The Dairy at La Hoguette
House | 4 bedrooms | sleeps 9
• The Dairy is a comfortably restored half-timbered gite, set on the grounds of the 18th-century manor of La Hoguette in the Pays d'Auge area. A “propriété de maître” set on 9-acre grounds, it offers 2 independent self-catering holiday rental homes, both listed with Holiday Lettings: please also check Gites de La Hoguette, home 233008, and the Cottage, home 233010.
• The Dairy is still available over the holiday season, coming quite soon. Short lets are quite possible. Do enquire!
• Staying at our gites on the hill will make you feel on top of the world: each accommodation is absolutely private, with its own garden, amongst the safe and spacious surroundings of an attractive park and apple orchard.
• From the terrace, enjoy the outstanding panoramic views of the quiet unspoilt countryside, a breath of our fresh air, the famous Norman ever-changing light. On warm days, rest in the shade of the arbour, and on cooler days, enjoy the marble fire-place inside. Take a walk through the orchard to the swing set or to visit our two friendly Shetland ponies in the field nearby, who eagerly await treats.
• Only 10 minutes from amenities, the market-town of Saint-Pierre-sur-Dives and local restaurants.
• Centrally located for sightseeing Normandy: Deauville and Honfleur (35 miles), beaches (Cabourg, 25 miles), the Landing Beaches (35 miles), Monet's Giverny (65 miles), Mont Saint-Michel (85 miles).
• The Dairy can be rented individually, or together with the Cottage. Please check Gites de La Hoguette, home 233008.
• For a group of up to 3 people, the Dairy can be rented at the same conditions as the Cottage (home 233010).
• Baby and toddler equipment provided: highchair, 2 wooden cots, a changing station, baby-bath, safety gate.
• We are dog-friendly. Blankets and throw covers are provided.
|Size||Sleeps up to 9, 4 bedrooms|
|Nearest beach||Cabourg 45 km|
|Will consider||Corporate bookings, House swap, Long term lets (over 1 month), Short breaks (1-4 days)|
|Access||Car advised, Wheelchair users|
|Nearest Amenities||10 km|
|Nearest travel links||Nearest airport: Caen or Deauville 45 km, Nearest railway: Saint Pierre sur Dives 11 km|
|Family friendly||Great for children of all ages, Suitable for people with restricted mobility|
|Notes||Pets welcome, Yes, smoking allowed|
Features and Facilities
|Luxuries||Log fire, Internet access, DVD player|
|General||Central heating, TV, Satellite TV, Wi-Fi available|
|Standard||Kettle, Toaster, Iron, Hair dryer|
|Utilities||Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine|
|Rooms||4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms of which 1 Family bathrooms and 1 Shower rooms|
|Furniture||Single beds (5), Double beds (2), Cots (2), Dining seats for 9, Lounge seats for 11|
|Other||Linen provided, Towels provided, High chair|
|Outdoors||Balcony or terrace, Private garden, BBQ, Bicycles available, Swing set|
|Access||Wheelchair users, Secure parking|
|Further details indoors|
The floors in the Dairy are tiled throughout the house, but for the bedrooms which are carpeted. Heating is adjustable in each room using electric radiators. Wi-Fi broadband internet access and a (40)” LED TV (with Blu-ray/DVD player and Sky Satellite) are also provided. Only hypoallergenic organic cleaning products are used to clean the house, and provided for your stay.
The ground floor of the Dairy is accessible to persons with disabilities.
Ground floor: living/dining-room with splendid antique red-marble fireplace, comfortable double sofa, dining table and chairs. Two bedrooms, one with double bed, the other with two single beds. Fully equipped kitchen including 5-burner gas range, dishwasher. Bathroom with bathtub/shower, hand basin. Separate toilet room with washing machine.
Second floor: Two bedrooms, one with queen-size bed, the other with two single beds. Bathroom with shower, hand basin, WC. Mezzanine with single bed.
|Further details outdoors|
Enclosed private garden, with gas barbecue and garden furniture.
The garden is grassed throughout with a horn-beam arbour, offering spectacular views as far as Caen 30 miles away, and as close as the many birds in the orchard surrounding the garden. Take a walk through the orchard to the swing set or to visit our two ponies in the field nearby, who eagerly await treats. Enjoy a game of Pétanque Boules or Bocci. Mountain bikes for adults and BMX for children are available to go for a ride in the Norman countryside – but watch out, the rolling hills are quite hard on the legs!
Open all year round. Check-in time is 4.00 p.m., check out time is 10.00 a.m. (alternate times are possible if arranged ahead).
We live on site in the master house – we are be here to welcome you, and are on hand to help out if need be.
