking with
- 4 Years listed
95% Response rate
Calendar last updated:18 Jul 2015
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- +44 16785 21109