The Cottage at La Hoguette
Cottage | 1 bedrooms | sleeps 5
• The Cottage is a comfortably restored half-timbered building, set on the grounds of the 18th-century manor of La Hoguette in the Pays d'Auge area. Perfect for your romantic getaways.
• The Cottage is still available over the holiday season, coming quite soon. Short lets are quite possible. Do enquire!
• Staying at our gîtes on the hill will make you feel on top of the world: each accommodation is absolutely private, with its own garden, amongst the safe and spacious surroundings of an attractive park and apple orchard.
• From the garden, enjoy the outstanding panoramic views of the village church amidst the quiet unspoilt countryside, take-in a breath of our fresh air, marvel at the famous Norman ever-changing light. On warm days, rest in the shade of the apple-tree, and on cooler days, enjoy the fire-place inside. Take a walk through the orchard to the swing set, or to visit our two friendly Shetland ponies in the field nearby, who eagerly await treats.
• Only 10 minutes from amenities, the market-town of Saint-Pierre-sur-Dives and local restaurants.
• Centrally located for sightseeing Normandy: Deauville and Honfleur (35 miles), beaches (Cabourg, 25 miles), the Landing Beaches (35 miles), Monet's Giverny (65 miles), Mont Saint-Michel (85 miles).
. Our Cottage is booked and there are only 2 or 3 of you ? No worry, upgrade to the larger house for the price of the small one! Please enquire if it is available.
|Size||Sleeps up to 5, 1 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Cabourg 45 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Nearest Amenities||10 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Caen or Deauville 45 km, Nearest railway: Saint Pierre sur Dives 11 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages|
|Notes||Pets welcome, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms of which 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||1 Sofa beds, Single beds (1), Double beds (1), Cots (2), Dining seats for 6, Lounge seats for 6|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set|
|Further details indoors|
The ground floor of the Cottage is tiled, and the upper floor is carpeted. Heating is adjustable in each room using electric radiators. Wi-Fi broadband internet access, TV and Blu-ray/DVD player are provided. Only hypoallergenic organic cleaning products are used to clean the house, and provided for your stay.
Ground floor: the pink-tiled living area is laid out on an open plan, with a fully equipped kitchen (includes dishwasher, 4-burner propane hotplate, refrigerator, freezer) at one end of main floor, and a fireplace with sitting and dining area (double sofa-bed). Bathroom: shower, washbasin, WC, washing-machine.
Open second floor: one queen size bed, one single bed.
|Further details outdoors|
Enclosed private garden, with brick barbecue (charcoal) and garden furniture.
The garden is grassed throughout, offering the picture-perfect view of the village church on the facing hill, nestling amongst the farms. Take a walk through the orchard to the swing set or visit our two ponies in the field nearby, who eagerly await treats. Enjoy a game of Pétanque Boules or Bocci. Mountain bikes for adults and BMX for children are available to go for a ride in the Norman countryside – but watch out, the rolling hills are quite hard on the legs!
Open all year round. Check-in time is 4.00 p.m., check out time is 10.00 a.m. (alternate times are possible if arranged ahead).
We live on site in the master house – we are be here to welcome you, and are on hand to help out if need be.
Linens & Bedding: we provide all the house linens - duvet covers, pillow-cases, fitted sheets, towels, dish (tea) towels, tablecloths, all 100% cotton, and dried by the fresh air of La Hoguette. We make all the beds prior to your arrival. Children's cots, bedding for the cots, and high-chairs are provided.
House Cleaning: we will have cleaned and prepared the house for your arrival on changeover day and checked the inventory. We expect that the accommodation will be left clean and in good order - we provide organic household cleaning supplies or alternatively cleaning services are available, if required at any time during your stay.
Smokers welcome – outside only please.
Dogs: your dogs are very welcome, free of charge. Please be mindful that the security deposit applies to them too.
Security Deposit: Your security deposit will be returned to you in full after departure. Eventual costs incurred for extra cleaning, or repairing damage or loss, will be deducted from the security deposit. (In our experience, deductions are rare.)
*Also included are basic staples in the kitchen, and the utilities (gas and electricity), for cooking, lighting, hot water, heating. Logs are provided for the open fire.