Linens & Bedding: we provide all the house linens - duvet covers, pillow-cases, fitted sheets, towels, dish (tea) towels, tablecloths, all 100% cotton, and dried by the fresh air of La Hoguette. We make all the beds prior to your arrival. Children's cots, bedding for the cots, and high-chairs are provided.
House Cleaning: we will have cleaned and prepared the house for your arrival on changeover day and checked the inventory. We expect that the accommodation will be left clean and in good order - we provide organic household cleaning supplies or alternatively cleaning services are available, if required at any time during your stay.
Smokers welcome – outside only please.
Dogs: your dogs are very welcome, FREE of charge. Please be mindful that the security deposit applies to them too.
Security Deposit: Your security deposit will be returned to you in full after departure. Eventual costs incurred for extra cleaning, or repairing damage or loss, will be deducted from the security deposit. (In our experience, deductions are rare.)
*Also included are basic staples in the kitchen, and the utilities (gas and electricity), for cooking, lighting, hot water, heating and the propane barbecue. Logs are provided for the open fire.
The Normandy region
With its 350 miles of coastline and richly varied landscapes, Normandy offers a wonderful choice of scenery and culture: the stunning beauty of the cliffs in Étretat or the long sandy beaches, steeped in history, from Caen to Arromanches, the Seine Valley winding between wooded hills and chalk escarpments, the craggy hills of the Suisse Normande, and the patchwork of fields and hedges of the Calvados county with its orchards and timber-framed cottages.
Calvados is one of the 3 "départements" (counties) of Lower Normandy, along with Manche and Orne.
Annexed by Roman legions and Viking adventurers, disputed for centuries by English and French kings, beach-head for D-Day armies, Normandy is a melting-pot of peoples and languages, a cross-roads where cultures and ideas, artefacts and produce, have met and mingled, giving it a rich heritage of traditions, monuments and history.
The Channel coast, the banks of the Seine River, Rouen, Honfleur, Giverny were home to the impressionist painters, inspired by the unique light of the Norman skies.
In Normandy you can experience every type of weather in a single day, meaning it is ever changing; the reason is the closeness of the sea with its changeable and innumerable winds. The climate is mild. Good levels of rain mean that the countryside is green but there are usually more sunny days than cloudy or rainy days. The weather does not get to the high temperatures seen elsewhere in France and it can be unpredictable. However occasional days reaching 80* F (27* C) are not unusual in the summer and the winter months are relatively mild.
In Montpinçon, you will be centrally located for sightseeing Normandy: Deauville and Honfleur (35 miles), beaches (Cabourg, 25 miles), the Landing Beaches (35 miles), Monet’s Giverny (65 miles), Mont Saint-Michel (85 miles), the local market (6 miles) or the lanes of our Montpinçon forest.
The best kept secret in Normandy: a privileged position of proximity, yet bucolic unspoilt countryside!
The Pays d’Auge is an area in Normandy, straddling the départements of Calvados, Orne and Eure. The main towns are Lisieux, Falaise, Pont L’Évêque, Deauville and Trouville.
Generally considered as the “true Normandy”, it is a landscape of apple orchards, quiet dales with verdant pastures and half-timbered manors.
It is noted for its cheeses - Pont L’Évêque, Camembert, Livarot, also names of villages only 10 and 6 miles away from La Hoguette. The Pays d'Auge has been granted the “appellation d’origine contrôlée”, the famous AOC, for its cheeses and for its cider, Pommeau and Calvados. General consensus states that the Normans of Pays d'Auge, with their AOC status, make the best cider.
• Falaise, 13 miles away, the birthplace of William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and King of England, is the cradle of the Anglo-Norman dynasty. Bearing witness to the great power of the Anglo-Norman Duke-Kings, this palace-keep is a rare example of medieval architecture combining both a military and a residential purpose.
• Lisieux, 15 miles away, is world-famous thanks to Therese Martin, better known as Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux. A town of pilgrimage, it has retained many tokens of its rich past – the "Canonical Quarter", the 12th century cathedral, the Episcopal Palace, the hôtel du Haut Doyenné, the Bishop's Palace Garden, the 17th century courthouse.
• The Château de Saint-Germain-de-Livet, "The Wonder of the Pays d'Auge": this little fortress nestling in the bottom of a valley is a true gem, with its coloured stone and green-varnished bricks. Built in the 16th century, it is one of the most precious examples of architecture in the Pays d'Auge in the Renaissance period. The interior is embellished with 18th and 19th century furniture and 16th century frescoes.
• The CERZA animal park, 17 miles away, at Hermival-les-Vaux: 500 wild animals in an area of over 123 acres. A Safari Train takes visitors on tours of the park.
• Le Pin National Stud farm, « Versailles for horses » is 13 miles away. Discover the world of horses through an exceptional heritage handed down over the centuries since Louis the 14th - its architecture, its landscapes, pedigree horses, 18th Century château and stable blocks, a delight for seniors and young alike.
• The Channel sea resorts such as Cabourg 25 miles away, Deauville and Trouville.
• Enjoy a stroll and a café crème at the local markets, there is one for each day of the week: Saint-Pierre-sur-Dives on Mondays, the most famous, well-attended since the 13th century, but also Argentan on Tuesdays, Orbec on Wednesdays, Falaise or Lisieux on Saturdays.
• Visit the annual exhibition at The Folk Museum of Le Billot, 1 mile away, right in Montpinçon, always about some aspect of life in Pays d’Auge from prehistory to 1945.
• Tennis, kayaking, swimming-pool 7 m. away.
• Aquacentre 13 m. away.
• Horseback-riding, angling & fishing, golfing 3 m. away.
• Mountain biking, hiking right in the lanes and the woods of Montpinçon
• Paragliding and hand-gliding, right in Montpinçon
• Rock-climbing 20 m. away in Suisse Normande
• Horse races at the many race-tracks – the very local such as Saint-Pierre-sur-Dives or the more prestigious like Deauville.
• Promenades musicales en Pays d’Auge in July and August, at least 40 concerts in at times surprising locations, within a radius of 20 miles
• Septembre musical de l’Orne in September, within a radius of 50 miles
• Equestrian events at Le Pin National Stud farm
Availability Your dates are available
Guest reviewsPowered by TripAdvisor
Guest reviews no reviews
Guest reviews Powered by TripAdvisor
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
- 1 star
Help other travellers decide where to stay
Add your voice to the conversation about this holiday home and your review will appear on TripAdvisor too.Write a review
23 Aug 2014
"Excellent family Gite with friendly helpful owner"
The Gite was extremely clean with all amenities for an extended family and pet to allow us to relax and enjoy our holiday. The contained large garden was big enough for an energetic Dalmatian and te… More
30 May 2014
"Lovely peaceful gite"
We have just spent a week in this lovely gite. The owner, Catherine, was so welcoming and so knowledgable about the local area, we would not have been able to pack as much into our week without her ad… More
10 Mar 2014
"Nice home , at the countyside"
Very nice farm house, well equiped in the middle of Normandy.Owner speaks fluent english and we had great communication before arrival !We were 2 families travelling together , and the house accomodat… More
2 Feb 2014
Deuxième visite (première fois 2003).Jolie gîte, bien équipée. Propriétaire aimable et sympa. Pas trop 'd'administration'.Correcte. Nous étions à 6 > assez d'espace.Vill… More
1 Feb 2014
"A beautiful gite in a spectacular location"
This beautifully restored property has a stunning view from its spacious garden, where we spent many a relaxing evening enjoying a drink as the sun set. The group of historic buildings the property si… More
26 Jan 2014
Un séjour ludique pour toute la famille dans un cadre agréable et avec une propriétaire à l'écoute.Ne pas hésiter.… More
22 Oct 2013
The cottage was clean, tidy and cosy. The children and their Grandfather were very impressed with the cottage, particularly the ponies, that they fed and stroked daily. Although the countryside and vi… More
22 Jun 2013
Stayed for 6 nights with my family (5 children). Catherine Rigaud, the owner, was very helpful in trying to find adequate activities, and providing the most comfort possible.The house was simple but v… More
5 May 2013
"A serene, beautiful setting for a lovely home away from home."
We stayed at the Dairy for a week; our son visited for several days while we were there. The home could have easily accommodated several more. The home was very well equipped for our stay. We cooked… More
18 Mar 2013
"Even helemaal weg in een gite!"
Wij zochten een plekje om even een lang weekend af te koelen van werk- en studeerstress en vonden Catherines gites in Normandie. Het feit dat we 's avonds laat aankwamen bleek geen probleem te zi… More
You need to pay through the Holiday Lettings website to ensure your payment is protected. We can’t protect your payment if you don’t pay through us.Learn more
You're booking with
- 2 Years listed
100% Response rate
Calendar last updated:28 Oct 2014
Based in France
Credit cards accepted
- 194 properties
- 121 properties
- Dives sur Mer
- 75 properties
- 71 properties
- Villers sur mer
- 61 properties
- 40 properties
- 32 properties
- Pont l'Eveque
- 26 properties
- 22 properties
- 16 properties
- 16 properties
- Blonville Sur Mer
- 13 properties
- 11 properties
- 10 properties
- Merville Franceville Plage
- 7 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties
- 6 properties
- Les Champeaux
- 6 properties
- 6 properties