Abercelyn Tithe Barn 1
from £38 /night help
Estimated nightly price based on a weekly stay. Contact the advertiser to confirm the total cost.
Availability Your dates are available
Cottage | 2 bedrooms | sleeps 3
Self-catering within an 18th C, grade-II listed, former Tithe Barn which has been carefully converted to retain the character of the building while providing modern comforts, including central heating. All bedrooms have en-suite luxury bathrooms with powerful showers and a whirlpool bath in each cottage. The Barn is of traditional construction with local stone, slit-windows, exposed roof beams and many original features and was converted in 2006.
The Tithe Barn has a sheltered, courtyard setting facing a rock-garden, with heathers, alpines and wild flowers, located in the grounds of Abercelyn Country House. There are views of Llanycil Church and churchyard, Lake Bala and the Berwyn mountains on the other side of the lake.
To see a virtual tour of the cottage go to the Abercelyn Cottages website, using the link at the bottom-right of the page "Visit the advertiser's website" or copy "www.self-catering-snowdonia.com" into your Internet browser.
|Size||Sleeps up to 3, 2 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Barmouth 40 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings|
|Nearest Amenities||1 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Manchester 115 km, Nearest railway: Wrexham 50 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, No smoking at this property|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Internet access, DVD player, Boat available|
|General||Central heating, TV, CD player, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 2 En suites|
|Furniture||Double beds (2), Single beds (1), Cots (1)|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Shared garden, BBQ|
|Further details indoors|
Tithe Barn-1 has a full-height open hall with galleried landing and features:
* Central heating with adequate supply of hot water
* One double and one single bedroom both en-suite, whirlpool bath, spacious shower
* Lounge, dining area and kitchen which are separated by the original stub-walls and have a slate floor, lime-washed stone walls and slit windows
* Fully fitted kitchen with quality appliances including dishwasher, washing machine, etc
* Slate floor, lime-washed stone walls and original slit windows
* Two comfortable sofas
* Flat-screen TV with DVD player, teletext, remote control with digital TV and radio
* HiFi system with CD/DVD, radio and MP3 connection (USB Port and SD card Slot)
* Nest of tables
Information folder, walking & biking folder and instruction manual
Hall and dining area:
* Pine dining table and chairs for four
* Cupboard under the stairs (vacuum cleaner)
* A stair gate is provided for use at the bottom of the stairs
* Cooker with fan-assisted oven, second oven/grill and four rapid hotplates
* Microwave cooker
* Washing machine (powder provided)
* Dishwasher (tablets provided)
* Drying room
* Fully equipped for four persons
The bedrooms feature stone walls and sloping ceilings with beams. Both are en-suite with a powerful shower and a whirlpool bath.
Double bedroom with:
* En-suite including, WC, basin, off-set corner whirlpool bath with hand-held mixer shower/taps, dual-fuel heated towel rail
* Wall lights, built-in wardrobe with shelves and space for storage of cases, etc.
* Choice of quilts
Single bedroom with:
* En-suite including WC, basin, and walk-in spacious shower with thermostatic control (headroom restrictions), dual-fuel heated towel rail
* Wall-light over the bed, dressing-shelf with mirror and light, built-in wardrobe with shelf and space for storage of cases, etc.
* Choice of quilts
|Further details outdoors|
Patio with furniture and barbecue
Drying room in Abercelyn Country House
Adequate car parking including space for boat trailers
You can walk your dog on our land or along the lake
About this location
The North Wales region
The highlights of the area include:
* Abercelyn is set in mature, landscaped gardens, close to Lake Bala (Llyn Tegid) the largest natural lake in Wales
* Within easy walking distance of the market town of Bala with shpos, banks, a post office, restaurants and Inns
* Located within the Snowdonia National Park with stunning mountain and lake scenary
* Walking directly from the doorstep with mountain and scenic walks available and a circular walk around the lake
* Surrounded by three mountain ranges (Aran, Arenig and Berwyn) with other mountains easily accessible including: Cader Idris, Rhinogs, Snowdon, and more
* Outstanding watersports facilities on Lake Bala, National White-water Centre and River Dee
* Easy access to the coast of Cardigan Bay and estuaries (Mawddach, Dovey and Dwryd)
* An ideal centre for visiting the many attractions of North- and Mid-Wales
Ten suggested "things to do" around Bala:
* Experience Welsh culture, e.g. listen to a Welsh choir, or visit the Cywain Centre, Bala
* Whitewater rafting at the National Whitewater Centre
* Bala Lake Railway
* Walk around the Lake or half-way and return by railway
* Dine out in one of the Egon Ronay top 25 restaurants in the UK
* Off-road driving in a 4x4 with Landcraft
* Play golf on a challenging course with views of the lake and mountains at Bala Golf Club
* Sail or canoe on Lake Bala
* The Town walk with historical information
* Fishing in Lake Bala or the River Tryweryn or Dee
Other "things to do" near Bala, include:
* Caerau Uchaf Gardens (Sarnau): gardens, plant sales, cafe, adventure playground, pets corner
* Cinema in Bala
* Fitness: Penllyn Leisure Centre, Bala
* Swimming: Penllyn Leisure Centre, Bala
* Ten Pin Bowling: Urdd Multi-activity Centre, Glan-llyn
* Heritage Centre (Canolfan y Plase) in Bala
About the owner
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
12 Oct 2014
"Beautiful Cottage set in a rural, stunning location"
We have just returned from spending a week in Tithe Barn 1. The barn is beautiful inside and has been converted to a good standard. The whirlpool bath was very much needed as a way of relaxing after w… More
6 Oct 2014
We recently stayed in Tithe Barn 1 and had a really nice stay.