The Normandy region
With its 350 miles of coastline and richly varied landscapes, Normandy offers a wonderful choice of scenery and culture: the stunning beauty of the cliffs in Étretat or the long sandy beaches, steeped in history, from Caen to Arromanches, the Seine Valley winding between wooded hills and chalk escarpments, the craggy hills of the Suisse Normande, and the patchwork of fields and hedges of the Calvados county with its orchards and timber-framed cottages.
Calvados is one of the 3 "départements" (counties) of Lower Normandy, along with Manche and Orne.
Annexed by Roman legions and Viking adventurers, disputed for centuries by English and French kings, beach-head for D-Day armies, Normandy is a melting-pot of peoples and languages, a cross-roads where cultures and ideas, artefacts and produce, have met and mingled, giving it a rich heritage of traditions, monuments and history.
The Channel coast, the banks of the Seine River, Rouen, Honfleur, Giverny were home to the impressionist painters, inspired by the unique light of the Norman skies.
In Normandy you can experience every type of weather in a single day, meaning it is ever changing; the reason is the closeness of the sea with its changeable and innumerable winds. The climate is mild. Good levels of rain mean that the countryside is green but there are usually more sunny days than cloudy or rainy days. The weather does not get to the high temperatures seen elsewhere in France and it can be unpredictable. However occasional days reaching 80* F (27* C) are not unusual in the summer and the winter months are relatively mild.
In Montpinçon, you will be centrally located for sightseeing Normandy: Deauville and Honfleur (35 miles), beaches (Cabourg, 25 miles), the Landing Beaches (35 miles), Monet’s Giverny (65 miles), Mont Saint-Michel (85 miles), the local market (6 miles) or the lanes of our Montpinçon forest.
The best kept secret in Normandy: a privileged position of proximity, yet bucolic unspoilt countryside!
The Pays d’Auge is an area in Normandy, straddling the départements of Calvados, Orne and Eure. The main towns are Lisieux, Falaise, Pont L’Évêque, Deauville and Trouville.
Generally considered as the “true Normandy”, it is a landscape of apple orchards, quiet dales with verdant pastures and half-timbered manors.
It is noted for its cheeses - Pont L’Évêque, Camembert, Livarot, also names of villages only 10 and 6 miles away from La Hoguette. The Pays d'Auge has been granted the “appellation d’origine contrôlée”, the famous AOC, for its cheeses and for its cider, Pommeau and Calvados. General consensus states that the Normans of Pays d'Auge, with their AOC status, make the best cider.
• Falaise, 13 miles away, the birthplace of William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and King of England, is the cradle of the Anglo-Norman dynasty. Bearing witness to the great power of the Anglo-Norman Duke-Kings, this palace-keep is a rare example of medieval architecture combining both a military and a residential purpose.
• Lisieux, 15 miles away, is world-famous thanks to Therese Martin, better known as Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux. A town of pilgrimage, it has retained many tokens of its rich past – the "Canonical Quarter", the 12th century cathedral, the Episcopal Palace, the hôtel du Haut Doyenné, the Bishop's Palace Garden, the 17th century courthouse.
• The Château de Saint-Germain-de-Livet, "The Wonder of the Pays d'Auge": this little fortress nestling in the bottom of a valley is a true gem, with its coloured stone and green-varnished bricks. Built in the 16th century, it is one of the most precious examples of architecture in the Pays d'Auge in the Renaissance period. The interior is embellished with 18th and 19th century furniture and 16th century frescoes.
• The CERZA animal park, 17 miles away, at Hermival-les-Vaux: 500 wild animals in an area of over 123 acres. A Safari Train takes visitors on tours of the park.
• Le Pin National Stud farm, « Versailles for horses » is 13 miles away. Discover the world of horses through an exceptional heritage handed down over the centuries since Louis the 14th - its architecture, its landscapes, pedigree horses, 18th Century château and stable blocks, a delight for seniors and young alike.
• The Channel sea resorts such as Cabourg 25 miles away, Deauville and Trouville.
• Enjoy a stroll and a café crème at the local markets, there is one for each day of the week: Saint-Pierre-sur-Dives on Mondays, the most famous, well-attended since the 13th century, but also Argentan on Tuesdays, Orbec on Wednesdays, Falaise or Lisieux on Saturdays.