The accomodation was lovely and ideal for our requirements.
Ray was friendly, very helpful and most accommodating to our specific date requirements and late check-in.
On arrival we were provided with some lovely home-made shortbread and there was some milk in the fridge, with tea & coffee also there, so even when arriving late, we were very happy.
We enjoyed walking round Bala Lake and the cottage is in a truly great location next to the lake and being just a 5-10 minute walk from Bala. I also managed to cycle Blwch-y-groes while I was there, so I was very happy! Bala Spice restaurant did a nice takeaway as well.
We would definitely recommend a stay here as it is a lovely cottage but also a great location for exploring what this beatiful part of Wales has to offer.
26 Feb 2014
"Warm & comfortable and will go back."
The cottage was warm and comfortable and very well equipped. The modern conveniences of having a washing machine and dishwasher were useful. The Whirlpool bath and DVD player were nice additional features. We had a dog with us which worked well and there were some nice walks in close proximity. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would use it again.
5 Nov 2013
"First Class Holiday Cottage Accommodation"
We stayed for a long weekend in the two cottages thoughtfully converted from the tithe barn. Each was in first class condition and well and comfortably furnished and equipped. I can't think that there was anything we could have wanted that wasn't provided. The cottages are in the spacious grounds of an Old Rectory within walking distance of Bala, well located for attractions across North Wales (a car is probably essential).
15 Sep 2013
"Great cottage perfect base for walking and sight seeing."
Very well equiped and spotless accomodation. Friendly and helpful owners. Enjoyed our stay and will return again. Two minutes walk to Lake Bala and within easy reach of many of the top attractions.
9 Sep 2013
"Cozy and Relaxing"
We stayed at Tithe Barn 1 for a total of four nights, it was too short of a stay! We were welcomed with brownies and milk, which were finished very quickly! The children enjoyed staying in the barn and also exploring the property. They were able to feed the hens in the morning with Ray, who also gave our two year old daughter a fresh egg for breakfast (she inisited on carrying it back to the barn and having it cooked right away!). They also had fun playing with the cats and kitten on their morning walks. The barn itself was very cosy, the kitchen had everything we needed for our stay. The barn is well decorated and the space used well. We used the DVD and book library in the main house for evening entertainment at the barn. Ray gave us suggestions on what we could do during our stay. The town of Bala is a 15 minute walk away with restaurants and shopping. There was lots to do in the area, the kids enjoyed going on the train around the lake. We had a memorable trip, and would definitely stay again!
28 Jul 2013
"Beautiful cottage in a beautiful location"
The little cottage is superb. You won't need anything for a comfortable stay. It's clean and cosy. There is plenty of useful information on what to do and where to go. The only thing that might let it down is its close proximity to the road that is a little bit troublesome in the morning but not in the evening.
7 Jul 2013
"very nice and relaxing stay"
lovely quaint cottage 5 minutes walk from the shore of Bala lake. we had an excellent and relaxing stay. couldn't fault the location or hospitality from Ray, having left cake, milk and all essentials in the property for us upon arrival.
only slight problem was the noise of the main road in front of the building, but even this does not deduct from the lovely setting. we would happily stay again.
25 Apr 2013
"Gorgeous little barn..perfect for a getaway..could of stayed longer"
A fabulous little barn-beautiful inside and out!
Very well equipped inside and full of character.
The little touches of tea, milk and home-made brownies on arrival were a lovely touch-thankyou!
The owners were very welcoming and friendly and on hand if you needed anything.
We had a fabulous time and so did our doggies in all the surrounding country side.
Will definitely recommend and hope to come again soon!!!!
17 Oct 2012
"Beautiful but not comfortable for tall people"
Beautiful barn conversion, but the bed- and bathrooms upstairs are small and low. And the bed in the double bedroom was very hard indeed.The couches downstairs were very uncomfortable as well, very lo… More
The cottage is a barn conversion and there are beams which add considerable character. We try to make it clear on our website that there are height restrictions, in places. We have many guests and repeat bookings, and these guests appreciate the character of the building.
You're booking with
- 3 Years listed
85% Response rate
Calendar last updated:24 Mar 2015
Based in United Kingdom
Credit cards accepted
- Visit site