• Visit the annual exhibition at The Folk Museum of Le Billot, 1 mile away, right in Montpinçon, always about some aspect of life in Pays d’Auge from prehistory to 1945.
• Tennis, kayaking, swimming-pool 7 m. away.
• Aquacentre 13 m. away.
• Horseback-riding, angling & fishing, golfing 3 m. away.
• Mountain biking, hiking right in the lanes and the woods of Montpinçon
• Paragliding and hand-gliding, right in Montpinçon
• Rock-climbing 20 m. away in Suisse Normande
• Horse races at the many race-tracks – the very local such as Saint-Pierre-sur-Dives or the more prestigious like Deauville.
• Promenades musicales en Pays d’Auge in July and August, at least 40 concerts in at times surprising locations, within a radius of 20 miles
• Septembre musical de l’Orne in September, within a radius of 50 miles
• Equestrian events at Le Pin National Stud farm
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
10 Oct 2014
"Small cottage, well equipped, delightful situation."
We had a little difficulty finding the cottage from the directions, but only because we lacked the confidence to keep going until the next sign. The contract and inventory is rather detailed when you… More
16 Sep 2014
"un îlot de verdure, de paix et de sérénité"
Excellent accueilNos amis à 4 pattes sont les bienvenusRetour à la nature et au bioConseils judicieux pour achats de produits du terroirPoint de vue superbe sur le village et la campagne environnant… More
9 Jul 2014
"Bijoux cottage in tranquil rural spot"
We decided we really should take our dog to France, and found this to be an ideal location at around 4 hours drive from the Chunnel. We were made very welcome by Catherine, who provided us with lots o… More
6 Feb 2014
Petite "maison de poupée" qui a beaucoup de charme, calme et très agréable . Nous reviendrons au printemps pour profiter du jardin. Notre Teckel a bien apprécié aussi !… More
28 Jan 2014
"Jaarwisseling met cider, schelpen en vis"
Vanuit NL 7 uur onderweg, dus in het donker aankomen. Gelukkig brengt de (noodzakelijke) navigator je bijna op de plaats van bestemming en de borden helpen ook. Daarnaast kent iedereen in de kleine ge… More
11 Nov 2013
"een oase van rust in het hart van Normandië"
Een kabouterhuisje te midden van de boomgaarden. Super gezellig en knus. Geen steriel vakantiehuisje maar een thuis werd hier gecreëerd. Kleine hebbedingetjes, lokale accenten en een vaasje met plukv… More
3 Oct 2013
"Lovely, tranquil little gite - well worth a visit"
Looks much larger on the photographs than in real life but we were delighted to find that it is incredibly comfortable and has it's own garden within the grounds of the main property. The owner s… More
25 Sep 2013
A most delightful gite and a wonderful hostess and her companions Flambeau, Arielle, and Eloi. We had a magic weeks holiday very restful lovely countryside. Catherine was very helpful as our French … More
23 Sep 2013
"Splendide et reposant"
Troisième séjour à la Hoguette qui ne sera pas le dernier ! Calme absolu, nature luxuriante, jardins extraordinairement fleuris, paysages merveilleux, accueil très aimable et attentionné, gite u… More
15 Jul 2013
"The perfect oasis"
After a confusing start with holiday lettings La Hoguette looked perfect for a weekend away from Blighty. Catherine was the perfect host, knowledgeable about the area and friendly but still gave us our space. Falaise and Lisieux are short drives away should you want to visit a town.
when organising your trip do not rely on maps as there is also a village called La Hoguette, luckily it was only about 20 mins away but still caused a few scratched heads. Rely on Catherine's satnav instructions
We would definitely return to La Hoguette but next time for a little longer.
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
- 2 Years listed
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:22 Nov 2014
Based in France
Credit cards accepted
- 189 properties
- 116 properties
- 70 properties
- Dives sur Mer
- 68 properties
- Villers sur mer
- 60 properties
- 32 properties
- 28 properties
- 22 properties
- 17 properties
- 16 properties
- Blonville Sur Mer
- 13 properties
- 11 properties
- Pont l'Eveque
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- Merville Franceville Plage
- 7 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties
- Les Champeaux
- 6 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties